Mage Gauntlet - from Rocketcat Games

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Kepa, Jul 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    #1 Kepa, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011

TouchArcade Preview and Trailer

Mage Gauntlet is a game inspired by 90's action-RPGs. Mostly Square's huge line of games at that time, and Zelda: Link to the Past. It also has our usual design twists. Reactive controls and combat, agile movement, and the return of hunting for secrets. We've also made a spell system inspired by arcade game powerups and a loot system where each choice you make has both advantages and disadvantages.

RELEASE DATE: 10/20! Get it before Saturday and it's $1.99 as a one-time release sale, $2.99 from then on. Get it before Monday for the Rocketcat Fan Pack, containing an in-game pet and 8 hats from previous games! After Sunday the Fan Pack is a 2 dollar IAP.

2. polarsolstice

polarsolstice Well-Known Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Hi Kepa, i am once again fascinated of rocketcat games. can't wait!!

3. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    I am super excited for this game. Looks very very promising compared to so many grindy KRPGs on the appstore right now.

4. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    I hope the magical combat is awesome enough to justify the slow speed you swing your sword at... I suppose it is more realistic, though. =D

The art seems great, though! Reminds me of Monster RPG 2 and Chrono Trigger.

5. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    I definitely cannot wait for this to hit the store. I just have to ask why you chose a sword as a weapon instead of a hook/whip ;),

6. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    I'm not a huge KRPG fan, either.

It's very briefly shown in the trailer, but you have the option of hitting the attack button rapidly to swing really quickly. Or you can take your time and do big, meaty swings for lots of damage. Both methods of attack "cleave", you'll slash everything the sword passes through.

We actually were going to have a whip/hook weapon in addition to the swords, but had to cut it for time D:

7. Register

Register Member

Jun 22, 2011
    When it out tell me plz :eek:

8. ikemike

ikemike Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Chicago
    #8 ikemike, Jul 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    Oh wow. That sounds... awesome!!! I think you might want to give the player a little more feedback for those "big, meaty" swings than you're giving now— it didn't really leave a strong impression of power in the trailer, at least to me.

EDIT: After looking at the video again, I think maybe the stiffness of the swings is possibly stifling the sense of power they have. I don't know how retro you're going for, but if you're willing to "loosen" up the attacking sprites a little (if you know what I mean), that'd be nice. =)

9. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Will this be universal, or will there at least be an iPad version coming?
    :eek:

10. misfitskater6

misfitskater6 Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Stoked for this game, Rocketcat makes the best stuff. :cool:

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    This looks great. I dont really like KRPG's because of the childish graphics for a lot of them, but Mage Gauntlet seems superb. Great retro style graphics, a mix of Ultima and Gauntlet it looks like.

Instant purchase for me, roll on August !

12. henrylkr

henrylkr Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    Instabuy as I usually do for Rocketcat's games. They've proved their awesomeness wayyyyy back when they released Hook Champ.

13. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    Props to RocketCat for the early buyer bonus. I'm surprised more devs don't do stuff like this. It seems like a great way to show your early adopters that you care, and then they don't feel screwed over if/when a sale hits.

14. Deity X

Deity X Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2009
    I need this game.

15. B34$T

B34$T Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2009
    They never do sales after the intro sale. I wish other devs implemented this as well.

16. Kepa

Kepa Well-Known Member

May 16, 2009
    We're going to have some universal support, not sure to what extent yet because we haven't gotten around to it. Really busy with some other stuff. Display support (even if it's just making sure the pixels aren't blurry) and a control scheme, minimum.

I actually like KRPG graphics, just not the other stuff KRPGs do.

We have a general policy of not having sales after the initial sale. SQH and Hook Champ will never go on sale, for example. Sometimes I consider putting Hook Worlds (99 cents already) for free, but I can't do that without figuring out some sort of serious bonus for actually having bought the game.

17. ProtoEclipse

ProtoEclipse Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2011
    The game looks great, was just wondering how long the intro sale would be, seeing as I may not be able to purchase it immediately after release.

18. Ashflow

Ashflow Well-Known Member

Jan 9, 2011
    MI
    Hey Kepa, when there's exclusive stuff for early adopters, is that the only way you'll ever get the exclusive stuff? Is there any way you can earn the stuff in game? If not, I'd suggest doing so for people unfortunate enough to not know your games exist while the exclusive stuff's being given out (like me with the Hook games).

Maybe make the stuff the most expensive things in the game, or hide them in the most devilish hiding spots you can think of, but it'd be nice to be able to get the content somehow. Seems kind of unfair for people that discover the game after the early adopter stuff is over.

Not that this will be a problem for me with Mage Gauntlet ;)

19. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    #19 Dazarath, Jul 10, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2011
    Oh, I wasn't talking about RCG specifically. I just meant that devs in general could follow your model of rewarding early adopters. While you guys may not run sales, 90% of other devs do, and it would help keep people actually buying their games on release day, rather than just waiting for them to appear on FAAD or whatever. I think it's a great policy you guys have, and I'm already looking forward to Mage Gauntlet and the RocketCat pet.

The Mage Gauntlet website says that early adopters get the goodies for free, while it'll be a $2 IAP for late adopters.

20. Pacificsun0481

Pacificsun0481 Well-Known Member

Jul 10, 2010
    Sacramento, CA
    Stoked about universal support. Thanks for answering.

As long as it runs native (without 2x mode), I'm happy. Even if it looks like it does on iPhone...but native or iPhones retina for iPad. It doesn't need to look better, of any of this makes sense, lol