★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Everything about in-game rewarded videos!

10-28-2015, 10:43 AM
Everything about in-game rewarded videos!

Hello Guys

I am an indie mobile game developer still working on my very first unreleased project and I would really love to know your thoughts on mobile game rewarded video ads!

Do you like them?

Would you rather buy an in-app purchase and never bother with them?

What mobile game does rewarded videos the best?

How much do you usually watch rewarded videos in one game in a day vs until you stop playing or uninstalling it?

How much are you willing to watch rewarded videos (for the right incentive)?

What would you love to see from developers like me with regard to rewarded videos?

Please do not be shy guys, feel free to share and ask whatever you want
04-17-2016, 11:43 PM
A recent study I read showed that rewarded video ads are one of the most popular revenue streams for developers, and if anything they help increase IAP, not decrease. If you implement them correctly, they are nothing but good. Don't force anything on the user.
05-01-2016, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypras View Post
A recent study I read showed that rewarded video ads are one of the most popular revenue streams for developers, and if anything they help increase IAP, not decrease. If you implement them correctly, they are nothing but good. Don't force anything on the user.
this sums it all up
09-14-2016, 09:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypras View Post
This.

One game that I wasn't all too happy with this was Bitcoin Billionaire because frequently it would make you choose between losing a lot of your stuff or watching a video ad/spend money. I don't like feeling forced to watch it, especially if I'm not on wifi. I think it works great if it's optional.
01-10-2017, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Do you like them?

Would you rather buy an in-app purchase and never bother with them?

What mobile game does rewarded videos the best?

How much do you usually watch rewarded videos in one game in a day vs until you stop playing or uninstalling it?

How much are you willing to watch rewarded videos (for the right incentive)?

What would you love to see from developers like me with regard to rewarded videos?

Please do not be shy guys, feel free to share and ask whatever you want
I think Cypras gave a solid answer, but I'm going to try and answer some of your other questions specifically.

First, it's important to know for developers whose games have IAPs - only a few percent of the players of any game will actually spend real currency in the game. When I say few, even that's a stretch. It's literally between 1-2%. And that's why it's so important to balance the IAPs with other monetization techniques.

The real key, as Cypras said, is to implement them well, and not force them on the user. There are several games which do a really good job of using rewarded videos, in which users are often clamoring for more opportunities to interact with the ads. What do all of these apps have in common? They allow the users to opt-in, or choose to watch the ads themselves.

For example, a lot of adventure games which require coins, gems, potions, etc., will have some kind of daily lottery or wheel spin mechanism, in which a user can watch a rewarded video to earn a spin on the wheel, or an item in the lottery. The key there is to determine the correct size and type of the reward so as to maintain the balance of your app's economy. It shouldn't be so small that it's useless, and it shouldn't be so big that it makes your game too easy. In these types of games, users often watch ads over and over until the game runs out of ads to show - in this scenario, there isn't really an upper cap you need to worry about, because the user can stop watching them whenever they want.

Another really great example is games like Dashy Crashy (or any endless runner type of game) where you can watch an ad to earn additional plays after you've crashed/died and used all your lives. Others will show users the option to watch a rewarded video after dying in order to continue where they left off, instead of having to start over. Difference Games does Hidden Object games in which, after you complete a scene, they will sometimes offer to double your coins in return for watching a rewarded video. You'll notice in all of these examples that: a) the player gets to choose whether they want to engage with the ad or not, and b) the player gets something tangible in return for watching the ad.

There's really no end to how clever you can get with rewarded video ads, and it's true that they actually boost IAPs. Use them! Just make sure to use them well.

It's also important to make sure you serve the right ads for your users and geos, and for that, I'd recommend using a programmatic mediation solution like IronSource, Appodeal, MoPub, etc. Such a mediation tool will automatically serve the best ads from the right networks for your particular app.

Good luck!

Last edited by casperisfriendly; 01-10-2017 at 08:48 PM.
01-13-2017, 02:10 AM
If your gonna offer a game need to be purchase then it should be free of any video ads. User won't buy your game if they gonna see ads popping in their screen. I suggest you make your game free then you can put the video ads. Also give options to user to but the game free of any popping ads.