★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

New phone owner, want games!

07-17-2017, 11:29 AM
New phone owner, want games!

Hello,

I finally crumbled to my families constant nagging and whining at me to get a damn mobile phone, I've put up with it for years but decided to give in just for a quiet life, so on Saturday I bought a smartphone (I'm not rich enough or stupid enough to blow 500-800) So my phone is a cheap one, cost 120 and is running android 7.1

But to save the poor thing from collecting dust (I plan to make 1-2 phone calls a month, never will text anyone and don't want it for social media nonsense) I wish to buy a few fun games for it.

Now I'm old fashioned and I once had an ipad (until freemium swamped the app store) and I sold it, so I know what I want. I want some fun games, a video poker, slot machine, maybe a few role playing games.

So I'm looking to you experts for recommendations but I have caveats. I have NO interest in games with IAP, or freemium games (don't get me started on that) and I will not install games that demand HEAPS of my privacy information. You're a video poker game, you DON'T need to know my details or location!!

So if you can help and suggest a few games for me, that would be super. Thanks
07-17-2017, 01:28 PM
On the Line is a great phone game, easy to pick up and play on the train among other things.

Pako is another one, pickup and play.

Are you looking for more substantial fare though?

07-18-2017, 07:45 AM
Thanks a lot but yeah, looking for stuff like role playing games or strategy games.

also Video Poker but I spent 2hrs looking at poker games on the googleplay store yesterday and all of them wanted far far too much information/permissions. So I didn't download any

Why they think they can get away with asking for so much information I do not know, hardly anyone must download those games.
07-20-2017, 10:55 AM
okay, thanks for all the help folks, or maybe not.
07-25-2017, 03:02 PM
As for RPGs , a lot of the good ones you can get on iOS , you can get on Android. KOTOR, Jade Empire, Ravensword Shadowlands would definitely be worthwhile purchases.

I also just started playing Eternium which seems promising, it's free and iaps are optional. It's got high ratings.

Or you could download one of the many emulators available and try a classic rpg , if that's your kind of thing.

As for the lack of responses, I think it's mainly because the vast majority of members here are iOS rather than Android users. I also have a GPD XD android device so pop in here very occasionally.

Last edited by squirpe; 07-25-2017 at 03:11 PM.
08-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Check out these 15 games that made it to the top finalist of our Appodeal Indie Game Blast Off contest. Maybe some of them would be your cup of tea? (If so, don't forget to vote for your favorites!)
08-08-2017, 09:48 PM
The Quest HD if you like role play. Should run fine on your phone. Big and deep. Think skyrim...ish. I think it's on android, actually not sure