Suggestion - Mods please let a member know his post was edited

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by spikeyflip, Jan 11, 2013.

1. spikeyflip

spikeyflip Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    QA lead
    Northern California
    Oops made a mistake on thread name, should be Mods please let the poster know their post was edited.

Hi guys,

Already sent a pm to Red1 but it would be helpful and imho common courtesy to let the poster know that their post was edited.

I had a post on the cute kill thread on the upcoming ipod/iphones forum about my interest on testing it but for some reason the dev didn't reply to me, I also had him pm but apparently was ignored. FYi, I wasn't spamming the dev or wrote anything inappropriate.

As I checked the thread again, I saw that my post was edited by Red1 and I checked what was edited. For some reason he removed my request to test it.

I wouldn't have minded if I was pm about this or maybe a reply was added stating my post was edited but nothing of any sort was done.

If I did anything wrong please pm me but I felt that I've done nothing to violate forum rules.

Thanks !

Euge aka spikeyflip

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    This is a nice suggestion. Since the "new" mods came along I've had a couple of posts edited that probably wouldn't have been before. I'm not gonna moan about their decisions, but it's nice to know that something has been changed. In one case I had a post edited that actually gave the impression I was saying something different to what I originally meant. Honest mistake by whoever did the editing, but it was just luck I stumbled across it and corrected it.

3. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
    Hi Euge,

I sent you a PM response earlier confirming that I made a mistake and that you did nothing wrong.

Cheers, Red1.

4. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

I can ensure you that Red1 is one of the few Mods that always will let you know why he had removed something from your Post by sending you a PM/Commenting about it in the Edit Section right after he had done the Edit or later if he was busy when he had done it.

5. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Well as I said - It`s like an unwritten rule. If he edit something he will let you know why.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Only posts i've edited are ones which have swear words or they try to get past that by adding asterisks to a swear word. So i replace those with non-swearwords

But i presumed at the bottom of the message people can see 'edited by psj...' etc ? I thought everyone could see that ? So if someone isnt happy that i amended their swearword they could contact me ?

7. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    If I've edited someone's posts (for swears, for example), I always leave a note. You'll find a number of "Mind your language. :)" comments I've left behind (I recall a couple of Sanuku's posts) and most recently I sent the Cute Kill developer a private message letting him know I wasn't tampering with his posts, but merging a thread he made with one that already existed (and subsequently changing the link he posted in the upcoming thread to the merged thread's link).

As the newest mod here, I feel compelled to say something. I know you're not implying it, but this can't possibly be me. If a post breaks the TA rules, is inappropriate or just simply shouldn't be there, I'll flat-out delete it and take further action if needed...but I won't tamper with what's being said in any posts (other than, as mentioned above, altering expletives and censor bypasses). That's just retarded.

8. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    A little off topic but I want to ask anyway: why is Idegian still here when all his posts are just trolling in the Forgotten Memories thread and being obnoxious to other members there? I believe he even admitted to creating another account after his old one was banned. I'm pretty sure that if I went into the Dead Trigger 2 thread and started talking about how it's just going to be another pretty-looking but boring, dull and repetitive shooter like all of MF's games or went into one of Josh's upcoming threads and kept telling him there is no game and he's essentially full of BS then I'd get a warning or ban of some kind. I'm genuinely curious, not trying to tell anyone how to do their job.

9. leonard_dabinski

leonard_dabinski Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Agreed! He removed one of my posts completely but messaged me in doing so.

10. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Just to clear things up, would you edit swear words in any context, or only in a context where the first party insults the second one? I see people using f*ck, b*itch, sh*t, assh*ole and variations a little here and there. I've seen quite a few posts by Sanuku which contain venemous language yet was never edited.

It shouldn't be such that you go around editing swear words, but other mods don't. Needs to be some level of consistency. Plus I believe the TA forums are VERY clean compared to whats out there. A little freedom of expression which includes the occasional swear word should be allowed in my opinion.

11. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    #11 JBRUU, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    In my experience profanity is rather loosely regulated. I get in trouble if, for instance, I were to right now call you an a$$hole or some other personal insult.

The f bomb is automatically filtered, it shows like this ####.

The S word is rather loose; I've seen Sanuku, Eli and a few mods use it.

Any sexual profanity is pretty taboo.

"Damn" and "hell" both really aren't profanity.

Mods and members accuse each other of "bitching" every once in a while, you probably won't get in trouble for that as long as you aren't purposely trying to be venomous.

That's what I've gathered in my time here. I'm sure each mod has a slighly different set of standards. Case in point: I've seen square use the f bomb with the asterisk, psj seems to have more rigid bent.

But really, TA is a very clean and family-friendly place. Why encourage profanity?

12. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Yeah, lol, just thinking back, I am sure I'd have been banned if I call iDevices "shitware" (or at the very least given a tough reprimand). Thoroughly unbecoming of the site admin to call Android just that.

13. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    If you keep harping on that you might get in trouble anyways. Syntheticvoid put it very well in the GotY thread IMO.

14. leonard_dabinski

Jan 7, 2013
    Ok well that's the last I mention it then.

15. spikeyflip

spikeyflip Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2011
    QA lead
    Northern California
    Thanks Red1 for the pm. I think that would be helpful about letting new mods at least know why someone's post is edited thru either a pm or an added line to the post. That's what the mods do on other forums that I frequent to :)

16. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah, it was a bit of a one-off. I can't even remember exactly what I'd said, I commented on a positive aspect of a game being marred by a negative, then with the negative part removed it gave my post the impression I was happy with the game when really I wasn't. I don't mind getting modded if it's deemed inappropriate, but I would rather have had the entire post removed and been notified, then I could have a go at rewording it in a more forum-friendly manner :p