Which game genre do you feel the App Store is most lacking in?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Yixian, Jan 17, 2010.

?

Which game genre do you feel the App Store is most lacking in?

1. Action Adventure (Zelda, Metroid etc.)

24 vote(s)
    22.4%
  2. Classic Adventure (point & click eg. Grim Fandango)

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  3. Turn-Based Strategy (Civilisation etc.)

13 vote(s)
    12.1%
  4. RPG (Final Fantasy etc.)

32 vote(s)
    29.9%
  5. Platformer (eg. Mario, Crash, Sonic)

22 vote(s)
    20.6%
  6. First Person Shooter (eg. Halo)

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  7. Beat'em Ups/Fighters (Streets of Rage, Street Fighter etc.)

9 vote(s)
    8.4%
  8. Survival Horror (eg. Silent Hill)

10 vote(s)
    9.3%
  9. RTS (StarCraft etc.)

17 vote(s)
    15.9%
  10. MMO (World of Warcraft etc.)

21 vote(s)
    19.6%
  1. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    #1 Yixian, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    I thought this might be a good way of letting developers know what kind of titles we are after now..

Some game genres have clearly taken off on the App Store while others haven't. I think what determines the current mix of game types on the store at the moment isn't just dependant on what kind of games lend themselves to the touch screen controls but also the perception of what iPhone/iPod Touch gamers want to play and how long they want to play for.

Arcade titles where you can entertain yourself by tapping away for a few minutes are obviously big sellers on any mobile platform, but the iPhone also has more and more "full" game experiences, such a point & click adventures like Beneath a Steel Sky and soon Broken Sword, FPSs like N.O.V.A and RPGs like Zenonia, Ravensword etc.

What sort of games do you feel the platform is currently lacking in?

Personal my vote goes to Action Adventures. I'm talking about longer, story driven action titles, usually with an overworld, and often RPG elements adding depth.

We're obviously talking Zelda, Metroid etc. here.

The way I see it there's still no competition with the Nintendo DS for a popular, polished, story driven and iconic action adventure to rival those franchises.

I know a lot of you have expressed the wish for such a game and I suppose the fact that it's such a difficult kind of game to make and there are so many easier ways to make money on the App Store are why we haven't seen it yet.

EDIT: Adding a list to describe each genre:

Action Adventure - (Zelda, Metroid etc.)
    Action-adventure is a hybrid genre, and thus the definition is very inclusive, leading it to be perhaps the broadest genre of computer and video games. Typically, pure adventure games have situational problems for the player to solve, with very little or no action. If there is action, it is generally confined to isolated minigames. Pure action games have gameplay based on real-time interactions that challenge the reflexes. Therefore, action-adventure games engage both reflexes and problem-solving, in both violent and non-violent situations.

[​IMG]
    Super Metroid

[​IMG]
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass

Classic Adventure - (point & click eg. Grim Fandango)
    An adventure game is a video game in which the player assumes the role of protagonist in an interactive story that is driven by exploration and puzzle-solving instead of physical challenges such as combat. he adventure genre's focus on story allows it to draw heavily from other narrative-based media, such as literature and film. Adventure games encompass a wide variety of literary genres, including fantasy, science fiction, mystery, horror, and comedy.

[​IMG]
    Broken Sword II: The Broken Mirror

[​IMG]
    Grim Fandango

Turn-Based Strategy - (Civilisation etc.)
    A turn-based strategy (TBS) game is a strategy game (usually some type of wargame, especially a strategic-level wargame) where players take turns when playing. This is distinguished from real time strategy where all players play simultanteously.

[​IMG]
    Advance Wars DS

[​IMG]
    Civilisation IV

RPG - (Final Fantasy etc.)
    Generally, the player controls a small number of game characters, usually called a party, and achieves victory by completing a series of quests. Players explore a game world, while solving puzzles and engaging in tactical combat. A key feature of the genre is that characters grow in power and abilities, and characters are typically designed by the player. RPGs rarely challenge a player's physical coordination, with the exception of action role-playing games.

[​IMG]
    Dragon Quest IV (DS)

[​IMG]
    Final Fantasy VI

Platformer - (eg. Mario, Crash, Sonic)
    The platform game (or platformer) is a video game genre characterized by jumping to and from suspended platforms or over obstacles (jumping puzzles). It must be possible to control these jumps and to fall from platforms or miss jumps. Platformers were, at one point, the most popular genre of video game. At the peak of their popularity, it is estimated that between one quarter and one third of console games were platformers.

[​IMG]
    Super Mario World

[​IMG]
    Crash Bandicoot 3

First Person Shooter - (eg. Halo)
    First-person shooter (FPS) is a video game genre which centers the gameplay around gun- and projectile weapon-based combat through the first person perspective; i.e., the player experiences the action through the eyes of a protagonist. Generally speaking, the first-person shooter shares common traits with other shooter games, which in turn fall under the heading action game.

