True Innovation is to Risk everything. Please let us create a game!

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Dumbledorious, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hello to the Community,

I'm Simeon. I believe that everyone has the power to take over this world and make it our own. For me, making things different than better is a step toward true innovation. All I see in the gaming community (especially mobile) are developers rambling on about how great and better their game is. How their games include innovative features that will "change the way you play." They always focus on being the best and the highest. I'm not going to say that this is good, even a little, for their case. They focus on being the highest in such a small area of the industry (or life). Which is why the mobile gaming market spaces are also known as a place where hipster games are created and S**T is made, although for a few exceptions . I believe that True innovation happens when a team of developers risk EVERYTHING for something they believe in. When they continue, brutally, to focus everything on the customer and the player's perspective, they will begin to understand that technology has to be created from this perspective, although tough, but in the end it advances us forward.

My first game that introduced me to how a game works was the first Unreal game from Epic Games. I played around with the engine and my imagination was released, even though I had no clue what I was doing. Fly mode and summoning an army of Skarrj Warriors against the peaceful Nalis became my hours of virtual genocide. Before I request something from you all, I want to state that I am not an experience game developer. However, I do share the same attention to detail and passion for creating a fantastic game and story and vision as those who do. I love Shenmue. (That was just... I just wanted to write that little expression for my Luuuuuuuv.)

Okay, right to what it is I want to request from you all. You all don't know me, but hopefully we all share the same vision and passion for games. As of now, I am working as a consultant (Title: Game Operator, although the position description is so much more=) in a game department in Shanghai. I get to pretty much create a game I believe that will "be profitable" in the western markets. Now, as I utilize my position as a consultant to make these "profitable" games, I can create amazing games with the team here. Today I take some inspiration from Flappy Bird. Simple game with no complexity and only relies on skill. I would like to create a game that is designed with simplicity with all the technical complexities underneath and create a focus on the core of what the game is about and, like Flappy Bird, relies solely on skill.

I believe before I begin to brainstorm for a game idea, I focus all my attention on the customers wants and needs. I believe that the customer knows what kind of game they want. For example, people know what sort of gameplay mechanics works best on a touch screen, they know somethings they want to see in a game to immerse them into a great story or combat. They know what sort of multiplayer aspects they want. Customers know they want convenient and simple features in a game that allows them to play with ease while so many complex things happen in the game. On the other hand, customers don't know what game they want to play. That is why it is up to the developers to come up with a new game universe. Am I correct? Personally, I know what sort of play style I want on the phone and some features I want that hasn't yet been featured on a touch screen. But I don't know exactly what game I would like to play, particularly on a phone.

From this understanding, I can think of what needs to be created (invented) in order to give people what they want and more than they expected. However I am not an exprieixned developer so I need the help and advice of the Community.

I would like to know what you all want from mobile gaming. We are going to create a mobile game regardless (rather, they will) so I want to listen to what everyone who reads this has to say. This is a serious post from me and I am always open to anything. Note that our Developing Dept. is quite a young one and we are a branch off of a large Advertising Company. Although the CEO does have the last say, he will still be considering my suggestions and especially if he can see the reaction of people here, things will happen how we want them to. I believe (I could be wrong) the CEO of this company follows the money, completely. I'm a creative person so I believe that money will always be a result of the business that you genuinely love to do. And they don't give the gaming dept. a lot of money, we still have a big enough team of about 12 people. We have android and iOS coders and artists. Story, Gameplay, Mechanics, Everything Else relies on me and some managers. This could be a great chance to create something amazing. Thank you.

I will be listening.

2. Mirlo

Mirlo Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Spain
    Well, you are asking a very difficult question. I know what I want from a mobile game, but sometimes developers create a game that nobody thinks it could work in mobiles (even me), but... it does!

This is what I expect from a mobile game:
    - I really like the easy-to-play-hard-to-master games, like Flappy Bird or Angry Birds. Anyone can play it, but it is really hard to achieve a good score.
    - I can play it for a few minutes when I am in my way to the office
    - I don't care if it is a free2play game or a paid game, but if it's a free2play I like when the developers let me decide when I want to pay. I usually give some money to any free game that keeps me playing for a couple of weeks.
    - I don't like the on-screen joystick some games have. I prefer to play those games on a PC.

I know it is not much information, but I hope it can help you :)

3. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Sounded great about creating a new game until you mentioned Flappy Bird, now i cant take it seriously

4. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hey Mirlo,

It was great you responded! I don't the quantity but quality of information. =]
    I completely understand what you mean. As we will be doing the F2P model, I will focus on letting people pay extra ONLY for cosmetic stuff. I don't want to force people to pay to 'up' their game at all. I want to create something like Flappy Bird or Angry Birds. I just want to hear good ideas about what we could make and what makes a game great for mobile.

