I only buy the best games

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bravetarget, Oct 5, 2009.

1. bravetarget

bravetarget Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2009
    The ones with the most hype, and minimum 4 star rating.

Ones I know I will play beyond the 20 minute induction period.

Q: Excluding official App Store Reviewers, why do you purchase these obviously unpolished games that are littered with flaws and boredom?

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    You've missed a ton of great games.

3. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Because of OpenFeint.

4. Comassion

Comassion Well-Known Member

May 23, 2009
    What games do you have?

5. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    it'd take some time to write up the whole list. but, when i have time to play some iphone games its hard to make the decision because they've all maintained my interest over weeks and weeks. /highfive

as an example, xenowars

6. jecebn

jecebn Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Kansas City, MO
    Every gamer likes different things, something that looks "unpolished" to you may look really great to others.

There are TONS of good games in the app store that have less than a 4-star average rating, you are really missing out on a lot if that is how you deem which games are worth purchasing.

7. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    very well said

and if you are relying on highly rated app store ratings...there are plenty of games with all 5 star reviews...all of which are fake

8. bone.rate

bone.rate Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    I am with you:D

9. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    You shouldn't have told him that, we could have just directed him to a bunch of them and pretended we were really hyped about them :p

10. Joshnsuch

Joshnsuch Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Louisville
    Agreed.

11. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    #11 Theta-Omega, Oct 5, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2009
    Anything else, maybe 3 or 4 more?

Edit: nvm, i see where this is going.

12. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    #12 bravetarget, Oct 5, 2009
    sure, some reviews posted towards an app are only there because of developers actions, or they have many friends. but obvious samefag is obvious.

what im saying is if there are excessive reviews stating the game has serious flaws, then moves it directly to the avoid bucket, even if it has flashy screenshots.

Civilization Revolution
    Ancient Tribe
    Robocalypse
    BattleField

like i said, the list of quality apps with tons of replayability goes on, so an opinion of me "missing out" is pretty misleading.

13. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Not at all. I'm assuming you have personal taste, let's pretend you love turtles. A turtle game comes out, and it kinda sucks, it's gotten average reviews at best, mostly 3 stars... however your personal love for the little things would mean that in your eyes, this game is worth a hundred stars.

Then the elitism kicks in. No one's been talking about the game, the hype is in the negatives, the only five-star reviews on the App Store seem to have come from friends of the developer. You can't have this travesty on your iPhone! The very idea of spending money on this garbage leaves a bad taste in your mouth and you toss the idea to the back of your mind, where it stays for eternity.

...and you never find out that "Tom The Teeny Turtle" was actually destined to become one of your favourite games of all time.

Repeat for a couple dozen other games about turtles.

14. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    Whats witht turtle fetish:p...why not panda bears.

Everything else I agree with.

15. bravetarget

Sep 14, 2009
    Well thought out example, now replace my interest of turtles to my interest of good games and the logic turns into a memory leak. boom simulator crash.

16. Theta-Omega

Theta-Omega Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Classified
    By your logic, 5 star reviews mean a great game, regardless of how most people actually view it. 5 stars doesn't necessarily mean a good game. And i quote you, "and the logic turns into a memory leak. boom simulator crash."

17. P0tent1al

P0tent1al Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    European Account Manager
    United Kingdom
    Still waiting for this list
    I suspect this is just an attention seeking thread... :rolleyes:
    Example if Real Racing is on your list which is a game with incredibly high ratings that should mean everyone will love it... but that will never happen!

Step up with the list and brace yourself for the backlash! :p

18. MidianGTX

Jun 16, 2009
    Yeah well the whole idea of the post was to point out that in your eyes, certain games could be considered good even when other people rate them far lower.

19. ArtNJ

ArtNJ Well-Known Member

Jul 13, 2009
    New Jersey
    #19 ArtNJ, Oct 5, 2009
    There is surely a class of person, the conformist who likes to fit in, who is more or less average in each and every single respect, for whom the average rating of the unwashed masses would convey more information then any other game information or more detailed reviews.

It goes without saying that a such a person has no special love for turtles.

20. gekkota

gekkota Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Yep. Just another newbie starved for attention.
    Anyone who starts a thread by stating they only buy the best games--"The ones with the most hype"--is basically flaunting their cluelessness.

I can somewhat understand if a person wants to buy a game with at least a four-star average, but to want to buy games with "the most hype" is just plain silly. Duke Nukem, anyone??

Conversely, Spider:The Secret of Bryce Manor came out of left field with zero hype preceeding its release...and what a wonderful surprise that turned out to be!