iPhone The Creeps! HD

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by RegularStormy, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Anim8rJB

Anim8rJB Member

I think the $5.99 loss in revenue is worth it not to have to deal with an entitled, impossible to please customer.

2. I'm sorry you feel that way, I really didn't mean to alienate you or single you out. I was just trying to explain why I've made the decisions I've made, and to show how trying to please one group of customers can just lead to upsetting other customers. Maybe I could have done something different that wouldn't have upset you. I'm certainly trying to learn from my experiences. Why do you feel penalized? What did I take away from you? What do YOU think I could have done differently?

Yes, I won't be removing or disabling it. Not everyone will use iCloud, and I don't want to remove functionality for iOS 4.x users. As for the other iCloud questions... sorry I'm no help there. I've just started experimenting with it myself!

3. Raymond23

Raymond23 Member

May 31, 2010
    For starters, don't tell your paying customers that you don't care if they are not happy and that they should just go away and request a refund.

And your rant was ridiculous...

4. Anim8rJB

Anim8rJB Member

And you didn't answer his question at all...go into specifics on how he can improve his business model instead of reiterating that your feelings are hurt.

5. cjsbug

cjsbug Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Los Angeles
    wow...:(

bummer that the conversation has gone this direction.

Raymond, don't be so hard on yourself about your $3 purchase. You don't have crystal balls. And I'm sure you enjoyed the extra levels you purchased. :)

So, anyway...

THANK YOU RS for making The Creeps! HD free this weekend. The Creeps! and geoDefense were my introduction to TD games way back in the early part of 2009.

Now a couple years and a couple devices later I can replay on the "big screen" :)

6. Hmm. I think there's been a misunderstanding. I have never said "I don't care if my customers are happy". I never said, "go away and ask for a refund". I DID say that if you weren't satisfied with the game, you were free to get your money back, and that it wouldn't hurt my feelings. I understand that people may not be happy with a product for whatever reason, and I don't want to keep someone's money who isn't happy with my game.

Not a big deal or anything, but I don't think it qualified as a "rant". Rants are usually people whining and complaining about something... putting other people down for disagreeing with them, and/or calling them names. A lot of times they include outrageous or just plain false claims or accusations. I didn't do any of those things. I just told you what I did, and how people reacted badly to it. It wasn't exaggeration, I didn't lie, it all really happened that way. Yes, I used "how dare you" to add a little drama to my stories, and there was a snarky quip here and there (like the 3 year celebration sale comment). But I never said "these people are wrong!" or "Those people are stupid for reacting this way" or "OMG I can't believe how entitled people are" or anything even remotely like that. I never put down any person or group of people. I never said they were being unreasonable, and I never said I didn't care what they thought. I was certainly surprised with people's reactions in many cases, but I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

But if you actually read my "ridiculous rant", you would see that many of my decisions were made specifically to make my customers happy. And that many of them backfired in one way or another.

From my point of view, with the All Access Pass, I was just trying to make new customers happy. Those people sometimes feel ripped off because they purchased a game, but didn't get 100% of the available content included. It doesn't matter that what's included and what's optional is spelled out in the description, people usually don't read long descriptions so I can't blame them for not knowing. I don't read long descriptions, so how can I expect other people to? They don't realize all those extras took almost 3 years to make, they just think I sold them half a game and withheld content so I could trick them into buying level packs! Of course I know that's not true, but people tend to jump to conclusions.

Also, the All Access Pass isn't a bad deal for most customers who have already purchased level packs. You still save money if you have purchased 4 level packs or less because it will unlock any future level pack for free. Again, I didn't have to make it unlock future packs, but I did to try making people happy. Even if, worst case, you already own 4 packs... and, worst case, there are no new level packs ever... then you would still break even. (And by "worst case" I'm talking about the worst case where it still makes sense to buy the All Access Pass). And for the real fans that buy every level pack as they come out, well those people (who are SO AWESOME by the way) already have all of them except the newest one, and for them to complete the collection will only cost them $.99. So I didn't think anyone was getting screwed, I just thought I was offering a really good deal to anyone who wants to buy all the levels at once.

But from your point of view, you got screwed for not waiting for the package deal. Up until the last update, you enjoyed the game (I'm assuming you did anyway, since you thought it was worth buying level packs). The update didn't take anything away from you, but it still made you feel like you were treated unfairly... because it offered a deal that you couldn't take advantage of. I'm not sure there's a solution to this since sales and bulk discounts are a pretty common business practice.

Hopefully you can enjoy the levels you have, and hopefully you'll feel like you got your money's worth again... like you did a few days ago before the new version came out. I'm not sure what I can do to make you feel better... and I have a feeling these long posts aren't actually helping you, they are probably just making you more angry.

So this is the last I'll say about it:
    I'm sorry you feel like you got treated unfairly, but that honestly wasn't my intention.