I'm actually having trouble thinking about the social implementation on these games. I want to make sure that all the social aspect are clean and simple but full of features.

You know it doesn't matter how crazy or hilarious the ideas are, it's the best way to be creative!

So Mirlo, if you have any ideas, let me know!

5. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hey Psj,

HAHA no worries, I don't admire the game that much, but the simplicity at which he had designed and focused the gameplay experience to one thing (boring to me). We're not making anything to Flappy Bird here, we haven't had an idea of what to create at the moment. Well actually, they do, but it's not good enough. I didn't know of iCade until I saw your signature. I want to fulfill all the wants and needs from everyone, and it IS possible if we focus all of our efforts to make it possible!

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Will post more detailed thoughts later, but if you looking at games that have simple touch controls and require skill, don't use Flappy Bird as inspiration. It was a trend and popular but it wasn't a very good game. Look at games like Badland, Wingdot, Canabalt, Beat Leap, Toast Time, Platforms Unlimited, Magnetized. All use simple one touch controls, all require skill to improve and progress, and all are far more polished in gameplay, visuals, and overall experience compared to Flappy Bird

7. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hey Bronxsta, You're absolutely right. I got caught up in the moment of Flappy Bird's success. But I still do feel like the simple focus that the creator developed on, made the game easy to pick up and play. It's this feeling I want to get the player to feel when they pick up the game no matter how complex the game is itself. I will await your ideas! Thank you for giving me your time Bronxsta!

8. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I do agree that simple gameplay is one of the key things, people seem to forget about gameplay sometimes and instead worry about game centre achievements and fancy graphics etc.

I'm not saying clone an old retro game but its worth looking back to seeing examples of great retro games and why people still play them now, yes theres nostalgia but i wouldnt play a retro game if its rubbish just because of nostalgia. A lot of retro games are just so playable and you need to try and capture that.

In 25 years time people will still be talking about the classics, look at those and see what makes them great.

9. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Psj, I also do agree with you there. I always remember how games immerse me in imagination SO much many years ago. Each game had a completely different feeling. I do have to point out that I was younger and my mind was all into those games back then. However, games now days seem like a direct copy and treat game features like fashion now.
    Let's see what ideas we all can come up with.

10. iPadisGreat

iPadisGreat Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Different people want different games. You need a clear vision or your new gig might just end up as a Zynga.

For me personally, I would like Counterstrike on Apple TV with controller support.

11. Snozberry

Snozberry Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2012
    As much as free to play is hated around here, it's consistently becoming the cooking cutter type game that goes mainstream because no one wants to shell out a buck for a game they haven't played.. (If that was the case, we would all have to shell out over a million bucks to buy every game in the AppStore that costs 99c..) 99c sounds like nothing, but like everything, it accumulates.. So personally, I'd go for free to play, with a 99c to unlock the full game or remove ads option.

What I like it a game-

Innovation
    Polish

If it's not innovative, I don't want it.
    I've already got 7 match 3 games on my iPad, why would I want another?
    I've got 12 word games, again, why would I want another?
    I have no idea why so many reskins exist on the AppStore, completely unnecessary. I've only ever paid for 1 match 3, which was chuzzle, and 1 word game, which was bookworm. People generally will only pay for one concept once, so you need to figure out a way to twist the concept to put a new spin on things if you want people to shell out the 99c unlocking fee on your free to play game.

The casual crowd love polish, without polish, your game will not go far. It's an absolute necessity. Nobody likes sloppy UIs and title screens.

What else I like-
    Fast reflex sort of games, like flappy bird, kid tripp, super hexagon, octagon, etc
    Rage games, like "cat mario"
    Both these genres have a good chance of going mainstream because they're the type of game people share with friends to compete with high scores.
    (Leaderboards and high score sharing is a MUST)
    The only other option for great word of mouth Is an MMO.
    Both these genres often market themselves through sheer word of mouth, if your game is in fact polished addictive, and fun to play of course.

The whole rage game thing is pretty in right now, especially with all this flappy bird drama..
    Maybe you can figure out a unique twist on the concept.

Something simple to play, but hard to master, it's those sorts of games that seem to succeed in the AppStore..

A bit of planning during release also helps, pick a quiet week to ensure you are featured by apple and by sites like TA and PG, make a TA thread on Wednesday night, give out a few promo codes before the game is released do others can play with it early and get some buzz and impressions coming in..

12. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#12 Bronxsta, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    While I prefer premium games and free with game unlocks, I don't mind IAP if the gameplay isn't reliant on it and the rate of progression is fair and balanced, not skewed towards buying currency, time, etc. Games like Quadropus Rampage and Only One are prime examples of free games with IAP done right.

