Rankings tracker app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by gmatom, Jun 10, 2009.

1. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

A short plug for my most recent non-game app, AppRankings, that just got approved. It's really intended for developers, although anyone could use it if they have favorite apps they want to keep an eye on.

AppRankings lets you track multiple apps in their top 100 app store rankings for any category and country. Instead of scrolling through a bunch of App Store screens looking for you app, you just add it to AppRankings and whenever you want you can refresh it (it's a bit addictive to keep checking during the day :) ) and it'll show whether your ranking is up, down or the same. You can also view the rankings you've tracked for an app over time in different scaled charts.

Here's the iTunes link (screenshots and more info there):

http://www.itunes.com/app/apprankings

and a few promo codes if you want to try it out (I'd appreciate any feedback or reviews!):

RML979FRXRWE
    RXEXAFJPXRAA
    9T4WHHKTKPF7

Glenda
    Maverick Software

2. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
  3. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

It looks like you are ranked 157, AppRankings can only detect the rankings in the top 100 per category. I tried to make that pretty clear in the description, maybe I need to reword it to make it clearer?

Glenda

4. Pheebau

Pheebau Well-Known Member

Hi Glenda,

Just curious - why can't you get the actual ranking past 100 like this website? is that Apple not allowing this for an app in the store?

Nice app btw!

Cheers

5. kwigbo

kwigbo Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Flex/iPhone developer
    Why did you set a restriction on the top 100 only?

6. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    It's not a restriction the developer has set.

I'd guess that's he's scraping the top 100 ratings from the iTunes server itself - this only gives you the top 100.

7. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    I just bought this. Great app! :)

8. lubby

lubby Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Feedback

Firstly, nice app, I paid 2 bucks for it :) It seems like a handy app, but seriously limited and awkward to use in that you must clone a single app entry multiple times - once for each country :(

The way you have presented it makes it difficult to track apps breaking into or falling out of the top 100 unless you are already watching that particular app/country combination, the combinations rack up quickly when tracking more than one app. I sure dont want to go through and set up a watch for all those possible app/country combinations. Not to mention it would make navigation on the AppRankings page clumsy because of huge lists of app/country overcrowding. I want to watch all apps and all countries.

Why not have all countries under a single app entry. Maybe optionally hiding countries where the app does not and has not made a showing.

So turn AppRankings into Applications (list of users apps)
    Once user selects an app show a list of countries that app exists in.
    Select a country to show the chart.

IMHO navigation and ease of use go up up up.

You asked for feedback :)

Cheers,
    Dan

9. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

Update & promo codes

Our 1.3 update for AppRankings just got approved, and it now lets you sort by ranking + add tracking in multiple countries at once.

I'm looking at doing a big update in the future that gives you a more dynamic way to track apps, so if you don't know what countries they might be ranked in, it will find them for you.

Here's a few more promo codes if any developers here want to give AppRankings a try. And if you do use it, I'd appreciate any App Store reviews, it seems most of the people that review it are users that have problems or can't figure it out but never contact me for support so I can help them :(

39EJ4P7LKYKN
    9Y7TYH6EJ4PF
    R76HPAFTNR76
    PYKNT7MYWRLN

10. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Thanks, took R76HPAFTNR76.

I left a 5-star review in iTunes for you. :)

11. Little White Bear Studios

Little White Bear Studios Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Aug 27, 2008
    Just left a review. I thought I had before, so I apologize. I use your app multiple times a day to track all my apps. I really like the addition of the change difference numbers. Thanks!

12. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

Thanks much!

Glenda

13. kohjingyu

kohjingyu Well-Known Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Student/Developer
    Singapore
    Nice app, but could it be modified to include more than the top 100 list?

NR means no ranking, right?

14. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

Yes, NR is no ranking. I haven't found a way to get rankings outside top 100 unfortunately :(

15. gmatom

gmatom Well-Known Member

Top 200!

Good news everyone who uses AppRankings or was thinking of picking it up. I just submitted an update today that lets you track in the Top 200 of all categories, plus the Top Grossing Apps category. As a bonus, the scan speed is about two or three times faster.

Hopefully we'll get approved in 10-14 days. The update is free of course, so if you pick up AppRankings now you'll get the new functionality soon.

Glenda

16. simplymuzik3

simplymuzik3 Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2009
    I have a quick question. Can you track any apps or just your own apps? I would like to track my competition as well. Please let me know, thanks!

17. ethanwa

ethanwa Well-Known Member

Mar 8, 2009
    gmatom -

I use your app every day! Thank you for making it. It's fantastic. Couple of questions....

1. applyzer.com can get Top 1000 rankings. Maybe you could team up with that guy or offer him some cash in order to find out his secret for getting Top 1000? I'd pay $20 for an app that can get Top 1000.

2. How did you do the graph on your app? Did you use a custom IB control you purchased? Or did you deign the whole graph yourself?

Thanks.

18. ichromo

ichromo Well-Known Member

Just was going to buy it, and - this app is not in the App Store anymore.
    What happened?

19. tenors

tenors Member

Sep 20, 2009
    did you set the release date for the update in the future?

that might've taken the app off the app store - I can't find it either.

20. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put too much faith in rankings over 100, anyway. When the Apple ratings briefly showed the top 200, I saw a few of my apps hovering in there that were listed way lower in some of the other lists.

When Piano Cats briefly broke into the top 100 in its category in the US and most of Europe, Mobclix had me at 3000+:rolleyes: