iPad Lost Cities - (by TheCodingMonkeys)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Aug 22, 2012.

1. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    Lol..yeah..the 2 games I tried online against the same person..both of us were on our idevices at the same time. Each turn took 10-20 seconds.. Felt like we were just playing the game live. ;)

2. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    When I get in a live game it's great. The problem is that with randoms you never know what their intent is. Playing it in one sitting, or over time. So having a timers option like in Playdek's games (except Food Fight, their game that most needs timers, inexplicably missing it?) makes it easy to get in live games or, conversely, async games, depending on what you want.

3. jerseydvd

jerseydvd Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    When I can run it natively on my pad I'll buy it. On my list for now

4. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    Each card played in Food Fight needs interaction from the opponent so the timers wouldn't mean a whole lot. If i had the right cards I could purposely drain your timer by forcing you to interact the with the game more often. If you couldn't immediately respond to the push notification I'd get a time advantage of several minutes.

Heck, if I knew we were in opposite time zones I could purposely play moves late at night your time and when games by forfeit

5. LukeT

LukeT Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2012
    Game Impressions

Really fun game, never played it before but loving it till now.
    Having some issues with multiplayer... Tried to play with my wife, each one of us with an iPad, but when any of us make an invite the other didnt receive it... Just appear when the game starts, after each play theres a lag of about half a minute before the other can play, not fun to play in the same room. Would love to have the option for a local multiplayer game like in Carcassone. Other issue is that after each play Im getting a msg by Gamecenter in my iPhone (not the iPad where Im playing) to play the neXt round.

6. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    Food Fight: the soul purpose I'd have for timers is to have live games, so that manipulation wouldn't be a factor. Food Food is absolutely dreadful played any other way. Async is terrible for it.

Regarding this game, which I like a lot, the people claiming that this game is "beautiful" at 2X on an iPad must be playing a different game from me. I finally tried it on my iPad 2 and it's just as pixelated as any other game at 2x. Not to mention that it's portrait. So, yes, we need an iPad native/universal version. What's worse is that because this game uses game center, even if I don't have it installed in the iPad it still gets flooded with notifications. :(

7. tops2

tops2 Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2011
    @crunc: For what its worth..I'm on the ipad3.. And from what I understand, the ipad3 tries to use retina version of iphone apps..so thats probably why it looks sharper for people with the ipad3?

8. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #168 mkaen, Aug 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

9. soldat7

soldat7 Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Many here hold multiple degrees and have very important jobs that make the world a better place. That's covered. People can and should remain critical of products that they want to purchase or have purchased. Pretty much everyone here is a consumer and an enthusiast; we should give praise where praise is due and be critical when the situation calls for it. If you don't voice your opinion then you give up your position to make change happen.

10. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Thank you for that... I personally find an overwhelming majority of games do not look at all great in 2X zoom much less unnoticeable so I am glad to read a less rose-tinted new game smell opinion! It may be okay for some but it is intolerable for me... Thank you!

Thank you as well, as this may explain why some may find it to look good and fairly unnoticeable. As an IPad 3 owner myself, this opinion would make me waver in my stance of waiting out a universal or iPad version. I have seen a few games that had the same effect and they did look good and the loss was far less noticable in 2X zoom for those few games. I may take the plunge afterall with word like this if I hear the same from some other iPad 3 owners. Oh, and thank you!

11. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Well said, and totally concur! I can confidently raise my hand to fit that profile with that same criteria of precedence!

12. lookmanohands

lookmanohands Active Member

Jul 14, 2009
    Dumb question, but are Game Center notifications turned on on your iPad? :) Seems strange because if you're using the same Apple account on both the iPad and phone they should both be flooded with notifications (one of the downsides of using GC for async games). And a 30 second lag seems long. I was just playing someone online and we were going back and forth quite fast. Sometimes it was my turn again in less than half a minute.

Still, I agree. All these complaints about the game not being universal, while valid, is missing the game's true biggest flaw: no local multiplayer.

Eh, anyway you play Food Fight it will be terrible:) Glad I only paid $1 because despite Playdek's great work, the underlining game just doesn't seem any good. But I also did think Lost Cities could use timers for its games...

Does anyone know if currently Lost Cities games ever time out? How long before a game is forfeited?

I don't have an iPad 3, but I saw LC playing on a friend's iPad3 and it definitely looks better/sharper. But take that for what it's worth because I'm ok with its blockiness on an iPad 2. :)

13. drloony

drloony Well-Known Member

Jul 19, 2012
    I'm normally the person who doesn't buy non universal apps, I didn't even get Fieldrunners 2, I was gonna skip this game also. But being a card game freak I cracked and ended up buying this. So I'm playing on my IPad 3 and this game looks pretty damn good. I'm glad I didn't miss out cause its really just as good as universal except it doesn't fill the whole screen. The games visual style is fairly plain, so really not many jaggies at all. If your on the fence like I was, I'd say get this, it's not worth skipping, in my books anyway.
    Now I just gotta wait for Fieldrunners 2 to go universal. Jeeze

14. Bool Zero

Dec 14, 2010
    Yeah, Fieldrunners 2, another game I wanted but refuse to buy, hehe. Good to hear the iPad 3 impressions. I still want the developer to know I'd prefer a universal version, but with comments like yours and other posters I will just (begrudgingly) compromise my rule this time and break down and get this. The boardgame geek in me really likes this game (the phyical version) and I make it a point to pick up games like these for my iPad to have on the go as I always have my iPad with me (literally, it's part of my wallet)!

Now would somebody please announce a Talisman or Runebound game app already! We have some really great board and card games already translated but there are so many more great ones that could use a well made app!

15. Porkdish

Porkdish Active Member

May 31, 2011
    The life on that would be phenomenal. With so many optional expansions, you could pick them up as IAP progressively as they are released.

16. I did end up buying this. I was in the camp to wait till they announce it will be universal or not. Regardless it's pretty good implementation. On ipad 3 it works well except I really like to keep my ipad 3 charge while playing and can't really do it while holding it in potrait mode. So would love to see an ipad version in landscape.

I have the two Keltis HD and Keltis Oracle with all the IAP expansions. For those who don't know Keltis is basically "Lost Cities Boardgame". Also another one to check out is the universal Battle Line which is a tad more strategic with poker hands.

17. runliketurtles

runliketurtles Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2012
    Keltis looked interesting, but seems the opposite of Lost Cities. Sure it's made for iPad, but the rest of the implementation looks really poor. Better than the original non-HD Keltis (which looked horrible), but not good enough for me to grab unless it was a $1.

18. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    After exchanging some emails with one of the developers, it seems that a Universal or iPad version is highly likely...just not soon.

19. wilef

wilef Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2009
    The issue is, which one? iPad owners will gladly take the iPhone version now if they knew there would be a universal version later.

20. soldat7

Jul 12, 2011
    I'll send off an email and report back.