Game Recommendation for 4 year old, something with lots of exploring

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by aikavari, Jan 23, 2014.

1. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    Hey guys... So my kid got to play GTA on a classmates IPad and got totally hooked. He asked me if he could play and naturally, as any responsible parent of a 4 year old would do, I said no. Now I'm here asking you guys if you know of any game LIKE GTA (with the exploring and vehicles and stuff) but geared for graders. Please any recommendation would help.:)

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    You could try Crazy Taxi, its like GTA but without tons of violence ! I mean its the same type of viewpoint etc, large city to drive around etc. You basically have to pick up passengers, drop them off, dont try and crash and lose points or your tip will be small etc.

Worth looking at

3. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Yeah I played that a bit. The thing is, my kid likes exploring... From how he described it to me, he just walked around the airport trying to get in, and who he did get it, he tried flying around town on an airplane... Crazy taxi is nice but I guess it's not the driving that he likes. It's more the freedom to do lots of stuff. I swear, if we can just disable the cursing and the violence, GTA would be perfect.

4. Fangbone

Fangbone Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2012
    Michigan, USA
    I know it's not anything like GTA but maybe give Minecraft a try.

5. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Do you have a Wii U? Because there's that awesome Lego City game on it.

As for iPad, I guess the best thing would be Minecraft as Fangbone said. Only problem is no vehicles. Let me think about it.

6. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Battle Supremacy (The tank/plane/ship game) is pretty good as yeah you can battle against the computer but theres a 'free roam' mode so you can just drive a tank, ride a boat or fly a plane around the island to do what you want

7. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    #7 undeadcow, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
    My 5 year old daughter love Heroes of Loot, Punch Quest, and some of the donut games (Rat on a Jetski). These games are two dimensional but also emphasize quick decision making and exploration (in Heroes of Loot you can wonder around a dungeon labyrinth).

If your kid likes the exploring aspect of GTA he might enjoy Gameloft's Spider-man or Batman games (they are open world, you can cruise around superhero style with some comic book level violence and no profanity). Also, he might enjoy some of the open world role playing games like 9th Dawn or Cavern but the graphics aren't on par with GTA. There's also some Tomb Raider games (I recommend Guardian of Light) that might strike him.

If your kid specifically prefers games in third person perspective then Crescent Moon's Aralon or Ravensword games might fit the bill in a more family friendly fashion (there is some combat with swords etc, but it's fantasy based so maybe more ok).

8. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    For a different experience, more like sightseeing in nice environments with some (but not heavy on) exploration, you can give these a try:
    Horn, Lili, Crow, Raven.
    My rugrat does not understand them yet at 2 years, but he loves the visuals. Crow is a bit grimdark, though; but you can fly around with the titular bird and just gawk at the landscapes ;)

9. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Police Patrol Game. Its 2D old school GTA style where you can play as a cop, i.e. one of the good guys. Theres a small town in it and you to do pull overs and what not. But there are shoot outs.
    Sacred odessey has a huge world thats really fun to play 'round in, but There is combat. Carnivores is also an idea, having big islands and an obsever mode to use for simple exploring.
    Otto matic and Bugdom 2 are platformers but they have big levels.
    Driver is open world but car only.
    Thats what I got.

10. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I actually bought Spider-Man a while back. I'll see if he likes it.

11. Give survivalcraft a try. It's a lot better than Minecraft PE in the sense that the world is infinite, so there is some real exploration. Also try Junk Jack.

I do agree with you on one thing: there needs to be more "kid safe" open world games.

12. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    I have all three of those. Was planning a multi player creative mode session with my 4 year old after school today.

BTW, he loves planes. He loves them so much that he can distinguish between most commercial airplane models just by looking at them. That I think is one of the reasons he life's GTA. He's been trying to get into the airport and wants to play the planes. He just saw some videos recently of those modded airplanes on GTA PC and nowhere wants to go in the airport and fly a plane across town.

13. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Let us know what the kid ends up liking, that might help me with some suggestions on what games to introduce to my offspring.

14. saansilt

saansilt 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Mar 23, 2013
    Flight unlimted might be just right.

15. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    I just found this on appsfire,

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/world-of-aircraft/id644904067?mt=8

It's free for a few days, it might not be suitable, I just saw planes and knew you said he loved them, might be worth locking a license for when he's a little older if you don't think it's appropriate just yet.

16. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Kids this days

I though games like Bad Piggies and Angry Birds are popular for them.

Anyways have you tried Gangstar Vegas? It's also an open world with almost same aspect as GTA's. I also recommend games like LEGO Batman and LEGO Lord of the Rings.

17. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Yes definitely check this one out

18. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    I bought my kid flight unlimited a while back. He's really good at flying planes now, especially for a 4 year old. I just downloaded Lego city my city since it looked like it was free roam. Unfortunately it was more mini games... Good thing my kid liked it though

19. aikavari

Apr 24, 2011
    I ended up building an airplane for him in MCPE complete with interiors to sate his need to ride a commercial airplane. It's not as good as the ones you see on the net but 4 year olds are easy to satisfy. :)

(Having a hard time uploading pics using the TA app :-()