GameClub Mage Gauntlet (by Rocketcat Games)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    In the next game I'm thinking of just basing the main game more on the pacing of Master Mode. Maybe even with the big enemy groups. Big enemy groups aren't a big deal at all if you have the spells to fight them and the levels (and therefore checkpoints) aren't super long.

Also the sequel won't have a separate Master Mode. The plan is to have "main story" dungeons and "optional" dungeons, instead. That way I can just make the optional dungeons as brutally difficult as I want, and the main story dungeons pretty easy with frequent checkpoints.

Yeah and the secrets will definitely be more like Master Mode. The story mode secrets weren't designed that way by me, someone else handled those. By the time I saw what was done a lot of them had already been made, so I was all "let's try it out anyway and see if it works".

2. Psac42

Psac42 Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    Definitely loving the game, but it is hard! Even Orc Forest 3 game me a hard time, I can't imagine the future levels people are having problems with. Hordes of enemies are really tough when they take more than one (or four) hits to kill. Thanks for the hard work!

3. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    #983 Ashflow, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    1. YES! I never get to use sword fury. Combined with the crystal staff/inferno blade it's awesome.
    2. The double-duration you mentioned sounds good.
    3. I don't think this is really necessary considering how many urns you're adding. I guess we'll see.
    4. Sounds good (see 1).
    5. Strangely, Master Mode does (usually) seem easier than story mode... There are a few levels though that are harder than story mode, like pretty much all of the final pages gold levels, which is how I think they should be. It is Master Mode, after all. An example of a ridiculously easy level is the gold bunker. Seriously, what's up with that? I can just run up to the wailers and beat them up, and finish with two lives, without even using the spell you get. I mean, the bunkers in story mode weren't that hard either, for the most part, but the master mode gold is just sad...

P.S. Sorry for messing with your quotes so much. I didn't want to take up half a page with just one post :p
    P.P.S. The things you mentioned in your latest post (optional dungeons, etc.) sound great.
    P.P.P.S. I think a trinket that gives you like a 5% chance of getting a haste urn when you defeat an enemy would be neat.
    P.P.P.P.S. (Last one, I promise! Are this many P's even allowed?) The rabbit's foot is definitely getting changed to hat drop increase, right? Can't wait for that to happen, it'll definitely become my most-used trinket.

4. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    #984 Nightmare13, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    Bunker 3 is funny. There's like what, 4 enemies?

Bunker 2 on Master, however, is just brutal.

Personally I think the hardest areas in the game are the very last 3 levels on Master (Pinnacle 2, Pinnacle 3, and Hurgoth), which is how it should be. Bunker 2 follows closely behind, however.

5. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Where do you find the Crystal Staff? Checked on the wiki page, but all it says is the alternate ending in Ruins Crossing in masters mode.
    Can't seem to find it...

6. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Have you found any Master Mode secrets yet?
    If yes, follow their instructions until you see one that mentions the staff.
    If no,
    Forest Silver has one of the easiest MM secrets to find.
    Even though I put a spoiler tag on, I don't want to give away too much. It's always more rewarding to find things out for yourself :)

7. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    So is the sword in Ruins crossing though? xD
    And do I need to find the secrets in order to find the items?

8. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    The "sword" (you mean staff, right?) is not in Ruin Crossing.

The MM secrets can lead you to two different items, one of which is very, very close to being impossible to find by accident. The other one is somewhat hard to find by accident as well, so yes, you need to find the secrets to find the items.

9. nfong

nfong Well-Known Member

Aug 30, 2011
    Thanks for the help!
    On a non-masters related note, do you know where the Magekiller is found? It's the only sword I'm missing in story mode.

10. WooHooII

WooHooII Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2009
    I'm pretty sure it's in the Undergarden, but I don't know which level.

Sequel idea (probably impossible; I have no idea how iOS handles save data): import your hats from the first game to build the most massive collection the world has ever seen.

11. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Regarding the *secret weapon*

I cleared "Ruin Crossing - 3" on MM, but the door is still locked?

12. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Just had a funny idea about the "haste urn trinket" I suggested:

It'd be earned when the player earns the "Environment Milestone 3" Achievement, and the description would read: "Make up for lost time smashing absolutely everything for absolutely no reason! Gives a slight chance for enemies to drop a Haste Urn upon death." (or something like that that fits the description bar)

13. Ashflow

Jan 9, 2011
    MI

Sorry, I lied about the Ruin Crossing thing, and the staff... For some reason I was thinking it was in the Crypt. Really, really sorry about that. Should have checked before I gave an answer.

14. Quazonk

Quazonk Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2011
    #994 Quazonk, Oct 30, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
    I hate to sound like a n00b here, but could someone tell me what the terms "nerfing" and "buffing" mean? And what is the purpose of the gnomeys? Do they serve a purpose or are they just there as a Rocketcat easter egg kind of thing? Thx :)

15. Sanderino

Sanderino Member

Dec 1, 2010
    On what skills do you spend your skill points mostly?

To Kepa: Is it a good idea to put in the next update something that you can re-assign your skill points whenever you want?

16. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    Nerfing means to take something that is overpowered and make it balanced.

Buffing or "Buff" is normally something that will increase you're stats or add a little bit of (whatever) to make you're character better for a certain time period.

Gnomey was an easter egg in Super QuickHook (Which if you don't have it you should go buy it now! Here's a link) He would appear in secret areas of the maps, and when you found him in every map he became a playable character. And he has been in their games since.

17. Nightmare13

Nightmare13 Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2010
    IT Programming
    Chicago, IL
    Just for clarification, a "buff" is a spell that increases your stats or somehow improves character performance for a given duration. "Buffing," however, is the complement of nerfing, and involves improving the effectiveness of a pre-existing item or spell that was previously too weak to be particularly useful.

@Sanderino: I put 20 points in Vigor before I touched anything else. The ability to dash and charge more often is way too useful. Then I pumped magic. I had Magic and Vigor both maxed out (25 each) before I put even a single point in Luck. However, this was justified because I was using the Inferno Blade. Since the Inferno Blade can't score melee criticals, that half of the luck bonus was wasted, and magic increases magic criticals at a much faster rate than luck does, as well as increasing damage.

18. Zathrus

Zathrus Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Oh good, I'm not the only one. I'm stuck there. Literally stuck. I've done all the other levels I can reach, but I simply cannot get past this. It's too long, has far too little health and spells.

I've been working on it for 3 days now.

19. SirDarkened

SirDarkened Well-Known Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Ha srsly?
    Where do I live?
    Unfortunately I was hit with a bad snowstorm and I have no power to charge my phone. So everything has been on "pause".

I'm stuck on Ashen Cult 3 simply because I continue to only get luck spells. It's quite frusterating. I'm starting to just restart when I get one.

Crypt 3 isn't too bad to beat. Just really hard to three star.
    Once this removal of lucky happen I should be able to easily three star all maps. I seem to get "lucky" for half of the urns in any given level :(.

20. rococoman

rococoman Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    This is a monster, and I, by a stroke of incredible luck, 3 starred it. I found a big key here was using the IAP cloak, which gives you a bigger dashing attack.

The priority in this level is killing those jerks who spawn zombies out of the ground. Do whatever it takes to take them out first, using your dash to plow through a zombie group and stun a lot of them. Also, since many of those spawners tend to start in a vertical line, try to run north or south of them and hit them all at once with a sword charge. For taking out the mobs, keep your distance and charge at them with the sword attack when you can to stun some of them. Keep close track of how many hits the fat guys take, and be ready to dash through the blue explosions.

Chicken pet is good for faster recharges. I 3-starred this with half a heart left after using the phoenix feather, and the last enemy was a spawner who had a 6-zombie radius lump of enemies surrounding him. I cannot believe i nabbed him (with the sword!) without losing my last hit.