iCade compatibility list/wishlist

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by laxking97, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Why is the icade bitty map buttons so strangely? Seems like since it is newer, it should map buttons well or even have some kind of remapping available via hardware. Strange, I wanted to buy the bitty for my hdmi tv with my new ipad, but now I am scared. What do you all recommend for me to get for using with hdmi tv with an ipad 3???

2. yellowknife

yellowknife Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2010
    A couple of guys on the Gridlee thread like using the iCade Core on their lap while relaxing in living room and using TV out.

3. For anyone,

Can I use this version with my ipad 3 ios 6.1?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008BGY2I6/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1360218469&sr=8-1&pi=SL75

Or is this ipad 2 and 1 only? This one seems cheap. But don't know if it will work with an ipad 3?

Don't mind using on my lap and since I got a Gameloft duo gamer joystick, would be cool to also have a big stick. Just worried that it would get heavy on my lap.

So which do you others think is best for me for ipad hdmi tv? The core or the bitty?

4. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #1444 Bytebrain, Feb 7, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
    You can use the iCade core and every other iCade version with all iPads.

I don't know how heavy it is, I'm waiting for mine to be custom build by fellow TA member jwm2, but the original iCade is definitely way too heavy, but that's because the cabinet is made of wood. I suspect the core is much, much lighter.

I just received my 8-Bitty yesterday, and I'm very disappointed. Not in the hardware itself, but because the button mapping is extremely out of whack on most every game I've tried.

Metal Slug games for instance, have the jump button on the left shoulder button, which is neigh impossible to use comfortably because the joypad is on the same side.

Almost none of the games I've tried have mapped the buttons sensible for the 8-Bitty.
    I understand that most developers uses an iCade to map buttons on, but knowing the issues with the 8-Bitty, all they have to do is to map the same command to several buttons if possible, as most don't use more than two or three buttons.

The only app that have sensible button setup I've found, is Gridlee, which is great, there's so many great games for that.

Although the controller itself is great, I just can't recommend it.

5. Eggroll Games

Eggroll Games Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Developer
    Winston Salem
    #1445 Eggroll Games, Feb 7, 2013
    If you bought an 8-bitty and were disappointed, here are some titles that work well with it:

Dynamite Jack (button config in options)
    Action Driver
    Sunday Lawn
    Gold Miner Joe
    Bubble Pig
    Activision Anthology

These work the way you expect including menus, using face buttons, etc.

If I think of/discover more I'll post them.

6. Wow, this list is so small. Don't understand why this is the case for a newer controller, you would have figured it would have been backwards compatible with all the games.

Having the Gameloft duo gamer joystick with console like games like Wild Blood, Asphalt 7, Nova 3, Modern Combat 3, etc; I think I will just end up being disappointed buying a bitty.

Buy this icade core now catches my fancy and if it is only $39 on amazon seems like a good deal.

Got three more questions about the core. Does it have any mapping problems and can you remap buttons? Is it compatible with all icade games? And if I have it on my lap, can my ipad be resting elsewhere like on a table 4 ft away?

Thanks. Maybe the core is what I'll get now over the bitty.

7. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    #1447 Adams Immersive, Feb 7, 2013
    I think the 8-Bitty is made for Think Geek by a different company (not Ion) and they simply made some bad decisions in the design of it/key mapping. It's not really an iCade.

For what it's worth, Ion's web site lists which iCade (real iCade!) models work with which games--see the icons next to each title. Not sure how accurate those details are or aren't. But the iCade Mobile is listed--it might make an 8-Bitty alternative. I never hear of anyone using it! Probably because it doesn't fit the iPhone 5, and people don't think to use it with an iPad. But I'm sure you could: it's just Bluetooth like the rest.

But even the Mobile isn't the REAL classic iCade layout with the giant stick and all the buttons in one place.

I highly recommend the iCade Core for use with HDMI. It looks to be made the same as the control surface of a full iCade, which means it should be nice and sturdy. And I doubt it's painfully heavy: there's not much in there but wires, AA batteries, and air! So if you like REAL arcade controls (which iCade games are made for), go for the full-size Core!

