The Amiga Shooter !! - NOW ON SALE - $3.99 ->$0.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by TorbenLarsen, Sep 7, 2012.

1. TorbenLarsen

TorbenLarsen Well-Known Member

2. Well, this game got me curious.

First off the game is not The amiga shooter, but it is Battle Squadron One.

Second, the game has really good reviews on itunes as well as on many different boards such as Touch Arcade.

Third, the graphics are lously, haha, but guess at one time Amiga graphics were king.

Fourth, there is a lite version that costs 99 cents!!! Weird! And a 2 player ipad version too!

Fifth, the game has 2 player ipad gameplay, mainly why I bought the game.

Sixth, the game is fun, if you like shmups.

Seventh, don't really think this game is a $4 game, but for 99 cents, I would definitely recommend it.

Eighth, why I made this list, I got no clue... Guess I'm just bored...

3. TorbenLarsen

Haha, that's some great insights you just gave there, thanks Connector ;)

4. Janni

Janni Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2012
    how do you control this? buttons or swipe (cave-style)?

btw torben, you've got me with the "amiga" thingy ;)

5. TorbenLarsen

#5 TorbenLarsen, Sep 7, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
    Thanks Janni :)

Actually you have 4 control schemes to choose from:
    Relative Direct touch x2
    Relative Direct touch
    Joypad
    Tilt

The most prefered and popular is relative direct touch x2 (like swipe and yes cave style, but slightly better, imo) and also my personal favorite :)

6. I think the controls differ a bit from ipad vs iphone. Seems like the relative touch 2 was made for the iphone, the relative direct touch plays better on my new ipad and this mode is more like direct touch. The joypad control is probably designed more for the iphone too.

So on my ipad, relative direct touch and tilt work best. This game actually plays very well on tilt mode. Play the game on easy though on tilt mode.

There are numerous difficulty settings, and there is a magnifying lens option where you can stretch the screen to full screen which I like.

The thing I like most about the game is that there are a lot of options where you can experiment with controls, difficulties, and other things.

@TorbenLarsen,
    I assume you are the developer, the only thing that I would like to mention is on the ipad, with a normal holding position, it is a little hard to hit the missile button. It is so far down on the bottom, that it is hard to reach when you are holding the ipad. Is there anyway that you could add a swap button option so the fire and missile buttons are swapped? Either that or maybe add a function to move buttons to customizable locations?

Otherwise, good fun simple game.

7. Royce

Royce Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2011
    One of the best old school shooters on the AppStore. Must buy at $0.99.

8. TorbenLarsen

#8 TorbenLarsen, Sep 7, 2012
    Connector, I really like your comment on the tilt, as it just shows the many ways one can use the different controls in the game :)

And you comment about the magnify feature or stretch mode which it really is, is right on! This was actually my idea to use the full size of the phone/iPad screen and I pretty much ONLY play in magnify mode on my iPod and my iPad :)
    (It was actually taken out in the end run, BUT I wanted it, so it stayed) :D

(The coming Amiga game Hybris will also have the magnify mode option)

In regards to the controls, we really didn't have much of a choise but to get a lot of control mechanics in there. It would be pretty much a disaster if the game didn't play at least as good like it does on the Amiga. It was really worth it. We had 15 experienced betatesters going at it and giving us valuable feedback :)

Your good idea about the control buttons and making them an option, I will forward to Martin Pedersen ;)

And Connector, you're right I am one of the developers on this oldie and really pushy Amiga gem of a shooter :)

Great to hear some positive and realistic feedback and really shows that there is a lot more to learn on these smartphones, iPad devices in regards to controls ;)

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]

Woah... really????

Easily a $4 game. I hadn't heard of Battle Squadron until it was ported over to the iOS, but after I snatched it up, I went out and found an old SEGA cartridge. It's been one of my favorite shmups since. =oP

If I had to do it all over again, I'd drop the $4 in an instant.

10. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    So could the dev please comment on why the lite version costs 99c?

11. TorbenLarsen

Sure :) The lite version was when it was introduced meant as a teaser, but it gave to much away. So in order not to confuse things with a sales campaign all prices are the same :)

12. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Man, that...made absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Still, I did pick up the universal version just before, (you know, the full one that costs the same as the lite as well as the two player version even though you can play it with two players as well?) and the game itself's pretty great.

Just for the record though, normally if I see anything with a "lite" label and a price tag attached, I can't distance myself from the dev in question fast enough. Make games dude. Leave labelling and product lines to the experts. ;)

13. TorbenLarsen

#13 TorbenLarsen, Sep 7, 2012
    That's great to hear syntheticvoid :)

I think you have a good point. A great retro classic ported to modern devices with style and keeping the retro touch is well worth those $, imho. A pricetag of $3.99 is by all means fair. If in doubts just read the ratings. Not anyone complaints about the price, in fact some even suggested, that they would gladly have payed $6.99 for this retro gem :)

Right now a campaign bargain at just $0.99 and on top of that we have even thrown in a 2 player split-screen mode, not seen before on iOS, for this type of game :)

Now that's a bargain for sure :)

[​IMG]

14. MeanTuna

MeanTuna Well-Known Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Writer
    Bought, never played it before but enoying it. I agree that having 3 vesions all costing the same is confusing though.

15. TorbenLarsen

Thanks for giving it a spin MeanTuna :) Being a rather small indie developer, prices can sometimes be tricky, although as of now a great bargain is at hand for your iOS device :rolleyes:

16. I like how the game has a lot of options for the controls. It really helps with shmups cause each different option gives us another flavor to the game. Usually I don't like tilt for shmups, but this game, the tilt option seems to play so well. Also I like how there are two options for touch one kind of direct touch and one relative touch.

While I never played this game on the Amiga, I'm sure this port plays so much better than the original. Thanks for letting us play this retro classic. And the music is great too!

17. Well, for that price range, I would much rather have Mutant Storm or Space Tripper, two of our favorite shooter type games, but I would probably buy this game for two bucks, I suppose, since it is a solid retro shooter and it has 2 player mode on my new ipad.

But I will agree with you that it is a good game, and it sure does bring back sweet memories of games from the past ike Xevious, and glad you found it on an old Sega cartridge.

18. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    The graphics on the Amiga were ahead of their time, but it was the sound that was most impressive. At around the same time as the original Adlib PC card (maybe before), you could use an Amiga as a semi-respectable (for the time) studio synthesizer.

19. I think what he meant to say was there are no inapps in this game! :)

Kind of refreshing to not have inapps cause it seems that a ton of games lately have them, but back in the old days there was no such things as inapps, there probably weren't even cell phones back then. Landlines and 300 baud modems ruled.

20. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Even worse, I often see games labeled "free" with a not so free pricetag. A shady way for devs to get picked up by the app trackers, IMO