iPad [Pulled] Dead Space - (by EA)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by ImNoSuperMan, Jan 24, 2011.

1. iPodTouchMan15

iPodTouchMan15 Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Ok well then I know nothing about journalism. Lol. But I think they should say "Read the reviews to decide for yourself." Becuase some people just listen to the TA reviewers, and don't bother looking at the game. I also think that the guy who wrote the Infinity Blade article should've written this one. All he did was applaud it.

2. Brad Nicholson

Brad Nicholson 💪 <strong>Eli Sucks</strong> 💪

Dec 1, 2010
    I think I kind of get what you're trying to say here: you want like a meta look at what all the critics are saying? I'm not sure if there's an App Store-specific site like Metacritic, but in case there isn't you should simply take a sample of every site's scores the next time you make a purchasing decision. It's not our fault that you failed to do so.

As for purely applauding a game... I don't think I've ever done that. Every game has a flaw or two, including "Mass Effect 2," which I rewarded a 10 out of 10 for back last January. Again, I think it's vital that I point out everything that it is appropriate in a review and if one of those things is a broken mechanic, then so be it.

3. Cilo

Cilo Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    #583 Cilo, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    Thats implied. Thats like McDonalds selling burger wrappers that say "Eat whats inside, then throw this away when youre done."

Youre confusing the difference between something that holds fact like a research site, or a dictionary, versus something that is subjective to an opinion such as a blog site like TA. You do realize this is a blog right? It just so happens to house some of the best articles pertaining to iOS gaming. The writers here are regular people like me and you, and deserve respect like any other human being.

We disagreed with their review of Lara Croft, and so what? So that didnt give us as members the right to be asses. They held to their opinion, we held to ours and created a discussion in the thread. Thats how a forum works.

Dont feel like whats on the front page to be something set in stone. Members here are very active and if there is a majority consensus it will be noticed in threads, through communication. Rants will usually get the flame treatment.

4. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    holy hell man! you sound nuts, its only a game, relax....take a step back and run away from your ipod/iphone/ipad cuz its turning you loco. and i agree with the review, the controls arent the best, gamelofts are better in most cases, the game does have faults and it is in nooooooooo way the best game on the iOS platform. not even close. boo

5. rocketshark

rocketshark Member

Nov 19, 2009
    [​IMG]
    is this old news?

6. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    It's close, but not as close as others. It definitely is one of the best games on the appstore, let me say that again, ONE of the best.

7. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    I think that EA should allow multiple purchases of the DLC. It will definitely increase profits and it's annoying only being able to purchase 32 nodes. Hmph.

8. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

There is!

http://iphone.qualityindex.com/

9. Java

Java Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2010
    United States
    You have failed so hard, that Eli Hodapp has tweeted about you. Congratulations on reaching a level of failure that Mel Gibson has yet to reach.

http://twitter.com/hodapp/status/30373687848865792

10. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    i dun liek u :(

Saw Brad's post and was all "OMG QUALITY INDEX LEMME POST PLS" and was hoping no one mentioned it...and lo and behold; I saw your post. I am disappoint.

>_> I'll show myself out now.

11. INCyr

INCyr Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Man, finally finished it at just under 4:30. Man, what a ride - I can't wait to do it again! Looking forward to running through with a New Game+ - I might even look into some of the DLC bonuses you can get. Anyone know if they are only good for a single game, or if you can use them in any/all saved games on your phone? (Not the nodes, but the credit/damage/armor+ ones - I think I'm good without buying nodes. Maybe if/when i try the hard version of the game.)

Hrm, maybe now I'll see about picking up Infinity Blade. Does it really compare to this though? Or will I just be disappointed after the excellence that is this game?

12. helmania

helmania Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    Fair review posted

What's up touchArcaders?

Yours truly here :D Just wanted to alert all of you of my fair review of Dead Space in the user review section. Go check it out now if you haven't got the game yet and would like to know the real deal before you pull the trigger.

As most of you know, I tell it like it is and I did not hold back on Dead Space either, so you know you can trust my review to help you make a decisive and educated decision whether to purchase or not. :rolleyes:

Stay :cool: like me!

13. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    Some arse has put a review on the App Store which, I won't repeat here, but said the "game was cool" until the end when he found out something about the lead character.

If it's true, and he ruined the ending ... what an idiot.

14. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    #594 arta, Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
    The control mechanics are exactly the same as Gameloft's (adjustable) virtual stick and screen swipe. The only difference is that they are invisible, (remember Caster?)

If anything, your left thumb blocks more of the screen in Dead Space because the "swipe up to run" function makes you block more of the screen as opposed to keeping it on a virtual analog stick in the bottom left corner. It's a little less disciplined in other words. But since your focus os on the center of the screen, that's not such a big problem.

The real hangup is merely sensitivity issues. I suppose EA thought that turning slowly (whether by swiping the screen or double tapping your character) would be in tune with the game's slower pace. The problem is in a horror game when you spot or hear a monster, your first reaction is to jerk towards it to know where it is and then shoot/ flee. Trying to do that in this game makes the character react slower than you want, which is a little frustrating. Also, changing weapons needs to be faster (a simple swipe to change would suffice).

It's interesting to me that while EA's definitely made a new standard for traditional gaming on the iDevice, all their bluster about "controls that take advantage of the platform" really amount to turning the transparency on virtual buttons up to 100%. On the other hand, it does reinforce that these traditional controls do in fact work well on the device, give or take a few developer idiosyncrasies.

I really want to see EA and Gameloft go at it this year. :)

15. Sepharite

Sepharite Well-Known Member

May 13, 2010
    Man it gets really annoying when my Ipod heats up, and the controls start to chug slowly. Really weird...

16. adamphetamine

adamphetamine Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Programmer/3D Modeling
    Bethlehem, Pa
    What generation?

17. iNexus

iNexus Well-Known Member

Aug 14, 2010
    The Great White North
    its too short, finished game just under 3 hr on normal starting speed run now

18. Orlandosan

Orlandosan Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2010
    College Student
    Somewhere in the US
    Dead space unlock has been confirmed!

Yeah everyone is dyin to know what the second unlock is, u basically have to find it in the iPhone version of DS, EA forum user said its like an audio log Thingy. Upon finding it u receive a code for a hacker suit.

19. leslie2233

leslie2233 Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2010
    Mass Effect now EA, please.

I'm waiting to play this game, just downloaded it but I can't play my iPod except for Saturday's & Sundays, I've seen videos so i know its good. All i want from EA now is to be this dedicated & make a mass effect game this good with unreal engine because mass effect used unreal engine. If they can pull that off I will love EA more than Gameloft.

20. Jongjungbu

Jongjungbu Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2011
    Weird request directing it at EA. Kind of leftfield. Mass Effect was from Bioware + Microsoft Game Studios. Not sure EA has that kind of experience with that type of game. They made this game because they published the Dead Space series. If you are focused purely on the Unreal Engine, beg Chair or Trendy who use the engine or Epic Games directly since they ported their Unreal Engine to iOS.;)