iPad iMAME (iOS iMAME4ALL in App Store) by Jim VanDeventer

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by AnarKitty, Dec 21, 2011.

1. albertone74

albertone74 Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Hi RCranium666/SuperWeird/devensega,
    Many thanks for your responses. I think I am going to jailbreak it as I can't live without my mame;)
    As far as you know guys is it possible to jailbreak it with the latest ios 5.1?
    Also, am I allowed here to ask how to do it? If so could you please send me the link where I can download all the relevant files?
    Many thanks

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thats a stupid thing to say. Imagine if in 10-20 years time there's an emulator to play your old iOS games on when ioS might be extinct. You would love it. Playing those old classics. Then some stupid kid says how rubbish the game are as they're old or look bad. Just stupid. It's like someone dismissing any black and white films or non-cgi films

3. RCranium666

RCranium666 Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Not yet. I think 1on1c has jailbroken 5.1, but it hasn't been released yet. Wait for the untethered version.

4. albertone74

albertone74 Member

Mar 21, 2012
    OK thanks I will for sure.Do you believe it will happen soon? I am just impatient to install the mame again:D

5. e_sweezy

e_sweezy Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Has anyone found a version of 720 that works and the controls work well?

6. Lesbird

Lesbird Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Hi Justin,

On my website that you linked to you can download the iMame Xcode project. In order to use it you'll need to sign up as an iOS developer with Apple, $99/year, and download and install Xcode to your Mac. You can then build a version of iMame and install it directly to your own non-jailbroken iPad using my Xcode project files.

- Les

7. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Not sure if you figured this out yet. What you want to do is setup the iControlPad to use special packet mode then when prompted by iMame to use iCade or iControlPad, select iControlPad. You'll then be able to use the analog controllers in your games. There's a drawback to this though, the iControlPad will send a lot of bluetooth data when the analog nubs are moved so to get decent performance you'll need an iPad 2 or better.

Go to my website using the link at bottom for more information.

- Les

8. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Freeze, can you send me the files to get this to work and I'll update my iMame4all Xcode project. Contact me via the email link on my website (linked below).

- Les

9. RCastle

RCastle Member

Aug 30, 2011
    IMAME and new ipad

Hello, does this Imame version work with the new Ipad? I thought it did, but can someone check it please? The non jailbreak version, of course. Best regards

10. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    You can still install iMame on your device without jailbreaking but you'll have to join the iOS developer program through Apple and download Xcode. You can then download my iMame4All Xcode project and build and install it directly to your own device, without jailbreaking. The iOS developers program costs $99/year. Yes, that's a hefty price to pay just to install iMame but you can also download my mirror of the iDOS emulator (DOSBOX) for the iPad and install that too. See the link below.

- Les

11. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Yes, I have a new iPad and it works just fine.

- Les

12. RCranium666

May 28, 2010
    Ditto. Just can't use Bluetooth wii controller. Anybody got a dual analog game pad working on this?

13. TommyIII

TommyIII Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2010
    OMG Retina

OMG! Pulstar on the iPad Retina Display ain't a game! The games looks sick!

14. Lesbird

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Game Programmer
    Boston Massachusetts
    Right now for non jailbroken iOS devices you can use the iControlPad but the performance isn't the best due to the nubs sending so much Bluetooth data. I've added support for the 60beat gamepad to the iMame4All Xcode project and the performance of the dual analog sticks is excellent, but you need to use headphones to hear the audio due to the way the 60beat controller works.

So far there's no perfect answer for dual analog sticks on non jailbroken devices.

- Les

15. RCranium666

May 28, 2010

Hey thanks! The 60beat gamepad was what I was thinking of.:cool:

16. dogface

dogface Well-Known Member

Got this app when it came out but didn't bother to use it (doh!). Now finally got round to opening it up and super excited!

It took a while to find software that worked with my phone. Ended up using iFunbox after trying a couple of others.

I've only downloaded a couple of games so far but I've read through this entire thread and made a list of games to get. It was quite an enjoyable read ( excluding the Pokemon questions) and I learnt a few things, so all good.

I might have missed this but but didn't see an answer. Is there any way to convert other MAME rom sets to this older version?

17. kerberospkg

kerberospkg Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Some of them Yes, especially for those NEOGEO games, there exist some patch file to convert them.
    But I will more recommend you to find the aged ROM for iMAME directly, this will save you some time...

18. Mak75

Mak75 Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Just found out mame4ios emulates vs super mario bros.... Brilliant its only 37kb rom but its great fun.

I wish virtua striker was emulated properly on mame... Even the pc versions dont work.

19. Mirai

Mirai Active Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Is there a compatibility list anywhere for this?
    Really curious to know if any Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter games work on this version?

20. devensega

devensega Well-Known Member

Feb 28, 2011
    You have to get the right rom set for this version of MAME. It escapes me at the moment but should be mentioned right at the start of this thread.