Designing dilemmas : any solution?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by NAFNA GAMES, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Jakintosh

Jakintosh Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Game Designer/Programmer
    Montreal, QC
    I totally agree with you BlindAlbino, you really need to have a strong core vision, and trust those responsible for these decisions to be making the right ones. When you start second guessing things you start to lose sight of what the original goal was. Our team actually ran into this on our last project, where we purposefully left out a common HUD element as a statement, but then users complained and we made compromises. In the end, we ended up feeling bad about caving on our vision, and players were still not satisfied.

In all design work, you should really be thinking about what the user wants to do on any screen, in addition to what they NEED to be able to do. In the case of your menu NAFNA, the most important thing is that they want to play the game, and that should be front and center in your UI. Looking at the two mockups you posted, I would say that the red hexagonal buttons are closer to the theme, but the art style is different than the background; perhaps give them a shading pass much like the pink buttons on the other mockup. Overall that main menu looks pretty solid, and I'm glad you're taking UI seriously: it can really make or break a game.

Anyway, can't wait to see how the game turns out!

-Jak

2. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    thank you + solution

first i must thank all for some very useful and detailed responses ... yeah! lets make making games even better!

apparently we will opt for a mid term solution! sometimes the best way is the midlle way!

[​IMG]

thanks all ... share your design decisions ... my opinion is nothing more than just my opinion, but than again ... two extra eyes (?!)

3. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    That would be, ~ 70-80%?
    The earth doesn't speak english. Notably they don't speak english when they just finished a hard day at work and want to do something relaxing, like playing a game on their phone.

So, while I looked at your comment again because I thought it was such a great summary of my own thoughts on the matter of yellow vs pink vs round vs square buttons, using icons is... heck... it's kinda nice.

4. tea

tea Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2010
    A lot of the time i'm practically a one man time. Doing things 200% doesn't bring any good, as I learned the hard way.

On the latest screenshot, the row of 4 buttons should be a few pixels down, looks unbalanced.

I surely appreciate that you put love and care in your work!

5. NAFNA GAMES

NAFNA GAMES Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2013
    do stuff during the day. indie developer at night.
    Barcelona.
    #25 NAFNA GAMES, Mar 19, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
    dilemma #871 ... more!

TA gang,

this is so great, thanks all for participating! Asslay Gore is gona be, and i will publicly recognize it, an app designed with assistance of some/the TA forum community.

we have gone through 2 screens; a level ticket/button screen and the main menu!

what happens when a Asslay Gore player (view TA thread) runs out of lives?, makes to many mistakes? ... BBUUU .. game over (actually just this run)! and thats it? obviously not, the options should be these:

• see score,
    • friends score,
    • replay,
    • win a gift for achievement,
    • share,
    • go home.

how do we design it? well i scribble all options i can think of, and then pass them over to P.Roca the designer/illustrator/animator.

lets see first my scribbles:

[​IMG]

ja ja ja .... ( i almost feel embarrassed), now lets see what a pro can do:

[​IMG]

and this is his first go.

what comments should i pass on? what do you guys think?

thanks a lot.

( p.s. a commentary on member Tea`s note: " just finished a hard day at work and want to do something relaxing, like playing a game on their phone"!
    relaxing?
    no thanks mate, i actually learned today the term "twitch games", or as we call it hard core casual ... im doing my best to make the Asslay Gore game play distractive, but nothing relaxing!)