Antialiasing on iOS 4 is really awsome

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Akhilpo, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Akhilpo

Akhilpo Well-Known Member

I have updated my iPod touch 3g yesterday and I blown away when i played Real Racing today with the updated version. It looks really realistic. Hopes Gameloft will update their games to implement this feature, coz its really worth it. I want to play GT Racing with antialiasing....Now...

Please reply any other game that has antialiasing...

2. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Huh? How was this a feature of iOS4? I thought that the antialiasing was just increased on the iPhone 4 (due to the increased amount of pixels).

3. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

iOS4 allows games to utilize anti-aliasing on all devices. On iPhone4 using that feature doesn't make much sense since the pixels are pretty small for the eye to see the aliasing :)

Zen Bound 2 uses anti-aliasing on 3rd gen devices.

4. LBG

LBG Señor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    Ok, thanks for explaining it :)

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    I havent really noticed a difference in any of my games yet. I do notice icons and album artwork looks a or crisper now. Thumbs up

6. justlegos

justlegos Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    Student/Cart Pusher
    Iowa
    Too bad my 2nd gen doesn't get it :(

7. MICHAELSD

MICHAELSD Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Look on the bright side: that's a sign you're due for a new iPod touch this September with a retina display that blows away what anti-aliasing is capable of ;).

8. onewithchaos

onewithchaos Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2009
    California
    I believe Abstract War has anti aliasing

9. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

It's up to the game to enable AA or not. All iOS4 devices, including 2nd gen, do support the feature, but since it comes at a performance cost, not all games are able to take advantage of it.

10. sticktron

sticktron Well-Known Member

What looks like shit is the upscaling on the iPhone 4 !?
    It's awful. 960x640 with 1/2 sized pixels should look exactly the same as 480x320, even better since the gridlines are so tiny.

Instead games look blurry, like they are being upscaled with a filter, which is really disappointing for games that have finished development (eg my beloved PES)