Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 06-14-2014, 10:49 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

We've had some requests for Game Center Achievements; I'll look into doing that for the first update. We've also been working on an Android port (first time for any of our games).
Old 09-28-2014, 10:13 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

We're going to pull RPG Quest - Freemiae from the App Store tomorrow (Monday, Sep. 29th) as we find it's just been cannibalizing sales from RPG Quest - Minimae, and not making up the difference at all in Vungle payments.

So grab it if you want it; we may put it back up in the future, but we don't currently have plans to.

You may have noticed that we've been experimenting with free games this year; Freemiae, and Bad Student Driver 1 & 2 (aka Swing Ride). They've been pretty much a failure, getting almost no press and few installs. Freemiae has done the best, but as I said, it seems to be at the expense of Minimae.

Freemiae in particular was done as a commentary on the nature of free games; I added dialog in most towns about this. Maybe someone got a chuckle out of lines like "They described it as 'free' as in 'free speech,' not as in 'free ale'." But I didn't hear about it
Old 09-29-2014, 10:22 AM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Less than 12 hours until we remove Freemię from the App Store. Final warning
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 AM
iPhone 4S, iOS 6.x

I grabbed it last night. I appreciate the heads up. I wasn't actually planning to get this version as I was waiting till I got another itunes card so I could buy the regular version and Super Splatform (I'm considering P1XL Party too, but probably will wait... same for 4NR). But with it getting the axe, I might as well add it to the collection for when I get the other games.

It's kind of weird, before Super Splatform caught my eye (due to others playing it) I hadn't even put much time into seeing what else you made. I had seen a lot of discussion on the Bad Student Driver games... but those games didn't really interest me.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:51 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightc1 View Post
It's kind of weird, before Super Splatform caught my eye (due to others playing it) I hadn't even put much time into seeing what else you made. I had seen a lot of discussion on the Bad Student Driver games... but those games didn't really interest me.
Yeah, the Bad Student Driver games seem to appeal to a different crowd; they do have fans (I know a 50-year-old guy that plays it every coffee break at work and keeps climbing his way up the charts) but it's not the typical Touch Arcade gamer.

We're going to try one last free experiment with Super Splatform Free, and then get back to paid apps.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:22 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

R.I.P. Freemię
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM
iPad (4th Gen), iOS 7.x

In case anyone was curious, RPG Quest - Minimę sales have rebounded nicely since we killed Freemię. So, a brief post-mortem:

I don't think we can prove it conclusively, but it certainly seems that something like this was happening (numbers are only kind of made up):

500 people per day would search for "Dragon Warrior" or some other term, looking for an old school RPG.

20 of them would find RPG Quest - Freemiae and download it.
1 of them would find RPG Quest - Minimae and download (buy) it.

Now that we've removed Freemię, it's more like 5 people will buy Minimę; the tiny amount we made from the Vungles in Freemię doesn't even come close to making up for the loss in sales to Minimę. Maybe if Freemię was downloaded hundreds of times a day it would work out, but it wasn't.

Still going to try a free version of Super Splatform though; if it's a failure then we're done with free for the foreseeable future.