TouchArcade App

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by littlejob, May 2, 2017.

1. littlejob

littlejob Active Member

Mar 5, 2010
    IT
    USA
    I love this app, have used it for years. If you are willing to share the original ios5 source code, i will update the app/graphics and convert to 64bit to allow others to side load an updated version of this glorious app.

I am sorry, but I am sick of the overly large rendering of text and graphics, let alone the gianormous keyboard. Let's make this happen. Also PM me about server costs and what your current provider is charging you. Your patren seems reasonable, just trying to make sure your getting the best bang for your buck.

2. Modjular

Modjular Well-Known Member

Jun 17, 2014
    From what I understand, the TA app is considered a "shopping" app by apple, which became banned after the app was released. So TA's problem is that any attempt to submit an update is denied, because of the nature of the app. I think they would have updated it long ago if not for this. I too wish apple would reconsider their policy.

3. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    IIRC that was only half of the problem. The other half was the not inconsiderable cost of development.

With a volunteer doing the code, half of the problem is gone. With 32 bit apps getting the boot with iOS 11 the other half mint still kill it, but there's nothing to lose.

Worth a punt I'd have thought.

4. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Yeah the problem is we have a bunch of people who volunteer to recompile the app to be 64bit, but it's a much, much bigger project than that. It's a total rewrite, from the ground up, with much of the core functionality changed to appease Apple.

5. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Out of curiosity what exactly would have to go? I know the hot games list is kaput in this scenario. Would searching apps in this app go away as well?

6. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Who even knows, Apple doesn't pre-approve apps. We'd already have a new app on the App Store if we could sit down with Apple and be like "OK, so here's our design document, can you mark up what needs to be changed or removed for us to get approved?" We just don't have the resources (especially now) to play approval whack-a-mole. Their problem with it is that it violates the "store within a store" guidelines on the App Store, as well as being a third party app that recommends other apps.

So do you take that as we need to strip out the games directory stuff? The game pages that look like the App Store? The hot games list that dynamically recommends games? We have no idea, which is one of the many things that makes working with Apple so unbelievably frustrating. I'm fairly certain we could get the app approved if we pruned it down to just be a boring news app that displays our stories and sends push notifications, but there's not much benefit in doing that over just having a better mobile view on TouchArcade.com

7. sobriquet

sobriquet Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2015
    Yes, a better mobile view is the way to go. I was using the app religiously until a couple of months ago. After the 32-bit apocalypse started to seem like a real thing (with iOS 10.3) I started transitioning to the mobile site on safari. Aside from some small annoyances it's better than the app.

8. coolpepper43

coolpepper43 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Aug 31, 2012
    On the toilet
    How about a web app?

9. dancj

dancj Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2011
    If AppShopper social is anything to go by, I'm not sure I even want you to try. That app is a pale shadow of the original.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yeeeeaaahhh... And Apple even has a problem with that now.

11. Aurizen

Aurizen Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    #11 Aurizen, Jun 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2017
    So there won't be any update ever? You're going to let it die? I'd be fine of it could push hot articles when apps on my list are free or have a price cut or news revolving games on my list. And maybe a built in forums

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Yes, the app is dead until our Patreon does better and we have resources to do something with it. We're just struggling to pay writers at this point, there's no budget for app developers.

13. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    Any chance to push for a donation. I'd be willing to donate when I get payed.

14. Esqarrouth

Esqarrouth Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2016
    Dev
    Land of Stone
    A trick a lot of devs I know are using is:

- Hide all the features Apple doesn't like.
    - Hard code a date or check a boolean in a server if its time to show the hidden features.

By a lot I mean everyone. Starving artists to companies with $20M + funding.

So making the app 64bit compatible with these in small hiding changes will probably work

15. FuZion

FuZion Well-Known Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Gonna miss the TA App big time.

16. Bloodangel

Bloodangel Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    Retail
    England
    Me too :(

I got ios11 installed about 2 hours ago

17. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah I'm trying not to update, doing so I'll lose the app and its what I use to come on on this site. I rarely use the browser. The notifications on when apps on my watch list went on sale and when they released was what made me use it.. Without it I'd rarely come on this app.. I hope things change. Even if the app was 1.99 I'd pay for it.

18. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    Any hope for a solution on if the app will make a comeback? I'd be willing to pay 1.99 or whatever the app price will be once its been made. or a gofund me you guys set up dedicated to the app return.

19. cofunguy

cofunguy Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2012
    Even so, as Eli said before is that Apple changes it's policy and won't even say what aspects inside the TA app are being violated. You just get either approved or not with zero say from Apple on why.

Sadly can't blame Apple considering how many apps are on their store (okay some will go bye bye via iOS 11). But still quite a lot and look at the numbers of NEW apps each week and that is not even considering the updates for previous approved apps.

20. Aurizen

Feb 6, 2013
    Yeah, I'd be willing to support the app until it gets approved. I'm sure others would too.