Alien Space Retro: coming soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by AlienSpace, May 12, 2011.

1. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Hi everyone,

I'd like to announce Alien Space Retro, which is currently in development and should be out soon, as in around a month from now. Of course, it depends on how things go. =)

Alien Space Retro is a new game based on Alien Space, but with all new graphics inspired by games like the classic Asteroids. The game will feature all the campaign levels from Alien Space, the regular survival level, and a new survival mode... and possibly other things. Keep an eye on this thread for more information and new screenshots.

Here's the first screenshot of the game. This isnt final yet, but should give you a good idea of the new HUD and how the game generally looks.

[​IMG]

Feel free to post here with comments and suggestions. Since the game is still in development any good ideas will be seriously considered. I should have more screenshots and hopefully gameplay videos soon. Also, check out the Facebook page for more information about the game:

https://www.facebook.com/AlienSpaceGame

Thanks!

2. Simon Potticary

Simon Potticary Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Writer
    East London
    Looks retrolicious! Can't wait.

I'm a big fan of the original Alien Space and due to some kinda time-warp wormhole, I'm trapped in 1983 and I'm 10 years old all over again - if only!

3. STYJ

STYJ Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Student
    Singapore
    Yeah , the original alien space is definitely fun . Think i'm on level 12 ? And I'm still going !

Can't wait to see how this game turns out .

4. KiwiGummy

KiwiGummy Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    This is looking really good. I think the retro graphics will really work for this type of game.

5. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    New screenshots. I'll have more soon. Let me know what you think guys. Enjoy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    More screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    And some more screenshots. Hopefully I'll have some gameplay videos soon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Ruby Murray

Ruby Murray Active Member

Apr 13, 2011
    New York
    I love all things retro and Asteroids so this looks like a no brainer for me. I take it the control method is the two circles at the bottom of the screen? That might take some getting used to after being addicted to Solar Minotaur but I'm sure I'l manage! Good luck with this.

9. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Yes that's correct, the controls are the standard dual-stick, move with left and shoot with right.

10. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Looks very nice in motion.

11. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Man, that is looking really good. You did a great job on the original, but honestly, I like the look of this one better. I'm a sucker for vector/neon graphics so I will definitely be buying this right out of the gate!

12. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    Thanks for the great comments guys. Actually it looks better live, but I wasnt able to get such a great video quality once the encoder got finished squeezing the life out of the raw video. =( Likewise with the screenshots, much of the detail (especially of the starfield in the background) is lost.

I'll post more vids soon.

13. voxelate

voxelate Active Member

May 17, 2011
    That has a really clean look and the gameplay looks fun. I'm looking forward to this game. :)

14. Iljimae

Iljimae Well-Known Member

May 20, 2011
    Yeah, this game is on my list. It looks like this game has simple design but very addictive game play.

15. KiwiGummy

KiwiGummy Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Agree with B34$T, looks very nice in motion.

16. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Whoa! This does look very good! Are there any changes in gameplay from the original or is it basically a reskin?

17. AlienSpace

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    #20 AlienSpace, May 24, 2011
    Last edited: May 24, 2011
    The game will include the campaign from Alien Space, as well as the normal survival mode, plus a new game mode which I'm working on now. It might possibly also include new difficulty levels (Easy, Difficult, other?) whereas the original game only had the one default difficulty. As usual it's all a matter of how much I can get done in the time I have, but I'll try to have more solid information to post as I get those things done.

Edit: I should also say, I'm always open to suggestions. If anyone has interesting ideas about a gameplay mode or anything else for that matter, feel free to post with it. If I end up using an idea I'll credit the person in the game. Thanks!