Universal Combo Crew - (by The Game Bakers)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Sanuku, May 22, 2013.

1. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    Sounds familiar ;)

2. SumoSplash

SumoSplash Well-Known Member

Sep 27, 2011
    Playing iOS games, duh.
    Pennsylvania, U.S.
    #222 SumoSplash, Oct 28, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    However...

There is a very important and distinguishing factor that separates Combo Crew from the typical Freemium ballyhoo: consumables are NOT able to be purchased with real money. I was not greeted by a pop-up asking me to buy more in-game currency once I had spent what I had already earned. Instead I was alerted with a sound effect of denial, demonstrating that I was out of money and that I couldn't bypass the gameplay itself to earn more by opening my wallet. There is no way to increase either of the dual currencies with real money. Tapping on the coin and controller icons at the top right hand corner of the screen does not give you the option to pay. You spend what you earn by playing, period.

Of course there are the cheat IAP, which are permanent. It is important to separate the purchases that are permanent unlocks from the purchases that place the vacuum nozzle inside your pocket.

What the devs have done is taken the least offensive approach to Freemium possible. In a day where so many games are ruined by wait timers and consumables that are there to get you to spend real money endlessly, this title simply has to be separated from that pack.

3. toshiX

toshiX Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2012
    I need help here. I am at round 011 and I think I am supposed to counter 3 hits. How am I supposed to do that? I tapped on the screen when there was a red exclamation mark over the enemies but that did not register as a counter. Am I missing something?

4. zinkdogg

zinkdogg Well-Known Member

Jul 7, 2013
    Love the game.… I want to buy the Capcom characters. How do I get the the pack that has all the characters? In-game, it looks like I can only buy them separately. Went to the AppStore, clicked on IAP, and I can't click on the "complete crew" pack on the list.

5. Pixel_Gamer

Pixel_Gamer Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2013
    Go to the in game shop, then the cheats section. The character pack is in there.

6. newtothis

newtothis Well-Known Member

Oct 1, 2013
    so i'm wanting to like this game but the default characters are not engaging or fun to play with. thinking of getting some of the capcom ones but not sure if its worth the 4 bucks to get the inclusive pack. im leaning between ken and ryu, whos the better one to go with for this game, are there differences between the two...

7. Drummerboycroy

Drummerboycroy Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    We're going to have to agree to disagree, if that works for you :))). IMO, I'd MUCH rather see clearly visible unambiguous timers than pick up a game prominently using the "cooler" characters in various forms of advertising and even the game's icon, only to discover that those characters are not even attainable without using "real world" money.

I will wholeheartedly agree with you with regard to "endless spending." That tactic is as cynical as it gets, and really throws into question the whole, "IAPs are a necessary evil because developers have to eat" argument. Exactly what are they eating? ;)

Again, IMO, within the spectrum of IAP possibilities, there simply isn't anything worse than the "constant drain" IAP tactic. However, I would argue that insurmountable paywalls for prominently featured "better/cooler whatever" is right down there with it. Every time I read a new comment here or elsewhere from people wishing they could play with the "better/cooler" characters and wondering if they should spend money on them, I grimace and think, "Congratulations. Mission accomplished."

DBC

8. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    And?

The issue is not whether or not people will want the IAP only characters. After all, the devs would have performed a pretty bad job of working out licensing agreements with Capcom if nobody actually wants to play with them.

The only question anyone should be concerned about is if the stock content worth the price? If so, ANY complaints about IAP add ons fall under pointless entitled whining. If not, then, fine, you have a point. As someone who played a great deal of this game for its launch price of 1.99 before there ever were any additional characters, I throw my vote behind the platform that any complaints are pointless, entitled whining. People are free to form whatever unsupported impressions they want regarding the addition of the Capcom characters and their use in the game's icon, but I take umbrage at the notion the stock 4 characters don't provide more than enough entertainment value to warrant a whopping $2.

9. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    Wasn't actually talking to you, but was in fact finishing up a conversation with someone who was in fact responding to me directly. ;)

But hey, having read a few of your posts, I get it. ;)

You enjoy it? Think it's reasonably monetized? Awesome, enjoy yourself. But thanks for taking a shot at me, I had kind of wondered when it would be my turn. ;)

"Whining..." Oh my, that never gets old... :rolleyes:

DBC

10. C.Hannum

C.Hannum Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2011
    New York State
    What else do you call it? There's a point where someone "expressing their opinion" ceases to be a difference of views and just becomes, well, whining. We can always pretend it's something else and use more diplomatic words but not really my thing when I don't see what that accomplishes.

It's not like we don't know what video games cost on every other platform except phone centric mobile OS's, and it's not like we don't know what the inherent perils are in trying to keep price points so low. At some point you've got to either just admit that a $4 add on for characters for a $2 full fledged game is more than fair, or you've got to be honest: you're cheap, like your $0/$1/$2/$3 games and want to get as much for free regardless of the long term negative impact to developers and the platform. The latter, because, frankly, it sounds like my children complaining about something, and, further, is morally indistinguishable from said childish complaining, might as well be filed under "whining" because at no point does it rise to a defensible position from where I'm standing (someone who actually likes getting quality video games at a fair price without driving off developers).

I realize that doesn't wholly apply to you, but I've read enough of your posts to get the gist of where you stand on these matters due to some sort of, I would argue, misplaced principle, and I'm merely here to suggest that's not always the best place to be arguing from. I find it pretty hard to believe you, given the general intelligence displayed in your many posts, actually believe that a whole $4 for ALL additional characters, present and future, is some sort of egregious manipulation by the Game Bakers, yet that is the position you're taking here for whatever motivations drive you.

11. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    I bet the British Parlament thought the colonists back in the day were whiners too. But look where we (well Americans) would be if no one complained.

As for this game, I got snookered into buying it before the update that added all the IAP and I regret the purchase. It's like putting money into a drink machine and the can that comes out is empty or worse instead of it having mountain dew in it like the can reads, it's instead some generic cola and I'll need to put more money in and press a special code to get the drink I thought I was buying. Lesson learned. Hopefully others don't get snookered by the packaging.

12. Drummerboycroy

Apr 2, 2012
    Clinician
    Maine!
    So wait, you like to know what you're buying? You unprincipled whiner... :rolleyes:;):D

DBC

13. nightc1

nightc1 Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2012
    AL
    You forgot greedy & entitled, but I'll let it slide.

14. seeraphael

seeraphael Member

Dec 21, 2012
    How do you unlock Lester again?

15. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    Maybe you but him? He actually came unlocked for me when the first IAP update hit (the one that added Viewtiful Joe for 1.99 but Lester was unlocked already)

16. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    I think I read the dev's statement somewhere a while ago, you need to complete the tower before he gets unlocked.

17. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I don't think you're gonna like the game at all if you found the initial characters boring.

18. kioshi

kioshi Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2011
    Brazil
    I never completed the tower and he was unlocked for me with the Viewtiful Joe update.

Anyway, maybe that's it. I got the Capcom pack and I'm ready to start playing again, love this game.

19. Pixel_Gamer

Feb 6, 2013
    I need to earn a perfect combo bonus during a rescue. Feel free to add me up into your crew and ask for rescues. I play this game daily.

foreverpixelated[at]gmail.com

20. Endeauvirr

Endeauvirr Active Member

Jul 25, 2012
    Ifanyone plays the game- add me as crew member- my email : gfxcraft(at)gmail.com