Face On Runner?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by frazermerrick, Jul 9, 2015.

1. frazermerrick

frazermerrick Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Composer
    England
    Got a great idea for a runner-style game, but having some problems working out what angle to put the player.

I feel like 'over the shoulder' has been done to death, and in this the character(s) its quite important to see the fact/front of the character. I like the alternative of semi-side on, like Stickman Rush with their semi-side on isometric style

Has anybody ever done a face-on runner? So the obastacles come at you from the bottom of the screen? I know this would give you less time to react, but I'm just interested to see if anybody had made this work before?

2. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    There, fixed it.

If you're concerned about originality of your idea, then you're looking at the wrong game "genre". Endless runners have been done to death with thousands of different themes, thousands of art styles, thousands of different genre mixes and all possible camera angles - third person, side view, first person view, isometric, top-down, the camera facing the front of the runner - what have you.

3. frazermerrick

frazermerrick Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Composer
    England
    I have no concern over the originality of my idea, merely the gameplay perspective. The idea is a twist on the Boulder Rush levels on Crash Bandicoot, but with a puzzle element.

Personally, I'd never dismiss a gamely merely because of its genre. As I love it when somebody reinvigorates a genre. Did you play Alto's Adventure? Thats a showcase in beautiful side-on parallax, and I loved how Relic Run bought Lara Croft into the world of mobile runners with some really exciting gameplay. But hey, each to their own :)

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Check Corridor Z.

5. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    #5 Elsa, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2015
    Most people are easily impressed by little changes in mini-games. But then they go out and call games like CoD completely unoriginal. Quite hypocritical, but hey, I've given up on most peoples' opinions.

I have no doubt that you'll make it work though. And yes, face-on has been done before, the best known iOS examble being Corridor Z, though there aren't any obstacles popping up from the bottom of the screen. The developers fixed that frustrating game element by simply having to fend of the horde behind you with the occasional corridor turn that is announced by an escape sign. This means that the reaction can be a bit delayed without feeling awkward, allowing the unconventional camera position (i.e. main selling point of the game).

6. Jayg2015

Jayg2015 Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Male
    Player 1
    Liberty city
    Yes I've played a couple runners where you see the front of them . But there aren't enough out there, if done right it would be a great way to play. I would play it . Runners are one of my fav genres. Don't listen to anyone that say it's been done to death. Every genre has thousands of games. They just don't like the genre but you have people like that with any genre.
    I'll be sure to play .

7. Elsa

Elsa Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2015
    Arendelle
    I never said I didn't like it. I played quite a lot of Temple Run. I just said these types of games aren't original.

And it certainly doesn't help that endless runners are one of the main representatives of what's wrong with todays mobile gaming.

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

I want a runner where you have complete control over where you go and the game generates as you play. Think of it like a fast platformer, but 3D. You move with an analog and can turn around and junk.

9. frazermerrick

frazermerrick Member

Jul 3, 2015
    Composer
    England
    Check out the original crash bandicoot series, it's 'Boulder Rush' levels were pretty much that! I'd also recommend checking out the new 'down the mountain' by Umbrella games, that has a definite puzzle element to a face on runner :)