Stop double posts and threads easily

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and News' started by TheOnePb, Jan 16, 2009.

1. TheOnePb

TheOnePb Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Hey Everyone,

I'm noticing that there are some forum problems here. Everyone's talking about it, while these are easy to reduce!

• Solutions are simple: 2 warnings -still causing trouble? Ban!
    • Subforum for mods, devs and senior members to discuss the behavioir of other members.
    • Subforum for promo codes.
    • Forum-plugin that automaticly combines 2 posts of 1 member after double post.
    • Forum-plugin that (this is hard to explain...) shows you a list of tiltles that you want to give your thread. For example (!examples!): User007 made a thread called 'Exampletitlecheck, new game, out'.
      Now another member adds a new thread and sees there's already a thread about exampletitlecheck, and now he sees a link and can post his comment there.

I saw these things at other forums and they work really well.
    I'm don't know how these exactly work, but there must be people around here who know what I'm talking about, maybe that these can work this out?

TheOnePb

50HellsofPain likes this.
  2. rootbeersoup

rootbeersoup Well-Known Member

Oct 4, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    The double posting thing is a standard IPB feature I think... This is vB

3. TheOnePb

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Thanks

Hi,

These are the things I mean I know nothing about. I think your comment means these "plug-ins" can't be used on TA?

Thanks

4. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    more power has to be given to users. we should be able to delete our own posts and threads (when we realize whoops! and no mods online). we should be able to edit our forum titles. this would help

5. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    No. If we're allowed to delete our own posts, discussions become unreadable. If you decide to remove your post (the one I'm replying to) but my post remains here, it would look like I'm replying to TheOnePb and my post wouldn't make any sense.

Also, if you'd be allowed to remove your thread, you might remove information that's valuable for me.

If you've posted text that you want to remove, you can always edit your post and remove the text you want to be gone.

If there are no mods online simply press the Report button (the red triangle next to the post number) and the mods will delete it as soon as they come online. They may even get an e-mail notification and check out the report right away.

As for forum titles: I made a new topic today and I was able to edit my title. Maybe that becomes impossible after someone has seen (or replied to) the topic, but immediately after posting you can still change spelling errors etc. :)

I wouldn't mind seeing the suggestions by TheOnePb being implemented, they seem to make sense. (I do believe you posted this earlier, didn't you? I seem to recall reading those suggestions before)

Groeten uit het bewolkte Gelderland!
    (Dutch for "Greetings from a cloudy Gelderland", which is a province in the Netherlands where both TheOnePb and me come from :))

6. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    well if u quote then the post would make sense. but just forget my ideas.

7. spmwinkel

spmwinkel Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    You're right. :) If everyone uses quotes then indeed your suggestions make more sense. :)
    However, I hardly ever quote if I'm replying to the person above me since it clutters the page (it makes the page longer for no apparent reason since I'm continuing the discussion in a linear way by adressing the post directly above mine) and lots of other people also don't quote. :)

8. #8 wastedyuthe, Jan 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
    1) This is why we use infractions. When we give someone an infraction, it will stay for so many days, and give that user a yellow card so to speak. If we have a further issue with that member within that time we can see they have already had an infraction. It is then up to us if we want to take more drastic action.

2) Why should devs and senior members discuss the behaviour of others? If a member has an issue with another, report the post as spmwinkel stated.

3) This has already been discussed on another thread.

Just so everyone is aware, yes we get an email when a post is reported. Reporting posts is a great help to us, and we appreciate members doing so.

9. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I hate infractions. It just looks bad, but it is always my own fault.

10. Hehe! I think that's the point ;)

11. brewstermax

brewstermax Well-Known Member

I do think so. I've only had one, though. I wonder how many klondike has had? :rolleyes:

12. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    LAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWL
    LAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAW
    LAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWLAWL

Epic lulz. :)

13. {klondike}

{klondike} Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Rapture. It sucks.
    I've had six. Beat that.

14. Everydaynormalguy

Everydaynormalguy Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Student By Day, Masked Vigilante By Night
    Phoenix, AZ, USA
    Herp = bad troll

Yeah, the ability to delete our own posts should've never been removed in the first place. When I deleted a couple of my own posts, I PMed people to remove their quotes, simple as that. No need to have "ghost quotes" out there. The inability to delete our own threads should be kept as is. For the infractions system to properly work, the rules have to be made more clear. And yes, double posting should be bannable if done regularly. We can call it "The BMax" rule...

15. Haha! I don't think it's meant to be a competition!

"See how many infractions you get before you get banned! The winner gets a rubber duck!" :D

16. TheOnePb

Jan 11, 2009
    Still on school
    Holland
    Other 2 points

Back ontopic:
    Hi Wastedyuthe,

You're right about these things. I actually forgot the report button because it's so tiny and on the top of a post instead of on the bottom.
    What do you think of the forum plug-ins?

About deleting posts, it would make a topic really messed up if people delete their posts. Edit it and type something else, but deleting shouldn't be possible.

You can already edit your forum title.

Yep, I did in another topic but I didn't get any response to the most important things of the posts: the plug-ins!;)

Groetjes uit het bewolkte zuiden:)

17. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    for once u agree with me. thanks :D

18. Herp

Herp Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2008
    Coram, New York
    I wasn't trolling, I was laughing.

I come from 4chan, I have not yet begun to troll.

19. They might be ok, but the problem will be if things get too complicated for some people. I know I can handle it. But for someone who is just getting into forums it will all look very daunting.

20. nizy

nizy Well-Known Member

I think to prevent duplicate threads, you could simply:
    1. Have a tick box style warning displayed when you create a new thread that asks if you've searched for existing threads on this topic.
    2. Clarify the rules on posting new threads. For example, if a thread exists for an upcoming game, should someone start a new thread announcing its been released/reviews/1st impressions etc?
    3. As we already have many duplicate threads, couldn't the mods merge them into single threads (i've seen this on other forums)?
    4. Use stickies to highlight common topics. I.e. there's a great thread (here) about games you'd like to see, but there are several others that have been created probably because users haven't searched or seen it on the 1st few pages.