Game Center usage ratio in your application?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Marc Vaughan, Dec 26, 2010.

1. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    Hi,

I've implemented GameCenter into my product for the first time and was wondering what percentage of users actually utilise GameCenter on average - as I'm considering putting a more indepth implementation of it into the game in the future and obviously thats somewhat dependant on whether people do actually use the system or not ...

There's an interesting article on this here:
    http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/39102/So-how-popular-is-Apples-Game-Center-anyway

Whats the ratio for your app? - most seem to be around 25% of users in the reports I've seen .... but these appear to (in the main) be a few months old and this might have changed somewhat recently ...

2. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    Couple things seriously wrong with that article: Most of those sales figures are wild guesses at best, and I don't think any of those games actually shipped with Game Center - it was added in an update. I'd bet a lot of users trashed those games long before Game Center was available and never looked back.

All I know is that my game Silverfish has 6000+ Game Center users, and nowhere near that many sales. Conclude from that what you will.

3. Xapped

Xapped Well-Known Member

Oct 12, 2010
    Hmm, sort of unrelated, but apple could use game center as an anti-piracy method. Verify if the player signing into game center actually has bought the app, that is.

4. Zincous

Zincous Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    A single iTunes account on multiple devices can download the same app again for free multiple times. And then be signed into different Game Center accounts on each device.

Which means it'd be impossible to verify that. And I am not saying this alone will cause inflated numbers as high as you guys probably see, but it's a factor.

5. ChaoticBox

ChaoticBox Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2008
    Male
    Developer
    Toronto Canada
    You can also use more than one GC account on the same device - but on the flip side Silverfish runs on OS 3, iPhone 3G, and has a GC opt-out switch. I have no doubt there are some legitimate multi-GC users out there, but I also know (for a fact) that a lot of my users are on devices that don't support GC at all. It'd be a huge stretch to assume the multi-GC cases are responsible for the numbers I'm seeing, especially given the Game Center adoption rates of other games.