3.0... Free?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Booch138, Jul 7, 2009.

1. Booch138

Booch138 Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    So I, like many of us on here, purchased the 3.0 update on day 1. I cranked out the $9.95, not a huge deal, but a pain none-the-less. A couple buddies of mine waited on having to pay for it though. Didn't feel that it was worth it yet, or some reason. Well 2 days ago, one of them went to download it anyways and bite the bullet, only to realize that upon updating it, it was free. No charge to his account was made, or anything like that. To this hour, there is still no charge. I thought, well hey cool man you got away with it. So we told my other buddy about it and he went to DL it about 3 hours ago, just to see if his would be free and once again it was free. No charge to his account or anything like that. Of course they are not complaining, but wtf? Has anyone else picked it up for free by accident or otherwise? I heard of like 2 or so people on these forums that said they never got charged for it for some odd reason when it was released, but ummm... is it totally free now? Or what... cause had I known that it was going to be free in 2 weeks... I would have waited that out big time. I mean a lot of apps are still catching up to 3.0 anyways. Anyone want to shed a little light on this? Is it really free? Or did my friends really just get flat out lucky lol. Discuss?

2. S.I.D. CrAzY

S.I.D. CrAzY Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #2 S.I.D. CrAzY, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    I picked it up the day it came out and it was free. Apple hasn't charged me yet. A lot of people got it free on the day of release as well.

Edit: And no I don't have an iPhone, nor am I a dev.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Are they doing this on separate computers or same computers that 3.0 has previously been bought on?

4. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    i watched a video on Yutube, and they got it for free but it wasnt like the normall way to DL it. They got it via torrent I think. (I have had 3.0 since day 1). But did you watch your friends do it? Anyways, thy might get charged later cause the iTunes store can lagg and not charge you right now but in like a week.

I payed 10 bucks for it and it was a pain...But to vget it for free pisses me off lol..10 bucks is alot cause you can buy Rolando 2 with that money..

5. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    #5 Booch138, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
    They did it on completely different computers, with completely different accounts. They both have iPod Touches, and they are not devs. I mean I bought it on mine, and updated it for free on my wife's ipod (only had to buy it once kind of thing). So why the hell did the rest of us get charged? I mean that's not cool, nor makes any sense. I am fine with having to pay the fee, as long as everyone else had to. I will start complaining when several people didnt have to pay for it.

My point exactly. I knew a couple other people who got it for free off a torrent, but it was the iPhone update, and they used it on a iTouch. Neither of the 2 friends I mentioned though did this though. And for the fact that I had to pay 10, and many people seemingly did not have to, I am a little irked cause If I didn't have to buy that, I could have gotten Rolando 2.

6. yourofl10

yourofl10 Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2008
    You know since they didn;t get charged maybe its just a weird glitch in the system/server?

7. appreview123

appreview123 Well-Known Member

May 20, 2009
    I dunno why everyone wants to pay $10 for the 3.0 when there is going to be another ipod touch released in september with it already pre-installed.

I am just going to wait and get a new ipod touch since I've heard it might have a camera, better spec's, etc

8. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    That's good for you man, but not everyone is getting a new iPod...
    That was among the few things I could think of that could have been the issue. I have no idea though.

9. spamboy

spamboy Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Or they got it from one of my favorite sites...

http://www.felixbruns.de/iPod/firmware/

10. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    No they literally plugged in their iPod in iTunes, clicked the update button, went to the page to update it an d clicked on whatever buttons he said, and nothing charged him. I guess the same with my other friend who updated 2nd.

11. ipressbuttons

ipressbuttons Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Let me be the first to say...

I call bull****

12. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Heh... me too. I am wondering what I can do about this, if anything. Because I honestly do not think it's fair that I had to pay and so many others didn't. Like I said before, I didn't mind paying the fee, so long as everyone else that needed to had to do the same. I just feel a little ripped off that's all.

13. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    Keep thinking that. I dunno why everyone who hears speculation from another person goes elsewhere and spreads it like you KNOW it's happening.

There's been no official statement that a new iPod will be out in September, just some forum members saying they hope it will since the iPod 2g came out last September. It may still happen and if it is, Apple has kept their mouth shut about it and so should you with the rumors.

14. evanmav

evanmav Well-Known Member

Nov 23, 2008
    i got it for free on the first day it came out. I plugged my ipod in and hit check for updates and said there was a new update. I hit update and it just started to dl it. I thought it was gona charge me but it didnt. It was weird because i didnt know if they were gonna stop charging or wat so then i checked another forum and a lot of people were getting it for free too. I guess apple just messed up some how but im glad i got it for free because theres not much new thats worth 10 bucks.

15. VoodooVyper

VoodooVyper Well-Known Member

Jan 25, 2009
    I paid $10 the first day it came out. Not only did I have to restore and lose all of my games saves, but now I also have weaker Wifi. Good use of $10, imo.

16. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    I upgraded today... it asked for my iTunes account password. I'm expecting an e-mail receipt in a few days. We will see...

This is nothing I would get pissed off about - seems to be a random glitch...

I have not noticed any upgrade problems w/ lost game saves or anything...

17. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I just bought it yesterday, so yes, not everyone is getting it for free these days. Now, let's see what my $10 got me:

Plus (so far):

1. Couple of games that wouldn't run until I updated (probably didn't need them anyway, though)
    2. A couple of extra pages (cool, but not enough for my needs :) )
    3. Search (again cool, but that stupid magnifying glass is hard to hit)

Minus (so far):

1. Cost me $10 (for a cheapskate like me, that's 9 games, counting tax)
    2. Took me like 5 minutes for iTunes on the device to recognize my password, which hasn't changed since I set up my account
    3. Had problems installing several betas that worked before the update

So far, not so good. But hey, not like I needed that $10 anyway. Should have just saved the money so I could spend $200+ in September for a new device :rolleyes:

18. Booch138

Apr 28, 2009
    Data-Entry Operator
    Coolidge, AZ
    Is there anyway I would be able to contact Apple about my complaint? I mean I really don't like to be a complainer but I can't take it anymore. I don't know why some of us had to pay, and some of us didn't. Like I said, if we all had to pay, I would be fine. But I just can't accept the fact that I paid, and so many others didn't have to. Would anyone know how to go about contacting them?

19. Patton

Patton Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Grad Student
    Denver
    I would leave well enough alone... I would imagine all you would accomplish is getting Apple to do an audit of who has 3.0 vs. who has paid for it. If people have in fact upgraded for free - just be happy for them... its like they won a $10 lotto.

There is no way anything you do will get you a refund.

20. ian1969uk

ian1969uk Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    What do you expect to gain? They are not going to give those of us who paid a refund, why should they? The only thing they would do is try to find out who didn't pay and charge them. That gains you nothing, so why would you want to make others pay?

I did pay for the update, but I have no desire to stuff those who may have happened to get it for free,

Just let it go my friend, life is like this sometimes, no point in getting worked up about it :)