Skyriders (by the programmer of Little Acorns)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by bluescrn, Jul 24, 2012.

1. bluescrn

bluescrn Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    Indie Game Developer
    #1 bluescrn, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    UPDATED 02 Oct 2012! - New video, new screenshots, it's almost here!

This is the 2nd iOS project from me, the programmer behind Little Acorns:

Inspired by classic games of the past, such as Trailblazer, Sky Roads, and STUN Runner, Skyriders is a high-speed mix of platforming and racing!

Navigate progressively trickier tracks, whilst trying to maintain your boost streak for big scores - which requires careful flipping between yellow and red, to grab the matching colour stars!

On iOS and Android, the game can be controlled by a choice of either tilt steering, or two on-screen button layouts. Also supports the iCade Mobile controller.

The game features 40 stages over 5 varied zones. The last stage of each zone is an extra-long 'Challenge Stage' - where you must try and get through the entire zone - joined up into one long stage - in one go - giving an opportunity for massive scores for skilled players!

Game Center achievments and leaderboards are included on iOS (Swarm achievements/leaderboards on Android)

The game runs at a super-smooth 60fps on newer devices, with antialiasing too on iPad2/iPhone4S and above.

It's also got a Greenlight page, as I'm considering a PC release too: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92916662

Estimated release date: Sept 2012
    Universal App, requires iPhone 3GS or above (iPhone 4+ or iPad 2+ recommended)
    Android release requires Android 2.3+

Code/Art/Design: Dave Reed (@bluescrn, www.inverseblue.com)
    Music: Dustin Kulwicki (@kwix29, www.kwixmusic.com)

And some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks great ! Was just about to mention Trailblazer when i saw you already did.

Thankyou for adding alternative controls , keeps me totally happy ! Really looking forward to this (And by the way Little Acorns is brilliant)

Roll on September !

3. bluescrn

Dec 1, 2011
    Indie Game Developer
    After a short delay trying to get the Android build into a decent state, the game is making decent progress again, the priorities now are building more levels, retexturing Zone 2-5, and adding a few more obstacles...

Here's a work-in-progress shot from Zone 2: Emerald Nebula

[​IMG]

(Full size: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19400176/Skyriders_EmeraldNebula.png)

It's also gained some basic support for the iCade Mobile.

4. Jack111

Jack111 Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Holland
    Just watched the vid but it looks kinda slow

5. aeranth

aeranth Well-Known Member

May 8, 2012
    I loved Little Acorns, great job on that. I'm also really liking what I'm seeing here. I appreciate the different approaches between the two. I will be keeping an eye out for this one.

6. bluescrn

Dec 1, 2011
    Indie Game Developer
    It should feel a bit faster when it's finished. The player is actually moving fairly fast - but as the camera is quite high, and the field-of-view is fairly low in that video, there's not much sensation of speed. It's on my list of things to tweak, hopefully it'll look a bit better in the next video...

It doesn't help that YouTube can't do 60fps videos, though!

And of course, the levels will get quite a bit harder :)

7. bluescrn

Dec 1, 2011
    Indie Game Developer
    #8 bluescrn, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    (Removed old video)

8. bluescrn

Dec 1, 2011
    Indie Game Developer
    Big update - Added the trailer video and new screenshots to the first post! (Please ignore the other screenshots/video, they're rather outdated now)

The game is finished, but could still be a few weeks from release. I'm waiting for Marmalade to update their SDK to support iOS6/iPhone5, so I can't support 1136x640 yet. And once that's updated, it's still got to go through Apple submission.

Undecided about whether to wait, or to release a v1.0 without that support.

9. ironsam80

ironsam80 Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    You can release it and write on the app description that iPhone 5 support is coming soon.
    The latest video really rocks!

10. tso5818

tso5818 Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    iANiMeX's left ear
    This looks awesome. When it is released, I will buy it ASAP!!!!.

Think about making Multiplayer for this game? Looks like it could go good with this game. Here is a PC game that has similar tracks. You get to go against real players, but they have ghost cars, so they don't crash you and ruin your fastest run time. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zT5zmMN0D4&feature=related