★ TouchArcade needs your help. Click here to support us on Patreon.

Scree - Gameplay Videos and Work in Progress

03-16-2015, 04:38 PM
Looks interesting actually The video got me more excited than I expected.

Last edited by fabianb; 03-16-2015 at 04:40 PM.
03-17-2015, 12:56 AM
I like how its abstract. The sounds when it hits the bottom are awesome

03-17-2015, 11:03 AM
Thanks, all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexxie@SpungeGames View Post
I like how its abstract. The sounds when it hits the bottom are awesome
Thanks. I wanted to make game where the sound effects themselves created a musical soundtrack. All the sounds have random pitch, but always form decent-sounding chords together.

To do that I needed a formula that would transform any sampled note into any other sampled note. Couldn't find it anywhere, but I did find bits and pieces of musical theory that led me to the answer:

Multiply the pitch of the sample by:
(2 to the 12th power) raised to the power of (the number of half-steps to shift, + or -)

(For the non-musical... like me... "half steps" = "piano keys": both black and white.)

(My next math challenge: the random chords sound fine now, but aren't restricted to any one musical key--and I'd like to re-do the sound system to make that possible. Then I could try different keys and give the sounds a different feel. I think I'll need to make a look-up table for that, unless I can find some universal formula for the half-steps in a given Western scale.)

Morgan Adams (GameCenter: “Adams Immersive”)
My upcoming first game: Scree (Forum thread)
My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: Mind Magnets (Forum thread)
07-16-2015, 01:55 AM
Just posted a new gameplay video (in the original post). Shows the menu/UI, and a handsome china plate, suitable for any occasion...

My upcoming VR horror experience: This is Not the Church of the Worm (Forum thread)
Stop making lists. Organize with shapes and colors instead: Mind Magnets (Forum thread)
07-24-2015, 03:39 AM
I love this idea! It's super original and I can already tell that I'd love it just by the brief gameplay I saw on your Mobcrush broadcast. I can't wait for the release
07-26-2015, 08:33 PM
Thanks! And I may take you up on the testing offer later on. I will need testers soon.

07-27-2015, 12:52 AM
Looks fun and fresh! Good luck with the game!
07-30-2015, 12:36 PM
Thank you. I hope to post a video soon demonstrating how you can customize your loadout—choosing a lot of weak bombs, a few powerful ones, or some mix in between.