Gameplay videos: with or without fingers?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by lif, Feb 26, 2013.

1. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    So my new game Aureus has just been submitted, and the release date is targeted for march 12. While it's in review I'm working on some basic promo material such as a small website, the emails I will send to blogs etc.

My biggest challenge is in making a video. I don't have the talent, nor the time, nor the budget to make a proper trailer, so I just want something which shows the gameplay. It won't really be used publicly, but I want to include it to the pitches I'll send to potential reviewers.

I'm not sure whether I should use footages straight from the phone, or use a separate camera which would also show my fingers. Any opinion?

Here's what I have so far:

Straight from phone using Reflector:
    http://youtu.be/IlV5gfmnZlc

Using my MBA's iSight:
    http://youtu.be/cBy2ZTxBh4A

I don't know why the webcam one is so blurry. Maybe I was too close from the camera. I'll try to make a better one if you think the webcam better show the gameplay. Thanks!

2. nazgul47

nazgul47 New Member

Jan 12, 2012
    I think the webcam Video is better, because you actually see where the screen is tapped. But I would go for a better camera, maybe a dlsr with video.

3. polygonplay

polygonplay Well-Known Member

I agree, the webcam video is much better.

4. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    If you can get an animated hand to layer on top of your 1st video that would work.

If you go with a real hand, maybe find a girl with nice hands. Not saying you got bad hands or anything :).

5. DevonMiller

DevonMiller Member

Nov 12, 2012
    I prefer showing a hand.

Also, thanks for letting me know about Reflector. This is the one you're talking about right?

https://www.reflectorapp.com/

6. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Thanks all! My own dlsr is too old to record movies, but I'm going to borrow a friend's tomorrow and shoot a new video.

And yes Devon, that's the app I used. It works quite well, but beware that you need a relatively recent device (it doesn't work with the previous generation of iPod touch).

7. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
  8. ilStugots

ilStugots Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Please for the love of god if you go the finger route, clean and trim your fingernails properly. There is nothing worse than watching a gameplay video of some disgusting nerd developer with poor hygene.

9. lif

lif Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2012
    Developer
    Paris
    Hu, was that a generic remark? 'cause my nails, which are barely visible in the video, are perfectly cleaned and trimmed. Projecting much :)?