You know what really grinds my gears?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by iJoe, Jul 22, 2010.

1. iJoe

iJoe Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    #1 iJoe, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    I'm sure all of you have felt this way. Whenever there's a released app, either it be a game or other entertainment purposes, you expect updates on it. As there's nothing more exciting than going in the App Store to find one of your favorite apps has an update that improves the performance/adds content and such.

But if there is ONE thing I really really hate, it's developers not updating the app itself but only adding 'retina display.' Yes, we get it, iPhone 4 is out, however please don't ignore all the requests to fix bugs/crashes. And then have the audacity to improve something so minor just so it looks 'prettier' on the new phones.

I know this grinds your gears too. You see your favorite game that was released at launch or even a couple weeks ago. And it had problems, it was slow/laggy, crashed when you reached a certain level, or just needed extra content to make you fall in love with it all over again. So you wander into the app store like normal looking for other apps when lo and behold. Your Updates section has the number: 1 by it. You tap it to find out, WOW! Space Zombies from Mars is finally getting that update it deserved! Maybe the developers listened and improved gameplay and made it run faster? Or maybe even added additional characters/levels?! Oh I can't wait to see what it is...

Wait, what? 'Added support for 'Retina display.' Mother ******!!!!
    So to all you developers out there. Please don't neglect those who bought your apps. If you're going to update the app to cater to iphone 4 users, at least add content that your fans requested, cause when you don't, it just really grinds my gears...

2. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

Check reviews before buying and only purchase apps/games you feel are complete and work the way you want them to at that time. Between TouchArcade, the forums here, and the myriad of other similar review sites and communities there's pretty much no excuse for being ignorant to whether or not a game sucks before buying it. Furthermore, for a lot of games, adding Retina Display support can be a quick fix, especially if they're 3D. Adding more content is tons more work, and unless the game is selling well, there's pretty much no incentive for developers to keep producing new content when they can move on to a new (and hopefully more profitable) project.

It's just the fact of life in the hit-driven economy of the App Store. When you release a game for a buck, and only sell a couple hundred units, it's hard to rationalize spending the time improving it.

3. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Alright Peter Griffin.

4. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
  5. sid187

sid187 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    yeah thats all sounds good till apple comes out with a update that breaks all the software that worked.. you know bought before the update!

heh
    chris.

6. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
  7. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    Hahahaha! Someone is on the same page as me.

8. funkynubman

funkynubman Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2009
    News Reporter/ Superhero
    Right. Behind. You.
    Wow, you are really spoiled. Just because a developer doesn't spend their time updating your favorite game because you want tons of new free content and goodies and everything you fantasize about, doesn't mean they can't at least perfect the game with the latest and best graphics on an iPhone yet. Because you expect people to cater to your every little video game update wish, you won't accept any update to a game besides "a whole new map!" or "more characters!" or "new weapons and zombies and ninjas!"

9. dumbname

dumbname Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2009
    You know what really grinds MY gears

People who reference family guy and fail to deliver the same level of comedy. Especially when it is so obvious they try to be funny. Man, this thread was a bigger letdown than LeBron leaving the Cavs to join the Heat

10. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Other gears? You sure are pessimistic. When I have free wifi somewhere, I just download all the unimportant updates then.

11. MikeV

MikeV Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2009
    sub-contracting
    VT
    hahah no

12. bmn02102

bmn02102 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    #12 bmn02102, Jul 22, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
    This annoys me too, but not for the same reason. The problem with "retina display" updates is that the high definition graphics are included in the application files installed on your device whether or not your device is actually compatible with them. What does this mean? It means a completely needless filesize increase of several MB for all users who aren't using an iPhone 4.

32GB isn't actually all that much storage, and I know I'm not the only one who's constantly managing my stuff to keep it within the limit. While small increases in size like this may not seem like all that much, they really add up.
    Let's say you have 150 games on your iPhone, and they all release "retina display" updates in the next month, each of which raises the app size by 5MB (a conservative estimate - it's closer to 50MB for games such as NOVA, and even Paper Toss doubled in size to almost 18MB). That's 750 megabytes gone in a single update cycle, blown on space for files that your phone can't even display.

I'm always hovering at 200-400MB of free space, and I'm having to be careful what updates I download because of this (well, that and the morons who mark their app as "iOS 4 only" after a multitasking update, even though there's nothing that would prevent the app itself from working in 3.1.3...I swear there's a special place in hell reserved for those guys).

The problem is that I can't think of much that devs could do about this, since there's no way that I know of to specify directories to install/not install according to OS version. Maybe the best solution would be to have the app automatically identify the type of device it's running on when it's first run, and delete the HD content if it isn't an iPhone 4.

13. iJoe

iJoe Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2010
    That's right! If companies try to release an app and KNOW it's buggy and refuse to release an update, they figure, 'forget it, we'll just release a different app and make money off of that.'

Problem is that nobody will take their company seriously. Consumers will suspect that once a game is released it will never see an update. See if you read my post I mentioned also BUGS and CRASHES. A lot of games I have are buggy and no longer exist on my ipad. And as such have a list of companies that I don't ever buy a product from ever again. It's not about giving me free things, just giving me the game I payed for. :cool:

14. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    LOL! You just said "Comedy" & "Family Guy" in the same sentence. :p

AMERICAN DAD FTW!

15. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

It only irritates me if it's a big time company and not an indie dev. Big time companies have people and resources, but don't update most of the time. (Good) Indie devs have less people and resources, but they usually update.

16. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    I fixed it.

17. Somerandomdude

Somerandomdude Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Doing nothing of importance.
    Somewhere
    Indie devs often make a game to be the best it can be. If that requires an update, then so beit. As long as they can get the game the way that they think would be best, they'll work toward it to the best of their abilities. Big companies, on the other hand, make games, see how they do, then move onto the next project, almost never looking back.

18. RttaM

RttaM Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Heh. I approve. :p

19. sammysin

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    You know what grinds my gears? Being cold and eating cold fruit while I'm being cold, which in turn makes me colder. :rolleyes:

20. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Lack of oil makes me grind my gears. :(