Universal Virtua Tennis Challenge (By Sega)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by killercow, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hassasin

Hassasin Active Member

Apr 23, 2012
    Played this in amusement arcade!, love this game and Smashing the buy button!!

2. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    Even after a fresh reboot? If so, I'll hold off.

3. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    How willing are you to put up with poor frame rate and to what extent has it affected your enjoyment of games in the past? I'm very much a fan of this "franchise," and have played it on various consoles in the past; the game itself is solid, but for mine, I know I won't enjoy it in its current state. If I could get my five bucks back and throw it on the wish list pending an update, I very much would. It's likely to drop in price by then too. Of course, there's no guarantee a fix will ever eventuate.

Then again, I know some people have been able to enjoy games in the past despite frame rates that I found to be unacceptable. I don't seem to be the only one with the issue in this instance though.

Bottom line currently: good game, bad framerate. Your choice.

4. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Yes. Even after clearing the task bar and a complete reset.

5. AppleFan12

AppleFan12 Well-Known Member

Apr 25, 2012
    USA
    Who has played on the iPad 3? Is it laggy on a reboot too?

6. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    With N.O.V.A. 3 and Sonic 4: Episode II, it's becoming quite apparent that things aren't looking up for the iPhone 4 anymore. It's not that I enjoy the games in their state on my phone, but I don't really have a choice anymore. I want to play those games. It's the same case here. I guess I'm willing to take a chance with VT because... well, it's Virtua Tennis. Been playing them since the first was released on Dreamcast.

7. Gabrien

Nov 24, 2009
    Sounds like you should just grab it and give it a shot then. :)

8. miumius

miumius Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2011
    #68 miumius, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    The game is very good... the graphics are pretty good and the modes (yes there is online multiplayer) are great. I like how it has the feel of a console game... and not a cheap iOS game. My only complaints:

The framerate... lag starts to kick in on the 4S after some 15 minutes of gameplay and the lag is pretty bad online. I'm pretty sure this can be fixed with an update though. Interestingly, the game is still kinda playable.

Camera modes... both Dynamic and TV are way to far behind the player (especially dynamic); it would be much better if there was an option to choose how far the camera is from the player like in the PS Vita version.

Nevertheless it's a great game. I never really cared for it on consoles (Top Spin is more realistic) but for an iPhone game, it's the best tennis app out there. I encourage everyone to get this and I hope SEGA continues to support this game with bug fixes (framerate) and improvements :)

P.S. If you can't figure out the swipe controls I find the gamepad control scheme is the best. The game controls pretty well.

9. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Hmmm... *scratches beard* I guess so, yeah? :p

10. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    allright...i bought it.
    it looks and plays great. I'm impressed by the quality of the graphics and animation. Very fluid on 4S. Console-style title. Best tennis on iPhone hands-down.

BUT, no in-game saving.

How I'm I supposed to play this if I can't play a game in different sessions, it's a mobile device! I know you can close the app and it freeze in multitasking mode, but other games (like NBA 2k for ex..) after a while they reset and you loose all you progress. Is it that hard to implement a "save & exit" option that keep tracks of your score and let's you resume at a later time??

11. VonWillebrand

VonWillebrand Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2010
    Europe
    I can confirm the game runs great on a 4S. Obviously people have different criteria for what is an acceptable frame rate but that doesn't seem to explain it as I really don't see any slowdowns. I wonder why it would run worse on an iPad 2.

12. Surfheart

Surfheart Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Australia

Wow so it does it on the iPad 2? It's a weird kind of framerate issue, it only seems to occur when you are moving your player.

13. JosephmWood

JosephmWood Member

May 30, 2008
    Very solid game, feels like a console game but definitely framerate issues. Don't like the swipe gestures. The gamepad is much better. I'm sure there will be an update to fix the framerate issue. Got framerate issues on iPhone 4 and iPad 2.

14. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Yeah... while the gameplay is just as great as it's always been on consoles, there's gotta be a framerate issue. N.O.V.A. 3, Infinity Blade II, Sonic 4, you name it... they all run better than this. I can honestly say that I've never EVER seen something run so bad on an iPhone 4. The funny thing is the game is still entirely playable. >_>

I don't know... this can't be right. There has to be problem here. I'm hoping something gets sorted out.

15. chespace

chespace Well-Known Member

Aug 20, 2009
    Played this tonight on both my 4S and iPad "new".

Amazing game. I actually like it more with touch controls.

Not seeing much of any framerate issues Gabrien is complaining about, although there are little hitches here or there. Not even close to show stopper lags.

Also looks great on retina. So glad Virtua Tennis is now in my pocket.

16. MrGreed

MrGreed Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    So lets see:
    Poor framerate on a 4s and Ipad 2
    Poor save options

No thanks.

This looks like a half-aassed port from Sega and thats a shame was looking forward to this after the disappointment i received from the new mario tennis for the 3ds

17. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    The only problem is save option (no framerate issue on my 4S and game is great and worthy 4.99).

See.. the point is that developers should also think a little sometimes. Soccer, football, basketball....they all have timed matches. A Tennis match can last forever. So if NFL, NBA, Fifa can save during a match which lasts a few minutes, WHY, TELL ME..a tennis game can't save?
    Doesn't make sense to me

18. And_75

And_75 Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    L.A.
    #78 And_75, May 24, 2012
    Last edited: May 24, 2012
    ok, it's even worst than I thought. READ CAREFULLY:

not only it doesn't save during a game, but in career mode, if you start a match and then quit to the main menu it is like you forfeit the whole tournament!!!! so not only you have to finish a match, but the entire tournament!! this is ridiculous.

this is what I did:
    - played and won ACAPULCO (which btw took about 40 minutes for 2 matches as I went to tie break in 2 sets)
    - got the rewards
    - paid to participate in CAIRO
    - started 1st match of the CAIRO tournament. Played the 1st game of the match. Then paused, quit to main menu.......(i thought that worst case I just had to restart the current match)

WRONG....the screen said that I was eliminated in the quarter finals and got a little reward. Tournament over. Now I have to restart the whole career....because I don't even have the money to re-participate in CAIRO.

19. m101101

m101101 New Member

May 8, 2012
    I would give it a try later

20. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Something definitely not right here. If my USB cable disconnects (which is somewhat of a regular ****ing occurrence now) while I'm playing the game, it starts to chug like no tomorrow. Could this be a memory leak?