Universal Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition - (by Beamdog)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    More first impressions on the game! Less talk about apple maps...please

How does the graphics/animations look? Obviously it's an old game and I rather not spoil the perfect image in my head since I played it on PC back in the days.
    Tho...cross platform multiplayer sounds bloody awesome! Hopefully the Mac-version will be out soon.

Anyone with iPad mini or iPad 3 that has a comment about performance? I wish I could download it over 3G. Totally worth the 45min download if apple/operators allowed it :)

2. tarasis

tarasis Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2011
    I'm curious about that myself. As i understand it the actual game assets are the PC ones, they don't have the original art/animation masters so they couldn't produce higher res versions of them.

3. Greyskull

Greyskull Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Photographer/Social Sciences adjunct/sweet sweet l
    Fort Lauderdale
    Pause->order->unpause->execute was the reason I could never get into this game; same with later Bioware titles like KOTOR. That plus the uneven action lengths (some actions might take 1 turn, others 2 1/2, etc). I DID love Planescape:Torment, which used the same system. That game was, generally speaking, not a party-based rpg, though.

Did Might and Magic 6 come out before Baldur's Gate? I think it did. It had the same system, though every action took the same amount of time.

4. WakeOfPoseidon

WakeOfPoseidon Well-Known Member

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I'm still in the process of downloading the game (may take a while), but can anyone confirm that there is multiplayer via gamecenter? In their marketing materials, they have this line item:

I ask because I didn't see the Gamecenter icon in the description when I clicked to download the game. So I'm concerned that they may have taken the multiplayer portion out.

Thanks!

5. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    *Starts clearing space* I'm sure it'll be we'll worth it. :D

6. Psiufoxx

Psiufoxx Well-Known Member

May 25, 2011
    sustainability consulting
    paris (yeah, the one in france)
    #46 Psiufoxx, Dec 7, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
    Confirmed at 1.9gb with all IAP.

I have a feeling the IAP is already installed in the initial download, and you are just paying to 'access' or 'activate' it. I didn't have to wait for any secondary downloads when I threw 9 more bucks at them.

So far the game is great, even with its "weird to get used to" touch controls and 2-second touch tooltips. Oh, and a big ol' bug: don't home-screen click out of the game without saving, unless you want to lose your progress when you re-enter to a black screen :(

7. madman73

madman73 Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2010
    advertising creative director
    Manila, Philippines
    Played it for about a couple of hours on my iPad 3.

So far it's pretty cool, but with a few problems...

- Entering buildings is a bit tricky. Sometimes you open doors and walk in and nothing happens. The trick I did was to just go in and out and eventually the inside area would load. Hope that would be fixed.

- Is it really intended that you encounter instant death attacks so early? On the road to the Friendly Arm Inn, the group gets ambushed by bandits, and you simply cannot win. Yeah, it's a random encounter but damn... talk about totally throwing you to the sharks.

Otherwise, it's going fine. Slowly but surely. Yeah, it's fun, and I'll take these little quirks handily.

8. WakeOfPoseidon

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    Just finished downloading and looks like there is in fact no GameCenter support. I've just started messing with it, so does that mean no multiplayer support also? Maybe someone more familiar with their development trajectory knows more, but that is disappointing if that part was cut out.

9. jaze

jaze Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Seen on the Devs twitter just now, Looks like it could be updated for you ipad1 -ers

"Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster
    The version that just passed approvals is limited to iOS6. We still have to work on the iOS5.1 iPad1 support and will update its when solid."

10. Wizard_Mike

Wizard_Mike Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Texas
    Feeling the hurt!

Still stuck on my iPad 1, so no BG:EE for me until next spring (unless my tax return gets siphoned into yet another emergency bill).

Still being on the original iPad has had its bummer moments this year, but man I am really feeling the hurt today. It's actually a good thing for me, though, because I have an early final this Monday and I know there's know way in hell I would have studied this weekend if I was able to play this...

Gotta find that silver lining! :D

11. Wemac

Wemac Well-Known Member

May 24, 2011
    Game Reviewer
    More impressions from people who's not using ancient hardware from three years ago and old software please... Is the gfx OK? Does touch controls work OK? Is it still fun to play? Anyone tried multiplayer?

12. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, that was pretty obvious, which makes the childish tantrums (far more vitriolic over on the official forums than they are here) from people calling Overhaul liars even more bizarre, as if the developers had announced that they had decided to abandon their plans for first-gen iPad support entirely.

It was clear that the developers had to choose to either release no game for anybody until everything worked on the first-gen iPad - and possibly miss the Christmas sales period entirely with the app store lockout - or release a version of the game that works for people with second-gen devices or newer, and patch in compatibility for the first-gen iPad later on.

You would have to be exceedingly unreasonable to disagree that they made the right call under those circumstances. Sure, it would have been great if they'd managed to sort out a solution to the memory issues on the first-gen iPad, but that's not the situation they found themselves in.

13. pjft

pjft Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2011
    This.

I have an iOS5.1 non-JB iPad 3, and I will patiently wait for the iOS 6 version. The last time I upgraded my iPad, it just tool too much time to get everything set up again as it previously was, so I'm happy that they're still planning on bringing it to iOS 5.1 .

14. the9quad

the9quad Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2011
    Jailbroke ipad2 here, don't mind waiting until either a untethered jailbreak or they get this working on older iOS. So happy they brought this to iPads I can be patient, and I don't blame the devs for ios6 only, I think it is a smart move. Face it game sales are crazy at launch then Peter out over time if they can prevent piracy during this period they will get more sales which means more money to bring BGII, IWD,IWDII, and planescape over, it's a win win if your patient.

15. krautboy

krautboy Well-Known Member

Apr 20, 2011
    #55 krautboy, Dec 7, 2012
    Some quick impressions from playing on Ipad 3th gen:

No retina

Performance- i never played it before so it's hard to say for me. If you've played a spiderweb game (avadon,avernum) that's a good indication of what to expect.

I'm experiencing a multitask bug where as i return to the game the whole interface is gone black. Only option is to close and restart which is quite tedious.

Again,i've never played it before so i've just been through the tutorial and maybe 15 minutes in the game.

On a side note for people still on ios 5, the ipad youtube app came out yesterday.

16. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    The multiplayer was never going to be based on gamecenter anyway..since the plan is to have cross platform multiplayer! Currently the multiplayer on PC is very eh...bare bones, there are plans to set up a proper beamdog server for it.

17. WakeOfPoseidon

Jan 26, 2011
    Engineer
    I see - I was just going by their iPad Website that specifically mentioned "Multiplayer and Progress Tracking of your Friends" via GameCenter, so I had assumed that it was going to "ship" with some sort of multiplayer and achievement system intact.

http://www.baldursgate.com/ipad.en.html

But if they're looking at a cross platform solution, that's cool too.

18. kozz84

kozz84 Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2012
    #58 kozz84, Dec 7, 2012
    As and rpg veteran (played all of the infinity engine games; Baldurs gate, icewind dale, planescape back in the day) I can say this version is ok. It nice to play this classic comfortably on the couch. They transition to ios is good, mostly because the controls fits well the touch interface. You don't loose anything while playing on the ipad and it doesn't feel clunky. I'm playing on the ipad 4 and the visuals are nice (if you are not into graphixxx). The original material was 2d sprites so in general this type of games age better compared to 3d polygon games. You can pinch to zoom the map and obviously when you zoom into maximum it looks like shit, but when to zoom out it looks great and sharp. Performance perfect and no crashes so far.

For newcomers a brief warning. This game is a bit hardcore judging by todays standards. It is a rpg not an action rpg. A lot of systems, a lot of reading (!), difficult, slow paced... I spent an hour creating my character for gods sake, so if you don't have a lot of patience or you grew up playing Call of Duty avoid this game at all costs.

Going back to the touch controls, there is one thing that is shit. 99% its good, but when you have to pick up a very small object (like a dagger or a diamond) when you loot it can be a bitch to pick it up. It's just too small and you don't have pixel perfect controls like you had with a mouse. Without any spoilers on the second map in the tree trunk theres a hidden diamond. Picking it up was not so easy. I had to click 30 times before I picked it up. It's so small you can't hit the item!!!

All in all I'm enjoying this game and I can wait for Plancescape Torment enhanced.

19. r618

r618 New Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Thanks for the info; it looks more stable than PC version
    If PST comes out I'm buying whatever new iPad will be new by then

20. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    how is the interface on retina? Trent Oster said they werent scaling it, but they did have some sort of filter they were applying on top to soften things.