iPod Touch 2g crashing and dying?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by micah, Sep 17, 2009.

1. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    So I was just working on an update for Skeleton Key, trying to figure out how to fix a bug that kept crashing the game. I was testing my game on my iPod Touch 2g (which is actually my only iPhone OS device) when, a couple seconds after the crash, a whole lot of text scrolled by on the debug console, and the iPod Touch turned off.

And now it won't turn back on. The on button doesn't respond, there's nothing on the screen, plugging it in doesn't do anything.

Also, earlier today I finally got around to upgrading from iPhone OS 3.0 to 3.1.1, and I just installed the iPhone SDK 3.1 today as well.

Any suggestions before I run to the Apple store with my warranty to get a replacement?

Attached is what scrolled by in the Xcode debug console right after the crash. I cut out a big chunk of it in the middle because the forum wouldn't let me upload a file so big.

2. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Sounds serious... It looks like the crash came about from trying to send a message to an object that you have released. That's the easy part though!

The final abotu exiting with signal 15 is the same message you get if you pull the cable out while debugging so that has probably just come about from the device switching off.

Is the device actually off though? Or is it 'glowing black' if you know what I mean? Recently I have had some weird things happening where the device freezes on a black screen but you can still tell that the screen is on and the device hasn't completely shut down. Usually I just have to wait and it eventually sorts itself out.

If your device is actually off and you can't turn it on I would say your problem is more serious :S

3. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    It's actually off and isn't turning on. The screen isn't powered. Yeah, off to the Apple store it is then... :(

At least, on a plus side, if they give me a new iPod Touch 2g I'll get one that doesn't have a small scratch on the screen anymore. :)

4. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    FYI, at the Apple Store they told me maybe putting it in DFU mode to do a hard restore would fix it, and it did. So now I can keep working on my update!

5. PixelthisMike

Well that's good to know!

6. Coral

Coral Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    There has been some 3.1 weirdness that relates to random shutdowns. I have had 3 or 4 times where I would go to unlock my phone and it would be off. I can't just hold the power button either. It requires holding home and power for around 10-15 seconds for the device to reboot. Maybe you got unlucky and it happened while you were using it.

7. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    can you put it into DFU mode?

8. PixelthisMike

Instructions to do so are readily available by googling. It is recommended only as a last measure though.

9. Slayer_megadeth

Slayer_megadeth Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Student
    India
    Have you tried plugging it in and forcing it in recovery mode? If not then all you gotta do is plug it in and press the home and power button simultaneously until a white apple logo appears. Hope this helps.