ANY iPad (or iPhone or iPod!) will work with the Core (or any BT gaming device). The slot is not super-tight and can accommodate all kinds of tablets--even future iPads. Portrait and landscape alike--but with HDMI it doesn't even matter. The connection is wireless and the iPad need not be anywhere near the iCade.

I use my full iCade with a projector, but it's awkward--hard to lug around, hard to see over, and it needs a coffee table, not a lap. I wish I had the Core. Someday I'll grab one on sale. (Not that $39 is bad, but I already have ONE iCade!)

No hardware remapping: it seems to be electronically the same as the classic iCade, from everything I've heard. SOME games may allow custom remapping in their software settings. But it doesn't matter: there are no mapping problems because the games are designed FOR this layout (identical to the original iCade layout). Other iCade and Bluetooth devices have potential mapping problems because the games were generally not designed for them. But iCade and iCade Core are the original and best-supported layouts.

All iCade games are compatible with Core. (The tech here is so simple, it's not a worry: it's simply a Bluetooth keyboard at the end of the day.)

And yes, you can leave the iPad several feet away. I wouldn't want it TOO far since sometimes you must tap menus, but I also wouldn't set it in the Core's slot while in my lap: I fear it would fall out if I moved around.

8. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    #1448 laxking97, Feb 7, 2013
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showpost.php?p=2657301&postcount=1426

Metal Slug 1 and 3 were already on the list, but I have updated it so that 2 is on also. Thanks :)

btw: would you prefer the way it is now, or alphabetical order? I won't do it based on release date, because that would take forever, but if you would like it alphabetized that'd work too.

9. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #1449 Adams Immersive, Feb 8, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2013
    I like it as is! (Or else maybe add the new ones on top rather than at the end.)

Not alphabetical, because:

1. Then we'd never spot additions.

2. It's easy to find a certain game in the list with Command-F, so scanning alphabetically by eye isn't necessary.

3. It's easy enough for someone to make their alpha version (sort in TextWranger, etc.) if they want one, like for pasting into a Wiki.

(There's no harm in alphabetizing it now if you like, or keeping Donut games/other series together, or whatever... as a starting point. But moving into the future, newest-on-top or newest-at-end would be handy!)

10. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I'll keep it the way it is then. Newest are at the bottom right now and I'll probably just keep it that way if people don't mind

11. bsquadron

bsquadron Active Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Hi !

B-Squadron : Battle for Earth v1.61 is available, with better iCade support !

Download the game...

Coming soon v1.70 :
    - New icon
    - New Apollo HD graphics
    - New Player Plane HD graphics
    - Memory optimizations
    - New resume game menu

[​IMG]

RĂ©gis

12. Adams Immersive

Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Ohio
    #1452 Adams Immersive, Feb 13, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  13. marco76

marco76 Well-Known Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Verona - Italy
    Hi guys can you confirm me that with icade core i can use my actual ipad 1 generation and my future buy ipad mini? I hope your answer...

14. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    ICade Classic, iCade Core and iCade Mini works with all iOS devices.
    It connects via Bluetooth, so if the games you want to play supports it, it'll work with your iPad 1 and iPad mini.

15. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    #1455 Bytebrain, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
    I've just discovered that Danmaku and Stormstrikers both supports the iCade!

They aren't on the list here, and neither is listed on the list on ION's web page, which is really strange.

The developer does himself a disservice not advertising that his games are compatible with the iCade, as I'm sure he'd get some customers solely on this fact.

For anyone curious, they are both Bullet Hell Shmups of the very hardcore variety.

Edit: The correct and full name of the game is Danmaku Unlimited.

16. What? Just for that, I am getting an icade core for my hdmi new ipad tv system! Coolness!

17. Lost_Deputy

Lost_Deputy Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Venue Manager
    Sydney
    Re downloading Danmaku. Thanks for the tip!

18. c2matrix

c2matrix Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2009
  19. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    There's a sequel coming very soon according to the developer.
    It'll also support the iCade.

Release date on March 1.

Link to the developers latest video of the game and the thread for the game in the upcoming section:

Danmaku Unlimited 2

20. Bytebrain

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    My custom built iCade core, curtesy of fellow TA member 'Jwm2', is en route from the US to Denmark, and I can't wait to get my hands on it. :D