We're mad as hell about iOS games that cost money, have ads, and/or any IAP at all.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tsharpfilm, Nov 3, 2009.

?

Is Canabalt worth $2.99?

1. Yes

213 vote(s)
    35.0%
  2. No

293 vote(s)
    48.2%
  3. Not my type of game

102 vote(s)
    16.8%
  1. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

#2061 Spamcan, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
    The issue isn't the price itself, it's the fact that it costs more then it's XBLA/PSN counterparts which have multiplayer and physical controls. Very rarely do iPhone games cost more then their console counterparts and do so with less features. In fact I can't think of a single example other then this where that's the case.

I would have totally been willing to pay the $12 for it anyway if it had iPad 1 support. Now I'm thinking my money is better spent on a half dozen iCade compatible titles I haven't picked up yet or Chrono Trigger.

2. Madman100

Madman100 Well-Known Member

Jul 6, 2011
    Hold that thought^, that's my new sig.

3. helriser

helriser Well-Known Member

Oct 28, 2011
    So tell us genius how exactly was the iOS version supposed to have physical controls?

You all need to stop crying. Either buy the damn game or stfu and move on!

Aren't those garbage final fantasy games always $12 to $15? Yet ff fans never complain. So buy or go away!

4. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    13$ for a 12 year old game is extremely expensive when something like shadowgun (new game with a meaty , after the update, campaign and shiny graphics ) costs 5$ .

If Namco wanted to sell an expensive game they should port something more recent or , God forbid , make an exclusive IOS game like EA did with dead space .

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Final Fantasy Tactics.

As I understand it, the XBLA/PSN versions are emulated, with the original graphics. This one runs natively and has upgraded/retina graphics. The physical controls are neither here nor there (it's the nature of the platform), but I'd gladly pay an extra $2 for a game that actually looks good on a hi-res screen.

6. Spamcan

Spamcan Well-Known Member

FFT for PSP is $10 on Amazon right now, it's $16 on iOS.

I honestly haven't played the game on XBLA so I'm willing to yield my argument on the graphics front. Maybe the iOS version really does look significantly better. If that's worth the extra couple of bucks to you then go for it. As I stated originally Soul Calibur is totally worth $12 but the lack of iPad 1 support is a dealbreaker for me, at least for now.

Well for one thing I was planning on using bluetrol to make it iCade compatible but that's moot since it doesn't support iPad 1. That's really here nor there, the fact is it's a game designed around physical controls and multiplayer and this version has nether at a higher cost.

7. famousringo

famousringo Well-Known Member

Jul 25, 2011
    That's what I wanted to hear. For a tight port and a universal app, $12 sounds like a worthy price tag.

Though I do think Namco might have seen more revenue if they'd priced the game below the psychological threshold of $10.

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Totally agree, a slightly cheaper price and i'm sure they would get even more sales as the rest of us who are sitting on the fence will get it. At the moment it seems mostly the huge fans of the original, the rest who 'wouldnt mind it but arent too bothered' wont get it till it drops in price a bit.

But these high priced games recently worry me a bit, if companies arent making tons of money constantly from iOS and they dont want to go to IAP route then i think we'll see more and more prices like this.

9. Trysis3

Trysis3 Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    pretty pricey for a IOS app TBH

10. SuperSah

SuperSah Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    England, UK.
    Yeah, for a 10 year old game, it's very expensive, i'll still get it. Depends how well it performs on iPod Touch 4G.

11. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    The game looks incredible in the video with the retina, but the sky-high price IS a deal-breaker to me, and for that reason, I don't think I'll be getting it, though from the quality, I AM somewhat tempted. Thirteen bucks for this and this may hurt sales considerably, I'm afraid. Oh, well, that's the way it goes. Can you imagine if they have the nerve to add IAP in there, too?

12. atopix

atopix Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2011
    The price whiners seriously need to QFT.

This isn't 10 minutes of effort. It's a full on port of an incredible arcade/console game that has retained EVERYTHING in the transition, while being OPTIMIZED in updated retina graphics to make it look better than ever. Nothing has been skimped or overlooked. It's apparent a lot of work and effort went into this PREMIUM title. $12 to own this incredibly nurtured classic on your iPhone/iPad is a steal!

13. fulcizombie

fulcizombie Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2011
    give me a break why wouldn't a 12 year old game retain everything for devices as powerful as the ipad2 and the iphone4/s ? Have you seen how soul caliber destiny looks on the psp ?
    The price is a rip off and an insult to ios users AND a valid topic of discussion in a thread about this game .

14. Ayjona

Ayjona Well-Known Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Freelance journalist and writer, amateur musician
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Actually, both multiplayer and story mode seem to be gone from the iOS version of SC.

But that really doesn't matter in the context of your argument, as I agree completely in that the game is worth $12 or more :)

15. Gegoben

Gegoben Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2010
    VIrginia
    Skimpy?

Wasn't there an adventure mode?

16. bigrand1

bigrand1 Well-Known Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Geriatric Party Animal
    California, USA
    #2076 bigrand1, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012
    Yup! The price IS a valid issue here, and the points you brought up are some of the reasons why!
    +1!
    How it controls on the touch screen could be a whole 'nother deal, too! Know what I'm sayin'?

17. Triscuitable

Triscuitable Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2011
    Games Journalist
    Seattle, WA
    Let's just rally against Namco to get them to lower the price. We did it for a PC port of Dark Souls!

18. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Nostalgia has always been a huge cash cow in the appstore. lol....it provides opportunities for companies to give older games a 2nd life and milk the franchise to the max.

The high price tags are obviously targeted at a niche group of people who are willing to fork out that amount to ...eh...relive some fond memories.

19. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

Thanks for my new signature.

20. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    #2080 Vovin, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

LOL! Just read your post after I posted my response to this.
    Maybe we should add that 15$+ is like declaring the WWIII: "OMG, 15 bucks! It's like the devs bombed my home country!".