Let's Talk About if Last-Gen Games Could Be Ported to iOS or Not

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Cilo, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #1 Cilo, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    You mean the star wars game that was a port of a gamecube title? The platform is at the ps2/xbox/gamecube stage, anything past that isn't happening at this point. At least not from what I'm seeing on the app store. I'm surprised more people haven't realized this yet, you won't see proper ports of anything that is console capable (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) until most likely next year.

As far as people not liking this compared to Lego Batman, or Lego LOTR on iOS, the gameplay is different in a sense that those games focused on puzzles which required swapping of characters for different abilities, and building switches. From what I have played so far, this game focuses on action and situations that require swapping of team abilities. The controls are a lot more precise compared to the other Lego games I've played on the app store (larger D-pad) and the framerate and animations are crisp. Also trying to figure out how to accomplish the different achievements in each stage is a puzzle in itself, and I am having a blast with this. I was hooked on Lego Batman DC for the past week, but I'll take Marvel characters over DC any day. Music, sound are both top notch, and they streamlined all the cutscenes finally - no more waiting to get back in, you can skip right away with a tap (no more pinching to skip).

Oh and @jmasin, there are alternate areas, which I figured out once I learned how to use the hero second ability. I went back through stage 1 and 2 and found other areas I could get to using Ironman's flying ability. Which means you can complete levels going straight through, but using certain abilities will allow you different outcomes.

2. NOEN

NOEN Well-Known Member

Jul 31, 2012
    U.S.
    Agreed.
    I watched some of the gameplay vid and from what I see, it looks like its worth the 5 bucks. Especially since it's 30-40 bucks for the Vita version. I got burned on Lego Batman and LOTR on Vita, paying full price for both and a few months later they are released on iOS for 5 bucks, so I'm happy on this one. Saved me 35.00!

3. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #3 Leegames, Jun 19, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2014
    X-Com Enemy Unknown, The Wolf Among Us, The Walking Dead, Way of the Dogg, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 and a few others disagree with you. ;)

4. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    go and watch the full console version's visuals of the lego marvel game, scope of the open world, content and then come back here and tell me that it can be ported on ios, respecting the 2gb app store size limitation, running on anything else than A7 devices, and cost 5 freakin' dollars while it came out last year for consoles and is still about ten times more expensive. anyone complaining about it not being the full console game port... just stop... please just stop and think before commenting. you're no different from those who are expecting rockstar to port gta IV to ios this winter.

5. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #5 Bool Zero, Jun 20, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
    I'd respectfully disagree. I don't think anyone was truly expecting the full console visuals as that would be unrealistic, but they were probably expecting at the very least the full open world portion of the game and not this, which is very realistic given that we have other open world games on this device like the GTA's, Gangstar's and other games of its ilk on the AppStore. Open world games don't have to take up a lot of space and can actually be suprising smaller in size than typical games with levels because the texture and model libraries are often smaller since your are reusing the same textures and models rather than staged or leveled games which often have their unique textures, models and content for each stage. This is why you can have games like Skyrim and Fallout which have smaller install sizes than games like Call of Duty and Battlefield.

As it stands, I have the game on my Xbox One and it's barely over 6GB (6.4GB to be exact) and that's with stunning graphics. They could easily par it down to be about a 3.2GB install size while meeting the 2GB compressed size of the AppStore requirement. Heck, compressing the audio alone would get it down to over 1/3rd if not near 1/2 that size.

As it stands, the game could very adequately be scaled down to meet the Lego Star Wars level of graphics and have the open world portions of the game, given some sacrifices in draw distance and other minor things, while very easily meeting the size limit of Apple (compressed). If anything it's not because they didn't want to but rather the rather resource hoggish poorly coded Lego engine, which I think is more the culprit here...

6. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    How many open world Lego games have you or your team personally ported? Or how many open world games has your dev team ported?

7. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
    if you talk about ridiculousy downgrading the graphics then yeah this same thing can be done with many console open world titles... but do i really need to explain why this is never happening? and to sell it for 5 or 7 bucks?!! do you realise this game came out last fall on console and is still at full price?! has a mobile lego game ever been different from the 3ds/vita version? now why on earth would you assume this one would be?! do yourself a favor, for at least the coming 3 years do not expect an ios game to be superior to its 40$ vita version and you'll never be disapointed by an ios lego port.

8. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    #8 Bool Zero, Jun 20, 2014
    I wasn't debating price because that wasn't the crux of the argument. Nowhere in my previous response did I argue that they could do what was the initial proposition while maintaining the $5 pricetag, not was that the argument. The argument was if they could technically port the Lego Marvel game [proper] to the iDevice. And the game wouldn't have to be "ridiculously" downgraded; I would be serviceable downgraded via a drop in texture size, model poly counts, audio compression and reduction in the amount of NPC's drawn on screen (which iDevices already handle part of that with the way they draw).

9. Leegames

Leegames Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Ex. game journalist and EiC now PR
    Denmark
    #9 Leegames, Jun 20, 2014
    Your original text didn't indicate, that you were talking about near perfect ports of open world games, but Last gen console to iOS. "I'm seeing on the app store. I'm surprised more people haven't realized this yet, you won't see proper ports of anything that is console capable (PS3, Xbox 360, Wii) until most likely next year. "

I have played and reviewed the original game at Gamereactor... And of course it can't be ported without any compromises, but considering they could do Order And Chaos Online and LEGO games have fairly simple textures on a not too high count polygons, I don't think it is the hardware, just a lack of developer interest. And I wasn't complaining by the way, just showing that your statement was a bit exaggerated.

But I guess that last comment wasn't aimed at me anyways. Anyways I think this game looks like a fun mobile version. :)

10. Loading3

Loading3 Active Member

May 21, 2012
    Dude. you're the one that needs to stop and think before commenting. read again what he quoted and said. nowhere did he complain about this not being the console version. he was just pointing out examples of games that were proper ports from consoles (xbox360,ps3). which is correct. xcom, walking dead, record of agrest war was from consoles (xbox360,ps3)

PS: i do agree the console version of this game is pretty much impossible to port to ios currently due to the big scale of the game.

11. curtisrshideler

curtisrshideler Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 30, 2011
    Male
    Video Producer/Editor
    Texas
    I'd venture to say that those console games you mention were developed with selling mobile versions in mind. I doubt the current LEGO Marvel game for consoles was developed with the plan to port it to current mobile devices. Sure, Angry Birds can be played on a PS3 or PS4, but it was developed first with mobile in mind. Him wanting the current gen console games developed for those consoles on a mobile device would be like expecting a Gameboy Color to play Perfect Dark for the N64.