7. #147 RegularStormy, Oct 29, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
    I agree, let's talk about HAPPY STUFF! :):):)

The next update is underway as we speak! I'll be adding a pack of FREE levels. I'll also be adding iCloud support for sharing/recovering scores, stats, and unlocked level packs between different versions of the game on different devices! Think of it as my way of giving thanks to my awesome players! Oh yeah, speaking of giving thanks... it will be a Thanksgiving themed level pack :)

8. Raymond23

Raymond23 Member

May 31, 2010
    That's what happens when devs nickel and dime consumers.

Regular prive on this game is $4 (no, I didn't pay that) Then an extra $6 for all access.

That's a $10 app for everything at regular price.

This isn't a $10 app. Not even close. Have you seen what you can get for $10 in the iStore. This game isn't very good. I kept it on my ithings because I actually did waste money buying it and level packs. But it pales to other TD games. You treat every update as a chance to get more money from the paying customers and a chance to sucker in more customers while negleting the current user base.

It's second rate apps like this that I usually quickly delete after wasting $0.99 on (or downloaded for free and it wasn't even worth that). It's devs like you who are always trying to bleed more money out of consumers that give the app stare a bad reputation.

Seriously. Go look at what $10 can get you in the app stor and tell me your product measures up. It doesn't.

So, I wasted a few bucks. Shame on me. But and extra $6 is actually laughable. App deleated and moving on...

9. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    $10 is about £6 according to Google. That's nothing, that's less than I spend on lunch. And if such a small sum of money is so important to you, why don't you keep the app you'd already paid for? I really can't see the point of deleting it. And why did you buy level packs for it if you don't like the game? Seems a very odd thing to do.

Anyway The Creeps! has many hours of gameplay, easily 10x the amount many 99¢ apps have.

10. Harpgliss

Harpgliss Well-Known Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Here No More
    Hi,

Shame this thread went the way it did.

We need to support the good developers and RegularStormy is certainly one of the good ones.

Have had the original version of The Creeps since it launched and it is one of the few games my wife plays, high compliment indeed.

I had been debating getting the HD version here and am quite happy and feel a little bit bad for getting it now for free.

I just want to say thanks to RegularStormy for the neat Halloween gift.

David

11. Inked

Inked Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Just wondering if this is a bug?

12. Ubisububi

Ubisububi Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2009
    California
    What happened to Raymond has happened to all of us. However it's not fair to fault the developer for trying to find the perfect price point to maximize sales.

I would like to thank Stormy for not going down the "consumable IAP road." I find the $6 pass to be a good price, even though I have already purchased a few level packs; Especially considering that he went out of his way to make it work on both the iPhone and iPad versions.

13. Yes, it is. I'm mad I missed it :mad:
    It will be fixed in the next update.

14. Inked

Inked Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Thanks, looking forward to the Thanksgiving (and maybe Christmas) update.

15. Modean

Modean New Member

Nov 3, 2011
    Halloween hangover level

Help!

I can't even beat the last Halloween level (titled "hangover") on he easy setting. Please help!:eek:

16. doobiedoo73

doobiedoo73 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2010
    #156 doobiedoo73, Nov 3, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2011
    Hi! I'm a new player that took advantage of your free promotion (hardly ever pay for games) and I'm hooked. I will be happy to pay for the upgrades when I get to the point that I need to, so I'm appreciative that you have the option to buy the whole upgrade.

To the dev: I saw your 'rant' (I personally think it qualifies!) and I agree that you can't please everyone and you really did try to make the right decisions! Screw the ones to take a game so seriously! I buy stuff and it goes on sale a week later all the frickin time!!

17. arugula

arugula New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Cross the Streams! Doorbuster Strategy

Has anyone beat this level perfectly? I am good until wave 18 and I simply can't find a way to take out the two big caramel apples in time, especially without selling any towers. Please share your thoughts.

18. HLW

HLW Well-Known Member

Sep 2, 2010
    UK
    It's worth it.

19. Pablovi

Pablovi Member

May 24, 2011
    I can't even beat a previous level. "The Wall"!!! On easy!!!! How did you beat that? Is impossible!

20. pka4916

pka4916 Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2009
    Male
    Wisconsin
    You need to get a life..
    This app is simple, and giving you a good time to relax.
    I'm sorry if you feel the need for Hi Graphics with Unreal engine etc..
    This is just a plain App, with nice graphics..
    Hell, there are Apps out there that I paid $4.99 - $8.99 and it's crap.. oh well.
    That's the risk you take.. No need to rant at the Dev for that..
    If you read the reviews, watch trailers, screens , then you should know enough.. So it's your own fault.. Sorry for waisting your Hamburger and Fries.. Grow up...!

btw.. Bought the Full Access pass. Game has quite made some changes..
    Didn't play it for the longest time, since I got lost in the levels, but I see now, that you changed that completely.
    Looking out for more :)