Tabletop type games ?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by psj3809, Sep 30, 2011.

1. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Back in the 80's before computers became popular all kids seemed to have these brilliant LCD type toys tabletop games...

http://www.retro-games.co.uk/electronic/grandstand/grandstand.htm

I would LOVE an iOS version of one of these, the sounds/graphics/controls were very basic but the LCD graphics and noises at the time were brilliant.

Has anyone found anything similar ?

Searching for LCD i found a lot of very old simulated type games, eg LCD Soccer, LCD Football which are great, and must be based on early 1970's type games.

But in the early 80's you had these great range of games, shoot em ups and other similar variations.

The link above brings back some great memories. Okay i'm not a programmer but 'surely' it would be easy for someone to create their own variation and nod to the old skool days ?

Bit like all the Game and Watch type games, which are great. I've got most of them from the App Store, but LCD tabletop games like the above would be great. But there doesnt seem to be any sadly

2. djflippy

djflippy Well-Known Member

Mar 9, 2009
    Leaping Lambrettis

3. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    Other than the early LED Sports-type ones, I haven't either. The really high-quality ones made by companies like Entex and Tomy would be especially welcome. I still have a bunch of these, and love them. :D

The only other ones I've seen on iOS are based on the much smaller Game Watch series, and others like them. You might want to check out L3D, which isn't as sophisticated as the later ones, but worth a look.

4. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Thanks. Got that thoughs it's a game and watch game

Trying to find any grandstand type tabletop games.