Drifter by Celsius Game Studios

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by CGSColin, Sep 27, 2011.

1. CGSColin

CGSColin Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    #1 CGSColin, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
    Here's the latest trailer that we made to show how things are looking as of version 0.7.0:

--- The original post is below ---

Presenting my latest game: Drifter.

It is still very much in development, but it's gotten to the point where I felt I could release the name and a teaser trailer:

It is a space trading game built upon the spaceflight engine in Red Nova and inspired by games I grew up with such as Privateer and Frontier.

The galaxy at the end of the video is the game's galaxy, and if you were patient you would be able to visit every star in it.

I am planning on posting screenshots to Twitter often, and others to this thread less frequently. Feel free to follow along to watch as things develop!

2. TouchChatterbox

TouchChatterbox Well-Known Member

May 21, 2009
    #2 TouchChatterbox, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    Looks absolutely brilliant, Colin! :) I haven't played any of your games before but will be watching out for this. Any idea on an estimated release date? Red Nova looks fantastic too, think I might check that out in the meantime.

3. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I don't like estimating release dates because more often than not they're wrong and people still hold you to them ;) Let's just say that I want to get it out as soon as humanly possible!

If you do check Red Nova out, I hope you enjoy it!

4. TouchChatterbox

May 21, 2009
    By date I meant like Q4 2011, Q1 2012, that type of thing. Not "Eleventy-fifth November" :p

If you need any writing or design help, do let me know as I'm a big fan of your muses.

5. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    Well, how about this, I'm pretty sure it will be done before 2011 is out and I want it to be done well before 2011 is out but there's always a chance something unexpected may happen to cause that to slip into 2012.

I should be okay for writing and design as I've basically been thinking about what I'd put into a space trading game since about 1993 :) That said I'll gladly welcome feedback on my updates as I post them!

6. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    Great name, cool idea! Great job Colin!

7. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Looks great. I love space games, GoF2 is one of my favourite games on iOS.
    I'll be following the progress of this and I wish you the best of luck with it.

8. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I finished the first space station design (and it's sibling from the same company) and I'm pretty happy with it.

Note that these are pre-rendered and not in-game, that comes next:

[​IMG]
    (click to enlarge)

[​IMG]
    (click to enlarge)

9. legowiz

legowiz Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Behind you!
    Seriously? You need to get Red Nova! It's an amazing game that everyone should have!

Very nice looking! I want this game RIGHT NOW, even though it's not done :D Can't wait for it's release and I will be watching it's development very closely :cool:

10. UncleLimey

UncleLimey Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Another game in my 'want' list :)

11. Sanuku

Sanuku Well-Known Member

Offtopic:

Was that a Kick & Ban Request?

Ontopic:

Looking forward for the next Screenshots & Gameplay Trailer.

12. TouchChatterbox

May 21, 2009
    #13 TouchChatterbox, Sep 28, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
    ^ Wow looks fantastic.

13. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    Is this in any way inspired by or similar to Noctis (because of the exploration aspect, and the size of the universe)?

I'd loveto be able to play Noctis on iOS!

14. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    I'd never heard of Noctis before you just mentioned it, oddly enough.

The game is definitely going to be closer to a mix of Privateer and Frontier in tone. You can take on any of a number of roles you wish in order to live your in-game life such as trader, mercenary, pirate or smuggler. There is currently approximately 10,000 stars in-galaxy which span a diameter of 100,000 light years. Lots for anyone to do and see I would hope :)

15. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
  16. kuluman

kuluman Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #17 kuluman, Sep 30, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
    Will you be able to actually land on planets to conduct trade? I thought the 3d rendering of planet surface in Frontier Elite 2 added a lot of character and atmosphere. And will there be aliens? Different factions?

Needless to say I'm excited, and I'll be following this one closely! Good luck!

17. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009
    There will be planetary outposts like in Privateer but moving around on planetary surfaces likely won't be in the game at release. It is something I'd like to add in an update, but right now I'm focusing on making the space travel, trading and combat as good as possible.

There will be different groups in the game yes. As for aliens, let's just say nobody's encountered any yet.

18. gunxsword

gunxsword Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2010
    Sydney
    Let's just say that the X series is coming to the iOS :D

One small annoyance though: the space stations look way too 'conventional' and 'safe'. In other words, they seriously lack originality and that 'wow' factor. It wouldn't hurt to make some crazy designs. In fact, 'craziness' should be encouraged.

Here's a database of all the stations in X3 Reunion. Some of these stations look absolutely MINDBLOWING and MAJESTIC. I'm not saying that every station should look like the ones found in the game, but they do show a lot of creativity and makes space exploration all that more fun.
    http://x3.roguey.co.uk/stations/

19. CGSColin

Jul 21, 2009