Auto Warriors - Tactical Car Combat

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Gunjin Games, Jun 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    Hi, we’re Gunjin Games and this is our first game, Auto Warriors! Auto Warriors is a F2P, turn-based car combat game.

[​IMG]

Wait, what? Turn-based car combat???

Yup, we've come up with what we believe is a unique balance of explosive, action packed battles, strategic, extensive vehicle customisation and, yes, turn-based car combat! Check out our trailer to get an idea of what we mean.

We chose turn-based strategy gameplay as we wanted success to be based on tactical decision making in the garage and on the battlefield rather than twitch-based skills. It also means that you can have more precise control over your vehicle for jumps, stunts and handbrake turns and you can pause and view the ongoing mayhem between turns Matrix-style, which is pretty cool if we say so ourselves.

[​IMG]

At the end of every tournament we stitch all the turns together to present you with a real-time replay of the battle. In fact all of the cinematic action footage in the trailer was from actual game replays. Realtime physics + combat cars + explosions = some damn fun (and funny) videos!

[​IMG]

Who are you? Do you even know how to turn on a phone?

This is our first game as Gunjin Games. We love games and come from diverse but hugely experienced gaming backgrounds. From AAA console racers (Split/Second, Moto GP, Burnout Revenge) to successful MMOs (Guild Wars 2, Blade & Soul) and mobile titles (Race Team Manager).

[​IMG]

We’re looking forward to hearing what you think of Auto Warriors and can’t wait to share more with you soon on our website, Facebook and Twitter pages.

2. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Old Car Wars player here, I'm looking forward to playing this! :cool:

3. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    Awesome! Car Wars was one of our influences when making Auto Warriors.

4. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Another Car Wars (and Steve Jackson) fan here. This looks awesome. Sounds like you are getting close to release.

5. Tinsel

Tinsel Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2008
    #5 Tinsel, Jun 10, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2016
    Huge Car Wars and SJ fan here! (I still have my old C64 boxes of Ogre and Car Wars).

Edit: it is pretty fun starting out. It kind of reminds me of another ios game I played recently called Winter State.

A quick question: it seems like there are more possible upgrades than some weapons/chassis have upgrade slots. Can these be reset or redone in any way if you don't like how you upgraded that item? Or would you have to purchase another copy of it and start over?

6. dragonx91

dragonx91 Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Looking awesome. If you are looking for beta testers, I would like to apply. Thanks

7. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Great! Can't wait... Looks good

8. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    I'm really enjoying it. Being an old tabletop Car Wars player and having long since given up on an Autoduel reboot, this fills a very specific void in my life. :)

Gameplay is solid, similar to Steambirds or Ace Patrol in terms of movement mechanics and simultaneous turn execution. It has the usual F2P trappings: upgrade timers, mystery boxes for equipment parts, you can hire crew (armorer, engineer, etc.) for temporary boosts, and a VIP program for spending.

Plays fine on my 5S, but I'm old and farsighted so the UI text is far too small for me. I'll be switching to tablet tonight.

9. PROAPK

PROAPK Well-Known Member

Nov 12, 2015
    PROAPK CHANNEL
    Looks interesting, I'll try this game.

10. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    Hi all, thanks for your kind words. We're really excited to hear that you like the look of Auto Warriors!

Tinsel and Saucepolicy, glad to hear you're enjoying the game so far! Re your questions/feedback:
    • * @Tinsel: Currently each weapon has a maximum number of available stat upgrades you can perform on it. You can choose to allocate these across the different stats as you choose (some have their own limits). When you choose a stat to upgrade there is a short timer on this stat before the upgrade completes, and then you can upgrade that stat again. So in other words, you could choose an accuracy upgrade for your rocket launcher, then either wait for it to complete or finish it instantly using Gold, then apply another accuracy upgrade and repeat the process. You can upgrade multiple different stats at the same time. This system lets players really tweak their weapon builds to focus on the aspects that they care about most. Note, I say that this is how it currently works as there are a few small changes to the weapon upgrade system coming in our next soft-launch build that we've based on player feedback. In general it will function very similar to what you're seeing now, but better. This will include a way for you to replace the weapon kits you apply to a weapon, though the individual stat upgrades you've done can't be undone. Weapon kits offer BIG stat changes allowing for some really interesting weapon development strategies.
    • * @Saucepolicy: Thanks for the feedback! We'll investigate how we can improve that.

