Universal Spellsword -(by Everplay)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, Apr 25, 2012.

1. vanalau

vanalau Member

May 5, 2012
    Not yet! But I will mash that search button...

2. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Well... It is out of our hands. We've approved it for the German, Switzerland, and Austrian stores. :)

3. Guise

Guise Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2009
    The audio options don't seem to be working for me. Turning the music slider all the way down to the left doesn't do anything, audio-wise.

Anyone else?

4. Tg2708

Tg2708 Active Member

Aug 11, 2011
    controls seems even more messed up after the update sometime he refuses to move even though my fingers are pressing the buttons.

5. Everplay

Everplay Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    Odd. We didn't touch the basic controls.

Now, you simply have more options. Go into Options and tap Pro Swipe or you can Config Control and place the icons where you'd like.

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Im updating now. I'll post here if anything had some changes which made it bad or good.

7. bigsid

bigsid Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Completely unplayable with the default controls on my iPhone 4 now. Buttons often just don't respond.

8. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #348 mkaen, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
    delete

9. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    I'm having a problem with VERY unresponsive controls as well, on my 4th gen touch.... Movement buttons don't respond about 1 out of every 3 taps, and the jump button only works about half the time. No real problems with attack yet, but I spam tap the hell out of it when I do tap it, so I don't think I'd notice.

Anyway, game is unplayable now.

10. Jaklar

Jaklar Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2010
    Controls are borked

I agree with others, the controls are not as responsive with this new update. i didn't touch any options, just jumped into Endless and noticed the player simply doesn't respond at times.

It's as if the hotspot for the touch controls were narrowed or something, requiring a few pixels more of accuracy.

I suspect a Gremlin poked through your code.

Edit: Playing on an iPad 3

11. bigsid

bigsid Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    Yes, swipe is really worthless for a game like this where quick change of direction is needed.

Controls aside - I think there also needs to be a small window of invincibility once you are attacked (like most games like this have). I find myself getting trapped between a few enemies in some of the later challenges, which results in instant death the way it stands now.

12. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    #352 McCREE, May 9, 2012
    Last edited: May 9, 2012
    very inconsistent controls post-update.

problems registering touches before i manually configured, which i had experienced intermittently prior to updating...now it is considerably worse.

serious problems when configuring buttons to the edges of the screen. virtually unplayable with this set up.

swipe controls are unusable with this twitch-style gameplay.

please readdress this update.

-----------------------------------
    EDIT: I've done some troubleshooting, thinking my inability to control my character in this game had something to do with user error. most certainly not. over the course of 3 rounds per control setup, with 3 different setups used, the game properly read my input just over half of the time. the controls are considerably worse the further apart they are and are just about unusable when positioned near the edges (side and bottom) of the screen.

i noticed that moving left or right from a standing position is quite responsive but moving left and suddenly right or vise versa, or any sort of directional jumping is where most of the problems come in. obviously this is unacceptable.

unless this is addressed soon, this game will be removed from my device. not a threat, but there's no reason to play if the game doesn't work. appreciate the effort, but this is a considerable step in the wrong direction.

good luck.

13. Gabrien

Gabrien Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Just reiterating what others have said regarding controls. Swipe actually works well but isn't really suited to this sort of game. Touch controls have become unresponsive.

14. adamans

adamans Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    Dir. of Communications at Code-Monkeys & Soma Game
    Oregon
    Just to jump in here, I have to say this is an awesome game and I say that from not just as player but a developer. I have played every night for at least an hour since it was released.

I can confirm what others are seeing with the update but you can be sure Everplay will come through with a fix and continue to improve on what is already a really fun game. In fact I know they are working on a solution as I type.

-

15. Springheeled Jack

May 9, 2012
    I made an account so I could bring up a few issues I noticed about the game, which may or may not have been brought up earlier in the thread.

Major:

• Immediately following up on enemies stunned by earth with a poison card not only takes away the effect of the stun, though the rocks surrounding them remain, but poison will not kill the enemies after the set time.
    • Also noticed that poison seems to sometimes color enemies purple, but not kill them after the set amount of time. I noticed this in Eyesaurs particularly.

Minor:

• Minor typos in the game text. The most noticable is in the Hot Spot world on mission 12 in the character's one-liner opening.

After updating, I haven't noticed any significant difficulties with controls at all, even during an endless match with large amounts of enemies and effects happening. I have not tried adjusting the controls yet.

Bugs aside, I have been enjoying this game immensly since I began playing it, and look forward to seeing new content, new cards in particular. I thought an earlier poster's thunder idea was excellent, combining ranged attack and instant effect on aquisition.

16. McCREE

McCREE Well-Known Member

Aug 26, 2010
    #356 McCREE, May 9, 2012
    i know absolutely nothing about programming or game development, so forgive me if i'm being naive or overstepping my bounds here but i thought i'd throw out a thought i had about the controls.

it would be nice if you could set up 4 zones for the inputs. so instead of placing the icon where you want, you could figuratively slice the screen into 4 quarters along the horizontal axis and each of these quarter-screen zones could act as an input.

i've found that just being a little off center on the icons can result in very poor response. that being said, being dead center, right on the middle is often much more successful than i led on in my first post.

i believe there may have been some user error in my efforts earlier in the night, but the game feels different now for sure. that could be because i cannot revert back to the default button placement so i can't play EXACTLY the way i could before i tweaked the controls, or it could be a byproduct of the update. i'm not sure.
    either way, there needs to be some more forgiveness in the accuracy of the button presses and i thought if there were no restrictions on the y-axis, the player would have a much larger area with which to work.

like i said...i have no experience building games. i hate to be the backseat driver, but i want to express what i've experienced in an effort to help the cause.

i love the game. if i didn't care, i wouldn't post. i appreciate the time you take on these forums and the constant care you seem to have for your work. looking forward to what's to come. thanks!

17. birnbe

birnbe Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

May 8, 2012
    I think the joystick needs to dynamically appear under your thumb and move just like the one in Paper Monsters (and numerous other games)

18. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    #358 Exact-Psience, May 9, 2012
    O god. The controls are messed up post update.

Now sometimes my character stops mid-walking because it doesnt read my finger on the move icon. Seems like the touch areas have been restricted to "in icon only." Before the update, you can press slightly outside the icons and they still respond.

ALSO, I think this needs a "Restore Controls To Default" thing.

The game's still fantastic, but occasionally, my character doesnt respond to a move or a jump or an attack, just because my thumbs arent EXACTLY on the control icons.

This needs either an unfixing, or a refix right away.

The enjoyment is still there, but right now, there are occasional "wtf" mixed in with it.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that in the score summary screen on a game over, some text are now overlapping each other when you score a little high.

19. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    I never like controls like that. I don't care if there is an option for it though, and I would try out the different controls, but I never seem to like movable controls.

20. knoids

knoids Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2011
    School
    Seattle WA (USA)
    This is my first post from the new toucharcade app!