Candy Crush Saga worth $8 Billion

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Lounge' started by Gov, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  2. Papa Deuce

Papa Deuce Well-Known Member

May 15, 2013
    It will follow Zynga to new lows. Both companies are run by scumbags.

3. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

FWIW, King's business model is vastly different from Zynga's... But don't let me get in the way of this unstoppable hate train. :)

4. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

True, but only scumbags would think they should be able to trademark the word saga.... essentially hurting so many other companies with the loss of a ubiquitous word, especially when it appears that they pretty much stole Candy Crush Saga from a previous developer.

5. iamcartez

iamcartez Well-Known Member

Well looks like I have a new company to follow on the market.

6. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013

I am not a professional stock picker, but I am retired, and I make most of my money from picking stocks.... I would say that 80% of my stock picks have made from "some" money to "awesome" money, and maybe even 1 could be called "Insane" money based on my original investment amount......

Here is how I see this IPO......

Small bump early....... stays about the same for a time...... slowly declines to about $3 a share UNLESS some company buys them out before that all happens. There is no way in hell that this company is worth 8 BILLION dollars. The gaming world is fickle...... today's superstar is tomorrow's forgotten stepchild......

7. HansKaosu

HansKaosu Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Ouch.. Poor guy

8. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    He's not poor compared to most people!

3m is not a bad deal. Sure, not as good as it could have been, but heck... That's a decent amount

9. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Again, you don't have an $8b company without protecting your interests to the fullest extent of the law. If you had your own $8b publicly traded company and decided to ignore your trademarks you'd quickly find yourself out of a job.

10. Teh_Ninja

Teh_Ninja Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Waiter at Chili's
    Dallas
    So you believe it's fine that King tried to trademark the word 'candy'?

11. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany

That's not the question. You haven't understood what Eli said.

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

The problem isn't with King, the problem is the ####ed trademark laws that force you to do things like this. Every single person posting in this thread would do the same thing to protect their interests if something they made was suddenly worth $8b.

13. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    I get your point. I went to Florida State and Villanova for law..... I still think they are scumbags.

I never practiced law, though. I decided to work for FOX TV as an engineer. I am pretty well educated. :)

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I'm no fan of King BUT if they didnt protect their trademarks/IP like this then i'm sure you would see 100000's more Candy Crush clones all over the app store. When their games worth so much i can see why they want to protect their IP

15. Papa Deuce

May 15, 2013
    So, the "saga" continues.... oops, lawsuit? ;)

It turns out that one of my favorite all time companies is attempting to do the same this, and it makes me sad and angry.

Google wants to trademark the word "Glass".

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/5273/20140406/uspto-shatters-google-attempt-to-trademark-glass.htm

And as it states in the article, Facebook tried to trademark the word "Book".

Granted, they may be looking for trademarks in regards to the way certain words can be used, but nonetheless, IMO, you just can't trademark words that are part of everyday language and have been for hundreds of years.

But obviously, higher powers than me, disagree with my thinking. Facebook has a trademark on the word "wall", as it regards to posting on an internet site. Personally, I don't think it would hold up in court, but I wouldn't want to pay the money to defend against it, so I would lose.

My point is, this needs to be nipped in the bud.... let it keep going and everybody will be getting sued for trademark violations over ubiquitous words that have been used for centuries.

BTW, one of the goofiest trademarks, IMO..... Pat Riley, former NBA coach, owns the trademark to the "word" "Threepeat"........ when clearly, he didn't invent that word. I don't know who did, but that is who it should belong to, not Pat Riley.

16. september

september Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2012
    There's been a couple of cases here where International companies have trademarked Maori language words and taken action to stop NZ organisations/people using them. One was a singers surname and the other was local educational software.

Idiotic to say the least.

17. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    All large tech companies are the same, i remember all the crap about Microsoft or Micro$oft as the geeks called them, i didnt mind Microsoft at all, thanks to Windows i've had lots of work over the years and Bill Gates gives a TON to charity. Look at Apple and the 'alleged' slave labour in the far east etc.

But all the other companies are the same, Google in this example, look at Mozilla whos former MD said those homophobic comments (and has since resigned). They're all as bad as each other.