2 Unreleased iPhone Games - Which do you want to see?

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by gtjuggler, Jul 14, 2010.

1. gtjuggler

gtjuggler Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Technical Artist
    Boston, MA
    #1 gtjuggler, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    Hey there TA'ers.

It's Alex, creator of SpringFling and co-creator of Super Ramen Brothers.

I have been working on these two iPhone games, both in the > 50% done state, that I would like to bring to 100% completion, but have not been able to find the time.

I would like to know what YOU GUYS, the gamers, would like to see. Please let me know what you think of the games, both in its current state, and its potential, and which you are most excited to see released for the iPhone. Suggestions, comments, additions, praise, and insults are all welcome.
    Please note, I have a separate thread for 3 iPad games that I am working on, which includes these two games in HD, and SpringFling HD. You can view that thread here: iPad Game Prototype Thread

Do you think game A should have 'Feature X' added, or should I drop one certain aspect of game B? Please let me know. Many hours were put into the creation of these prototypes, so I want to work on the one that will excite the most people. I understand many gamers are not fans of certain genres, so please mention that if your comment applies. If you say the puzzle game sucks but are a notorious puzzle game hater, that is not much use to me :)

Here are the games:

Name: 3d Picross

Description:
    Video: Requires Quicktime
    Video 1 - Gameplay footage - Glasses puzzle

Video 2 - Gameplay footage - Pipe puzzle

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notes:
    - The UI shown in the video is incomplete, so you can ignore the layout and look of the buttons.

- The menu system shown in the video is also placeholder

- This was originally planned as an iPad game so I'm unsure of how it will translate to the iPhone screen. The main issue is the size of the finger and lack of a stylus. Thoughts on this would be appreciated. (Ways to handle zooming the camera, etc)

Name: LineBloom

Description:
    Video: Requires Quicktime
    Video - LineBloom Gameplay footage
    Sorry about the framerate in the video, my machine was having trouble recording it. It runs smoothly on the device.

Pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notes:
    - Levels are randomly generated as of right now, and there is only one pickup (the flower).

- The gray L-brackets that are strewn around the level are placeholder and I plan on replacing them with some kind of collide-able objects that transform when you hit them. Suggestions are more than welcome as to what to place here.

====================================

Well, there you have it. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

-Alex

EDIT: I'm working on a 3rd game, but for iPad, called SpringFling HD. Here are some screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    LineBloom looks sexy even in it's current state, but I'm kind of attracted to 3D Picross as well. In your screenshot it says "hold carve and tap a block to carve" which should almost certainly be the other way around for an iPhone screen, tap the block first and have it highlight so you can be sure you're carving the correct block. Those kind of mistakes could kill all the fun.

What's troubling you with the camera exactly? I thought Voxel (http://linktoapp.com/voxel) had decent camera controls, and it looks like you could use something similar for 3D Picross, only with tighter restrictions on how far you could pan/zoom etc.

3. GURU2028

GURU2028 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
  4. Delusionaltool

Delusionaltool Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    ohio
    both games look great but picross looks awsome you would sell so many copies of picross...thats like ds quality picross right there....

5. Whosatm

Whosatm Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2010
    I have never really liked Picross, so I would say Line Bloom.

6. sammysin

sammysin Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Government Official.
    Swansea, UK
    LineBloom looks beautiful.

7. nikhsterboi

nikhsterboi Well-Known Member

LineBloom for the win!

8. Touchgamer3g

Touchgamer3g Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Definitely LineBloom by a longshot!

9. gtjuggler

Aug 16, 2009
    Technical Artist
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the responses. Be sure to mention why you prefer one, and throw in any comments or suggestions about what you'd like to see included in the final game.

10. DrMonkey

DrMonkey Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Since both are in 50% completion, maaaaybe you can combine both of them to make a 100% game? :b

My vote goes to LineBloom, since I'm not really a fan of picross, and since it looks pretty cool. :0

11. gtjuggler

Aug 16, 2009
    Technical Artist
    Boston, MA
    I forgot to mention, in 3d Picross, the button panel can be moved from the left side of the screen to the right side of the screen for lefty/righty players. Same with color-blind players... I'll have an option which changes the 'miss' and 'lock' colors from Red-Green to something else that doesn't clash.

12. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Linebloom seems like it could be very addicting. Physics in anything is a sure winner.

Picross...I'm not sure about how it would do with the average gamer. Numbers, thinking...it's all too much

13. iVaro

iVaro Well-Known Member

Dec 18, 2009
    I like linebloom more because picross is boring

14. gtjuggler

Aug 16, 2009
    Technical Artist
    Boston, MA
    Thanks. :) That's good to hear, considering that game was created for a 2 day game jam and was hacked together very quickly.

Great idea. I can highlight the block then have the player 'execute' the action via the actions panel. That will help with 'fat finger syndrome' on the iPhone.

Yeah, I have already implemented pinch to zoom, but was having troubles regarding number of fingers on screen, but with this idea about selected block and executing an action, my problem disappears, so I'll have zooming working fine. :)

15. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Linebloom. I love Picross, but I'd also like something new.

16. gtjuggler

Aug 16, 2009
    Technical Artist
    Boston, MA
    *Ponders the possibilities* :)