URL tag not working?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by joew, Jul 23, 2014.

1. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Producer & Engineer @ Creoterra
    Toronto, Canada
    #1 joew, Jul 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
    I apologize profusely if this is a commonly known issue, but I read through the rules post and searched the forums but have not come across anything.

Whenever I try to use the tag in posts or my signature instead of creating the actual link it just displays the tags and url in text. Is there something I have to do in order to enable this on my account?

Example:
    [URL=http://www.google.com]http://www.google.com

Thanks!

2. Boardumb

Boardumb Administrator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Apr 14, 2009
    THE BOSS
    Sacramento, CA
    You won't be able to post links until you have a certain number of posts, I forget how many exactly, I think it's like 15 or 20. We enabled that to try and help fight against spam accounts. Not sure if it's working or just making life harder for new members :)

EDIT November 7th: Guys, I just wanted to reiterate that the purpose of this whole thing is that you need to be a member of our community before you can start posting clickable links to your stuff. Putting a post count minimum on links has had the unintended consequence of developers essentially just spamming zero content posts everywhere to hit the minimum. Please don't do this. People will be far more interested in your game if you set out to be a respected and resourceful member of our community, versus just looking for a couple dozen threads to post "Looks neat!", "Can't wait!" or whatever else in with the sole purpose of those zero-effort posts being to be able to post your own links.

3. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    Actually I think it's a great idea, that way at least people aren't clicking the spam links by accident, which in turn could ramp up the spamming x10.

Thanks for letting me know :)

4. joew

joew Active Member

Jul 22, 2014
    Toronto, Canada
    #4 joew, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
    I'm actually at 20 posts but still unable to use the URL tag, which I'd like to use in threads regarding our upcoming game. So I was just hoping to check on this to make sure there is nothing else I need to do?

EDIT: I hit the magic number, thanks again :)

5. BitStern

BitStern Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2014
    Facing the same issue, but thank you for the explanation. I like the idea!

6. Bleau

Bleau Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2013
    One half of MoWOW Studios, an mobile indie game st
    Koblenz, Germany
    #6 Bleau, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Hey guys,

UPDATE: seems to be working now. Thanks :)

same problem here as well. URL tag not working and I have quite a bit over 20 posts. Great idea with the 20 posts rule.

7. MOGRAFI

MOGRAFI Active Member

Dec 3, 2009
    Creative Director, etc
    Sarasota, FL
    I'm having the same problem. Assuming it's because I'm also a low poster ( for the moment! )

8. a pita

a pita New Member

Aug 15, 2014
    Social Media Manager | Audio Director | Website Bl
    SoCal
    I just signed-up today and experienced the same issue. But after looking into the forums a bit more, I now understand the logic behind the rule. Thanks for sharing this!

9. Shineconegame

Shineconegame Well-Known Member

How to post a clickable link in TA?

I posted a new thread yesterday but the links in it can't be clicked on to direct to the sites, so you have to copy and paste the links on your browser, which is quite not convenient.

For example, here is the link to our fb: https://www.facebook.com/shineconegames/.

Does anyone know what I should do to edit it? Thanks!!!:)

10. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
  11. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    You're close, use url=https://www.facebook.com/shineconegames]Whatever text you want[/url] but put a [ before the the first "url=" bit

12. yah123

yah123 Member

Aug 6, 2014
    thanks for the answer I was wondering the same thing! I actually googled how to embed Youtube video on forums even though I was certain I knew how to do that haha

13. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    As you are a new user and due to spammers adding links, links like this wont be active until you reach 20 posts.

We have a lot of spamming and fake shill accounts by the devs so we're trying to stop these. Fake accounts are not good

14. Hunted Cow Studios

Hunted Cow Studios Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Company Director
    Thanks for clearing this up, I've been trying to format a press release for the last half-hour and been losing my mind because I couldn't see why the formatting wasn't working!

15. Tap To Play

Tap To Play Member

Jul 1, 2014
    I have the same problem - and admittedly I'm just posting that to up my post count a little bit because I will want to share a link soon :)

16. stonery

stonery Well-Known Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Editor
    Neverland
    Is it not working only in upcoming games section?

17. motionTwin

motionTwin Active Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Game maker
    Bordeaux, France.
    Yeah I see how you would need it to fight the spammers. But it's hard for guys like us (indie devs) who want to build up visibility for our games but didn't have a "studio account" before. Anywho that's my little sook.

18. Columbo

Columbo Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Had the same problem. Took quite a long time for me to track down this thread to figure out what was going wrong after having scoured the FAQs.

Any chance an admin can add this nugget of information to the FAQs? It's got to be tripping up quite a lot of legit new users.

19. C3FFF0E

C3FFF0E Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2014
    Moderator in Vainglory Forum
    Philippines
    Really working now.

20. Thanks! This really helps :)