Universal Strategy with the iPad 3?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by spidey, Mar 17, 2012.

1. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Considering the file sizes are really getting gigantic with the new iPad, how are devs planning iPad support with new iPad?

1. Full Universal version with iPad 3 retina resolution? That'd eat a lot of space for the older devices?

2. Separate version for SD and HD versions? This still means that iPad and iPad 2 owners have their space eaten up, but it spares the iPhone and iPod users. I personally hope this route doesnt become the preferred choice since I have both an iPad and iPod, and prefer my games universal.

3. A separate app for iPad 3 all together to spare the older devices of the misery of having to deal with large files.

PS: iPad 3 really needed a memory bump with the retina display.

2. lucifon

lucifon Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Apple seriously need to make Universal apps forced. Having separate HD versions is just an excuse to charge extra for the sake of it. I never realised just how bad it was until I got the new iPad on Friday. Having bought over 100 apps for my iPhone 4, the amount of them which I'm forced to rebuy for 3-6 times the price I paid for the original is insane...

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    A lot of the time all of the graphics you see have to be redrawn for the higher resolution, so there's absolutely nothing wrong with charging more for that much extra work.

4. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    I am perfectly ok if devs charge more for the iPad apps. But at least make the iPad app universal. If the app is not universal, Separate HD universal and SD apps are the best way to go. I can not imagine that this is anymore work then having two separate apps for iPad and iPod.

Anyways, as an iPad 2 and ipod user, I am really getting cranky over the file size bumps for iPad 3 display. I have some massive games on my iPad. I will have to delete quite a few of them if they all start doubling in size.

5. CharredDirt

CharredDirt Well-Known Member

Considering how much bigger our new game would be, we've decided to go 1024x768 with it. I feel that iPad 3 users are very in the minority now and it would really punish users of older devices. Plus, with cartoony style graphics, you're less apt to notice the difference.

6. farmboy74

farmboy74 Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Uk
    I think that it will be best to have separate HD and SD versions as a universal app would eat into the hard drives of the older devices

7. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Or at the very least, allow developers to link IAP between the 'same' app.

I'm not that keen to double-dipping on apps, but I really hate the idea of having to buy the exact same IAP for each. (GoF, Elite Collection, etc...)