Many games have proven that onscreen controls can be done well, but just as many have shown that trying to cram controller-esque controls onto a touchscreen only make for a clunky experience. I like games that use the advantages of the IOS platform to their strength, by devising control around unique touch interfaces, tilt, relative touch, etc. From the simple one touch scheme of Badland to Sky Tourist's dual finger controls and Rocket Robo's mix of touch, tilt, and swipe, games like these are by far the most enjoyable and intuitive to control

In a similar fashion, I like mobile games that actually feel like they're meant to be on a mobile device. By that I mean, they offer experiences that wouldn't be possible or would just feel off on PC or consoles. Device 6's blending of text adventure with the innate ability to rotate and swipe on your device. Monument Valley's tangible touch-friendly interface, as you directly manipulate the environment with your fingers. Reaper's simple but effective swipe-based combat.

In general, I like a challenge. Games that require practice and skill to progress, that the causal gamer probably wouldn't enjoy or stick with. My favorite genres are roguelikes, high-difficulty twitch games, and precision platformers, and IOS is fertile ground for these genres. They demand the player's utmost focus and skills, These games offer a different kind of appeal and thrill; the appeal of perfection, the thrill and adrenaline rush of clearing a challenge that defeated you dozens of times before, where each failure hones your skills that much more until you could achieve that white-knuckle perfection.

But most of all, I like fun games. As much as I appreciate wonderful minimalist art or hardcore white-knuckle challenge or a gripping narrative or atmospheric visuals, gameplay, the experience itself, should always come first. A game should first and foremost be fun to play, because if it's not, then the game is already flawed on a base fundamental level. So many mobile developers and games seem to put business models before that core tenet, and I think IOS gaming has suffered because of it, not just in terms of how prevalent freemium is but also in regards to how mobile games are preceived and often dismissed.

13. Darklord1011

Darklord1011 Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2013
    Counter strike?

If someone brings it i am ready to pay 10$.

But these time all games are somehow inspired from other games, which is kinda acceptable.

Bringing something entirely different and making slight change to original and claiming it as " play xyz game in a new way or like never before" is different.

F2P games are acceptable, but if possible premium games are much better for me, and should be value for money.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    At the end of the day you wont please everyone ! Such varied tastes with iOS gamers, some love stunning graphics, i prefer smaller filesize etc

Its good to ask people what they want but ask 10 people you'll get 10 different answers back

15. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hey guys,

I have the utmost appreciation for your feedback. We all have the same perspective on the games we want to play. I agree with everything written here so far. Here is an issue I have at the moment. My Mandarin isn't so great so I have a hard time communicating with the team. Two managers speak decent English at a basic level and the CEO speaks very well. They see this F2P model as a trend and an opportunity to increase their return on investment obviously. I am doing some more research to find some hard statistics and facts (along with respectable opinions) about the right way of making the F2P model the correct way. We still have games here that we buy licensing from some local developers that have so much sh*t wrong with their IAP.. and everything else. I'm not the best in many things so I want to let them do their job while I find the best way to help them create some awesome games. Here in China, the people here have skill in coding. Their creative imagination is very narrow but with the right direction and inspiration, they can create some awesome games. I was just told that the CEO wants to amp up their games so we are set to publish 4 games every single month. That, of course, we buy the licensing from local developers. Our own games however, are still being developed, that totally don't even come to my standard at all. Over time, I want to show you guys what is happening in this place. Your feedback and help will push me and my team small steps closer to creating a game we all want to play.

So, if you guys have some ideas to draw or just have some examples pulled off the internet, I will take those and see what we can do. Although the people here don't seem like it, they are quite desperate to know what exactly Americans and other westerners want to play.

I believe some of the first games we will make will be fairly simple games. The team hasn't gained much momentum yet, so it will take some time. I will be posting regularly on TA.

16. Xexist

Xexist Well-Known Member

May 6, 2010
    Canada
    Yup, you had me up until flappy bird.

17. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    I would like to see a game like Borderlands 2 on a mobile game.

18. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

There is a borderlands game for ios, but I guess you mean "borderlands like."

19. originalcopy

originalcopy Well-Known Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Really? I should get that game. I also would like to see an exploration game set in the world of Fallout on mobile. In first person view. That'd be awesome.

20. Dumbledorious

Dumbledorious Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Hey Xexist,

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I am not interested in creating another "Flappy Bird." I just wanted to point out at the simple gameplay the developer focused on. As simple as the game is, it does require skill to achieve a big score in the game. With this as a value for creating a game, how can we as developers create a simple interface and game mechanics that allows people to pick up and play without having to learn so much, but with their choice, they can learn more as the learning curve can be steep if people see interest. We can give people the choice of simple ways to pick up and play and also the choice for hardcore gamers who want a whole lot of features within the game... I don't know where I'm getting at but it's a start =P