[​IMG]
    Halo

[​IMG]
    Goldeneye

Beat'em Ups/Fighters - (Streets of Rage, Street Fighter etc.)
    Fighting game is a video game genre where the player controls an on-screen character and engages in one-on-one close combat with an opponent. These characters tend to be of equal power and fight matches consisting of several rounds, which take place in an arena. A beat 'em up (also known as brawler) is a video game genre featuring melee combat between the protagonist and large numbers of antagonists. These games typically take place in urban settings and feature crime-fighting and revenge based plots, though some games may employ historical or fantasy themes.

[​IMG]
    Street Fighter 2

[​IMG]
    Streets of Rage

Survival Horror - (eg. Silent Hill)
    Survival horror is a subgenre of action-adventure video game inspired by horror fiction. These games make the player vulnerable by providing them with less ammunition and fewer heavy weapons than other action games. Although combat is a part of the gameplay, the player must ration ammunition by evading enemies and avoiding direct confrontation. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas, and solve puzzles at certain locations. Games make use of strong horror themes, and the player is often challenged to navigate dark maze-like environments, and react to unexpected attacks from enemies.

[​IMG]
    Silent Hill 2

[​IMG]
    Siren (PS3)

RTS - (StarCraft etc.)
    Real-time strategy (RTS) games are a genre of computer wargames which do not progress incrementally in turns. In an RTS, as in other wargames, the participants position and maneuver units and structures under their control to secure areas of the map and/or destroy their opponents' assets. In a typical RTS it is possible to create additional units and structures during the course of a game. This is generally limited by a requirement to expend accumulated resources.

[​IMG]
    StarCraft II

[​IMG]
    WarCraft 3

MMO - (World of Warcraft etc.)
    Massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) is a genre of computer role-playing games in which a very large number of players interact with one another within a virtual game world. As in all RPGs, players assume the role of a fictional character (often in a fantasy world), and take control over many of that character's actions.

[​IMG]
    World of Warcraft

2. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    Ah, we are talking about RPGs... :)

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

hey, tower defense isn't on there! :D

4. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    RPG:

[​IMG]

Action Adventure:

[​IMG]

Whilst RPGs are pretty well represented on the store, it'd be nice to see... and I hate to say it but... something other than the dime-a-dozen identikit korean RPGs that make up about 90% of the offerings. Maybe Sakaguchi can help remedy that? xD

Still though as far as I can tell there's essentially nothing to rival Zelda on the platform, at all..

5. Balu`

Balu` Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2009
    Hungary
    RPGs, MMOs (is there even one?) and TBS.

6. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

zelda is actually best described as dungeon crawler

7. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    Haha the biggest poll you can make is 10 so I had to exclude tower defence, rhythm games and physics puzzlers xD

8. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

aw man! i'da voted for all three! we need more physics puzzlers especially!

9. WunDaii

WunDaii Well-Known Member

I'd say... Platformers.

10. mattll

mattll Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2009
    bavaria
    i voted for action adventure
    cos there is no game similiar to zelda

11. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    Don't worry dude they're coming whether we vote for em or not!

12. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

platformers are really poorly represented, though i can say two excellent ones off the top of my head- soosiz and chop chop ninja. any platfoming lover will have those two on their idevice

yay!

13. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    I really don't understand why there aren't many action adventure titles on the App Store. I mean imo the iPhone is pretty well suited to the genre.

[​IMG]

The iPhone is far more graphically competent than the DS as is obvious above, so there's no issue producing one in either 2D or the 3D.

And I don't think controls are much of an issue, a touchscreen can use the same control scheme as something like Diablo, ie. character walks to your finger.

But there's no question about the workload, an action adventure has to have the scale and plot of an RPG with the gameplay of an action title - titles like Zelda even on handhelds take well over a year to develop.

But we're well over a year in by now..

14. Vovin

Vovin 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Nov 28, 2009
    Germany
    I think, RPGs are more difficult to develop. You need more resscouces, more time, a good story idea compared to other apps. That's why there are so few RPGs.

15. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    Especially if you subtract RPGs not made specifically for the iPhone. You can exclude about 75% of App Store RPGs as identikit Korean RPGs that are ported to almost any platform within about 2 days of release lmao.

16. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I want stuff like tomb raider and uncharted. I suppose that comes under adventure?
    Also more FPS but in modernday, not sci fi. Games like James bond and less about war!

17. enuhski

enuhski Well-Known Member

Oct 25, 2009
    not enough time management games!

18. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

you love time management games?

ohhh......:p

19. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    Tomb Raider and Uncharted both textbook action adventures!

3D tomb raiding might be tricky with the iPhones controls, unles sit was done from a birds eye view, but 2D would work well - then yuo're talking about something like Metroid.

Although there were some 2D Tomb Raider titles for GBC, they skimped a bit on story but as I remember they were pretty good..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Yixian

Yixian Well-Known Member

May 12, 2009
    Medical Student
    Europe
    [​IMG]

I can't think of a single iPhone game that even tries to be anything like this ^ It's the most under-represented genre on the App Store I reckon.