Support our Sponsors:

Go Back   Touch Arcade > Games and Apps > iPhone and iPad Games

Old 07-26-2014, 07:57 AM
iPhone (Original), OS 3.x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breinstein View Post
Is this game recommended if you are new to the genre? Never really played strategy games, but I am a bit fed up with action games so I wondered if this game was a good one to start with? My main concern is that it will be overly complicated for a starter.
There is a lot to take in, but it's quite clever in the way that is organically gets more complicated as you go along. In the first couple of turns, it's just Serbia defending its border against the Austro-Hungarian forces. That eases you into things. Then a couple of turns later Germany enters the war and you control French and Belgium forces at their borders, plus you get the French navy to start learning how to fight at sea. Then the British join in, so you get more navy and the need to start ferrying units over the sea. It all gives you a bit to deal with at a time, then a bit more, then a bit more.

I recommend watching a bit of the Let's Play on YouTube, and take a look at the manual linked a few posts up. This is a very deep game, but it's not as ridiculously complicated as some of the Paradox games. It's very simple mechanics, but that used in the right way create deep strategy.

Plus, being such a huge war there's plenty of chances to make your mistakes without it costing you the entire campaign. I tried landing three units of infantry into the desert near Basra, only to find that without supply lines it was a literal suicide mission. Hasn't cost me the war yet, thank goodness.

Probably the biggest thing to get used to is planning ahead. Ordering a new unit of say, English infantry, takes 4 turns to produce. Then you need to deploy it in England, then it takes a turn to load it onto a ship, another turn to cross the channel, another turn to unload, then another turn or two to reach the front line. That's 8 turns from ordering to fighting, minimum (less if you deploy at cities on the Middle East front). If you come under a large enemy assault at the wrong time, fortifying your lines can take some time. But this is all part of the fun, you need to manage a constant stream of new units so you are ready to push ahead when the opportunity arises.

It's absolutely worth your time trying to find out if this game is for you. There's nothing else like it on iPad, and the grand sweeping narrative of an entire world at war is something very special.
Old 07-26-2014, 11:19 AM
iPad mini 2, iOS 7.x

Highly recommended reading for new players. Owen over at PT wrote a wonderful newbie guide today. Check it out.

http://www.pockettactics.com/features/field-marshal-owens-guide-commander-great-war-noobs/
Old 07-26-2014, 12:38 PM

@Parkingtigers thanks for the elaborate explanation, really helpful!

@scotdam thanks for the tip!
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM

The graphics look blurry and somehow unsharpen. Colours look like a bit washed out in my opinion. Same I noticed on Panzer Corps for iPad. Even if Im highly interested in this game, Ill pass due to these downers. Slitherine should really work more accurate on their graphics before releasing games....on retina devices. But thats just my opinion.
Old 07-26-2014, 01:01 PM

Default Great game...

...but where are the 'Select next/previous unused/partly used unit' buttons?

The manual helpfully tells me it's the Pg Up and Pg Dn buttons. Great. Thanks.

Much as I love Slitherine, their refusal to make proper manuals for their iPad versions proper grinds my gears, particularly given the premium pricing.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:05 PM

It would be nice to have the manual updated for the iPad version.

Last edited by LarryWP; 07-26-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 09:07 AM
iPhone 5, iOS 7.x

This game sounds/looks incredible. I've been really enjoying Battle of the Bulge", but am now looking for a something grander and more overarching. I like that you need to look ahead, using research and such, and it isn't just about winning the battle of the day. Instead you are trying to factor in the total war and your strategy within in. I like these forums because I can get a chance to hear what people think of games like this.

I have a possible dumb question. I don't own an iPad, just an iphone. Is there any chance of this coming to the smaller screens? I'd love to play it and would gladly pay $20 for a game like this
Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM
iPhone (Original), OS 3.x

Unfortunately big PC games like this will probably never come to iPhone. You reach a point where the screen is just too small. You'd need an interface that was designed from the ground up for the tiny screen, whereas on iPad it's really just a need to adapt touch controls for the existing game. You'd have such a narrow view of the battlefield it would be like trying to read a book through a microscope.

I'll tell you one more thing I really like about the game while I'm here. Producing units isn't an infinite resource to be exploited. It goes beyond just upkeep costs too. The more men you put into uniform, the more it affects production at home. With the factory workers shipped to the front, you get less resources to support the war, and the quality of the troops drops over time as recruiters are forced to less and less capable men. I'm at a point where Belgium is still in the war, but they only have enough population to produce 7 more infantry units, so they could end up being out of the fight just from having exhausted their manpower reserves. Of course, reinforcements to existing units also count towards this.

Probably the first war game I've played that makes you consider just where the reinforcements are coming from, and what effect the meatgrinder is having upon the nation.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:47 AM

In between two turns in wanted to write this : this game is soooooo good! Very, very rewarding! Best game i have on my iPad. Well done, Slitherine.
But I also need an undo-button :-)
And DEFINITELY a next unit-button.
One day? ;-)

Last edited by Loozr; 07-31-2014 at 06:17 AM..
Old 08-01-2014, 03:54 PM
iPad 2, iOS 7.x

If youíre new, start out as the Entente Ė Iím finding the Central Powers very difficult to win with! Iím doing well, but only by (arguably) cheating Ė i.e. saving and reloading. Maybe itís different if you focus on Russia first, but with my focus on the Western Front I find I have to be very precise to get anywhere. I just marched into Paris, but the Russians are awfully close to BerlinÖ this could be close. Things arenít going well in Italy, but thatís thanks to French help which may peter out soon. On the plus side, the Ottomans are running rampant through Russiaís soft underbelly.

Iím still shocked at Russiaís success Ė but I havenít played enough to start complaining about balance issues! I didnít manage that front very well.