Once again, we're really stoked to hear you can't wait to play Auto Warriors, and we can't wait to share more information about the game with you!

11. kripa1415`

kripa1415` Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2012
    i knew race car games or war games but this is fantastic !!! I love this idea ! I love the fact we can choose and design our car ! When will it be released ?

12. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    Hi kripa1415, I'm loving your excitement! We'll be sharing more information re our launch plans in the not too distant future.

In the meantime we've just written a new blog post that gives a bit of a glimpse behind the scenes at the studio and a look at what has inspired Auto Warriors. Check it out at http://bit.ly/1S3YTGT

13. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    For those looking for some competitive action, we've just published a blog post about PvP that you'll enjoy: http://bit.ly/1XrGyeG

14. JamesFenway

JamesFenway Member

Jun 7, 2016
    Awesome!!! I will try this game...looks time killing

15. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    Some weekend reading material for you all. Part 1 of Auto Warriors: Prologue is now available!

[​IMG]

16. Saucepolicy

Saucepolicy Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Feb 18, 2009
    Crispy ex-game developer
    Really enjoying the game...is there a method that the game uses to determine where the "curve handle" on the path is placed? Sometimes it's close to the car, other times its near the middle. Is that based on velocity carrying over from the prior turn?

One request from an old tabletop player: the inclusion of risky maneuvers like handbrake turns, bootlegger reverse and drift. IF you take a look at Ace Patrol for example, they would be the equivalent of evasive maneuvers. In your game it should carry the risk of flipping, blowing out a tire (permanent speed penalty) etc.

That said, I haven't had a campaign match last more than 3-ish seconds so far (in-game time, not real time) so perhaps that's one layer of complexity too many.

17. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    Hi Saucepolicy. You’ve hit the nail on the head there! Momentum carries over from one turn to the next, and you can drag the movement reticule beyond where you’ll reach in the following 2-second phase of play. The mid-point that you can adjust is in the middle of the distance travelled in a turn. The line colour and dashed texture indicate the speed and how far you’ll move in the actual 2-seconds vs. what is being predicted beyond that appearing as a solid line.

Handbrake turns, bootlegger reversing, etc. are in there to an extent. You’ll have to get momentum and your turn just right in order to pull some of these moves off though. Your car/wheel choice as well as the terrain also impact how easy these are to pull off. We’ve been experimenting with other ways to add moves like this into the gameplay, but none of them have met our fun standards yet.

You should also find that the further you progress into the campaign, the trickier the battles become and the rounds will last a little longer. (especially once you come up against multiple opponents in the same round)

On a related note, here’s a skid-kill we managed to pull off over the weekend! :cool:

[​IMG]

18. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    It's been a really busy week here at Gunjin Games, but we have some great new information to share with you!
    • * Our new 1.08 update just went live, bringing video sharing, 3D touch support, an expanded car upgrade system, a new Evasion stat, improved graphics and loads more. All the details can be found here: http://bit.ly/28Tj4yC
    • * We've also released the second part of our web comic - Auto Warriors: Prologue: http://bit.ly/28VgK7z
    • * Finally, we've written up a blog post about the many vehicles that can be found in Auto Warriors. There are big strategic differences between them that you'll need to master to overcome your enemies and climb to the top of the leaderboards. Learn more at http://bit.ly/28Lbrr3

19. zigazi

zigazi Member

Jun 24, 2016
    Looks good.
    Great game.

20. Gunjin Games

Gunjin Games Member

Jun 10, 2016
    UK
    This week we've been continuing with getting the game ready for global launch. We'll have more details to share wiht you about that in the not too distant future!

Here's a few updates you'll want to check out:
    * In this week's deep dive we take a closer look at the Dealer Challenge game mode. Take loan car into combat scenario designed to test your strategic thinking to the limits: http://bit.ly/297c9Pv
    * Auto Warriors: Prologue - Part Three is now available: http://bit.ly/29c60E7
    * Last week we gave you a look at the cars, now feast your eyes on the many different weapons you can arm them with: http://bit.ly/28U3gKr
    * We've added video sharing via Everyplay (http://bit.ly/291qzQb) and have started seeing some great videos come in from those in our soft-launch countries. Here's a cool one from DerekThePuny: http://bit.ly/2978AGd Can't wait to see what other crazy videos you all start creating soon!