iPad gaming vs iphone/ipod gaming

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by zeonmx, Dec 23, 2011.

?

Which device do you prefer to play games on?

1. ipad

34 vote(s)
    59.6%
  2. iphone/ipod

23 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Ice Cream Sandwich is awesome

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. zeonmx

zeonmx Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2011
    When you get a universal game, which one do you prefer to play it on?

The only reason I don't like to play games on mobile devices is that it gets overheated too fast...

2. RaptorF35

RaptorF35 Well-Known Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Computer Technician
    On a Motherboard
    I have no clue why ANYONE would want to play on an iPhone if their iPad is around. The only games I have on my iPod touch are Hook Champ, Hook Worlds, Super Quickhook, and Dungeon Raid. All of which are NOT universal.

3. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    I know, right? I hate playing on iPods... I used to have one. I never used it for games, because the screen was too small! Actually, I never really used it. I'm using my iPad right now to type this lol.

4. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    iPad 2 all the way. Hated the small screen of my iPhone 4S to play games on. I am fine with 2x the iPhone games. Love the big screen! Can't imagine GTA 3 or Aralon etc on a smaller screen

5. SSquared

SSquared Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Software Developer
    Pacific Northwest
    iPad! My Touch just sits now. Will probably give it to my daughter. Though it served me well for two years.

6. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    I do 95% of my iOS gaming on the 4th gen. iPod, but the rare times I play games on the family iPad 2 are a better experience I'll admit.

7. Tuilelath

Tuilelath Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    Licensed Optician
    I play on my iPhone 95% of the time. I like playing on something that fits in one hand. I prefer handheld game consoles, also.
    What I do play on my iPad are word games like crosswords, sudoku, hidden object games and adventure games like Broken Sword.
    I'm usually sitting here reading the forums on my iPad and playing a game on my phone.

8. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    iPhone: Zombieville 2, Zombie Gunship, Doodle Jump, Cut the Rope, Tilt to Live, Psmos, Tiny Wings, Jetpack Joyride, etc.

iPad: Anomaly Warzone Earth, Battleheart, Trenches 2, Dead Space, Multiponk, Monopy, Mirrors Edge, Scribblenauts, etc

Some games are just better on the iphone compared to the ipad and vise versa

9. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I play on my iPod 100% at a time. Simply because I don't own an iPad. If I would, I'd keep racing games on iPod and well any tilt game, but shooters on iPad and other fun games with big screen.

10. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Actually I don't understand what's the problem with everyone saying iPod is too small. I can play well on it.

11. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    Me too. I find the ipad to big for a game like MC3 for example, because you need to lay it flat on a table to enjoy it because there are so many buttons, which I can't imagine being able to reach comfortably with my fingers around a huge ipad. But maybe it's just a thing you need get used to idk... I'll stick to the iphone/ipod touch:D

12. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    It feels small after gaming on an iPad! Kind of like going back to 14 inch led screen after you have been gaming on a 23 inch screen.

13. PugLover

PugLover Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2011
    USA
    Exactly. The retina display of the iPhone 4S is beautiful, so some games do look better plus on the go, you cant beat it for portability like any other phone. If you can't afford an iPad 2, then you are out of luck.

The iPad 2 overwhelmingly is more fun to game with for me

14. Flick

Flick Member

Dec 23, 2011
    I think the iPhone / iPod Touch is better for first-person shooter games and for games that make heavy use of d-pads and virtual buttons (since the small size is similar to "normal" video game controllers).

For everything else... I think the iPad is better. :)

15. DigitalB33R

DigitalB33R Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2010
    just curious, do you prefer to play racing games on the iphone/ipod touch or the ipad?

16. dclose

dclose Well-Known Member

Nov 20, 2011
    For me, the iPod Touch's retina display beats the iPad's blurriness every time. When/if they ever come out with an iPad with a higher quality display, then we'll see. :) As it is, the iPod Touch fits in my pocket/purse and I can whip it out and game anywhere. Not so with the much larger iPad.

17. TakenXXDeadly

TakenXXDeadly Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Student
    Have you tried MC3 on the iPad? I admit that it isn't as good on the iPad, but once you get used to it it's easy. I don't lay my iPad on the table, because it feels weird for some reason. I lay it on my lap, that's the best way to play for me.

18. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    Racing Games, Graphics heavy games, RPGs, deep games, long level games and now Espgaluda, Especially good looking games which are fun to "See" like S&S, Anomaly warzone, etc.- iPad

Casual games, bite-sized level games, DSS, Word games (excluding scrabble), Most Platformers - iPod.

19. TheGreatWhiteApe

TheGreatWhiteApe Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2011
    Games Designer, animator, writer
    Melbourne, Australia
    Depends on the Game

Anything with tilt controls is way better on iPhone/iPod, but any puzzle games or game that just require touching are awesome on iPad. It is great having universal apps, it is a bit more work for the developers, but it makes an app way more valuable to the user. Most people with iPad, probably have iPhones as well.

20. Grubjelly

Grubjelly Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2009
    To me, someone who stared at small puzzle diagrams long before encountering a portable game system, part of the appeal of small-screen gaming is the added challenge to visual acuity, which not only helps me to recognize patterns and geometrical alignments in certain games, but also yields improvements in the kind of prospective memory consolidation required of the tougher challenges in certain iOS games; I have a far easier time mentally replaying levels intitially experienced on a small screen. Generally, the games I prefer on ipad are certain multitouch games designed for the larger screen and most boardgames or adventure games with squinty text and small buttons (just plain bad for eyesight). If I ever play an arcade game on ipad, it's usually in order to keep up with the scores posted by others on ipad, or because the button layout or control scheme was obviously not tested on small iOS devices; many developers of universal games have neither the visual nor tactile acuity to fully test the games on smaller devices, but release them with ipad-calibrated achievements under the false assumption that ipod/iphone users rising to the challenge will render such a consideratiom moot in the long run. Although it can be a little disheartening to know that specific objectives or achievements were often defined by developers playtesting (with or without pausing) on ipad or desktop emulator, it makes it somewhat more satisfying to win a game on the smaller format while knowing that most developers and players would not be able to do the same.