Are FF1 and FF2 the ONLY Final Fantasy games coming out for iPhone?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by tzual, Feb 27, 2010.

1. tzual

tzual Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2009
    See title. I do not really have an interest in FF1 or 2 and i was wondering if they're making 4. The 4th FF is my favorite one of ALL time. Are the other titles in the works, or are they stopping after 2? I would be really disappointed if they stopped. :(

2. NolbertoS

NolbertoS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    It all depends on the sales of final fantasy 1 and 2 on the iPhone. If sales are slow, than square enix won't bother to port the rest. So to answer your question, they aren't working on the other titles until they see sales go through the roof. So help out and rebuy these classics to convince square enix otherwise.

3. blake

blake Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2010
    Exactly..

By the way I have a question for all FF/FF2 owners. Which one is better in your opinion. I want to pick one up but cant decide.

Thanks

4. STP_Tim

STP_Tim Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2009
    It all depends, but I do know Squeenix is working on an iPhone-exclusive RPG.

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Don't know if you noticed, but FF1 is the top grossing app in the US and close to the top selling. FF2 is at #4 in the top grossing list. My guess is that the question of whether sales will be slow has been answered.

As to the OPs question, who knows?

6. NolbertoS

NolbertoS Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2009
    #6 NolbertoS, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    yeah I noticed it, but less than 1 week sales don't convince square enix otherwise after a month if sales are still very strong, they'll announce more titles. So at the moment I'm hesitant to say based on 1 week's sales that final fantasy is getting more ports. Remember that square enix's sales volume expectations differs from an independant 3rd party developers expectations. But can't hurt to dream I guess.

7. I have a feeling it's Top Grossing mainly because of the price tag, even though FF1 is #4 Top Paid. FF2 is only 22.

8. Santoron

Santoron Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    I have a hard time believing these games will gross more money for SE than the PSP versions they are based on, especially with a healthy PSP install base in Japan and the rabid attention the series recieves at home. And those PSP iterations failed to get the ball rolling on more ports for THAT system.

Anything is possible, I suppose, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

9. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    It depends on how the sales for FF1&2 are.

10. JKK Photography

JKK Photography Well-Known Member

Feb 27, 2010
    /dev/null
    Yeah, it is all in the sales.

However, judging by how quickly FF1 has jumped into the top 25 (at least in the U.S.), it looks like Square Enix has done pretty well.

I'd love FF4 to come out to, it was (and still is) my favorite as well. :)

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    SE has already announced more titles for the iPhone; the question is whether porting old properties is profitable. The fact that they unseated Plants vs. Zombies (the fastest selling game in App Store history) in one day is nothing short of a triumph. Keep in mind that ports involve a much lower investment than original properties. Lower investment + better sales = higher profits. The economic incentive is already there. Now, that doesn't mean that SE is moving ahead with more ports, but it does mean that they've found an audience for them. What they do with that audience remains to be seen.

12. iball

iball Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2009
    #12 iball, Feb 27, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
    The iPhone market is there if SE is serious about it.

The iPhone was launched on 29 June, 2007.
    Total iPhone sales to date are around 42.48 million.
    This isn't taking into account the iPod Touch. Add that in and it's closing in on 70 million total iPhone OS devices sold to date.
    And growing every quarter.
    Toss in the future iPad sales and its potential for growth grows even more.

The PSP was launched on 12 December, 2004.
    Total PSP sales as of 3 AUG 2009 are around 56 million.
    And sales numbers are showing pretty stagnant growth. Certainly not the sales rampage the iPhone OS devices are currently on.
    And let's face facts: the PSP Go is a frigging disaster.
    And there haven't been too many "must have" PSP games since 2004. It seems ot be getting pretty weak lately. I foresee more and more PSP devs either cross-developing for both platforms or ditching the PSP entirely.

So technically, not only are there are more iPhone OS devices than there are PSP OS devices but the brand is much more recognizable.

So guess which one has the bigger potential market? iPhone OS.
    Which mobile gaming platform has a lower cost-of-entry and lower development overhead? iPhone OS. It's a $99 development program buy-in, however it requires the purchase of a Mac, so let's say a $1600 total buy in.

For the PSP it's a $1500 development program buy-in, however it still requires the purchase of a PC so let's say a total of $3000 total buy-in.
    It's a pretty stupid developer who doesn't see those numbers and promptly takes advantage of a larger market, easier buy-in, and complete store package.
    SE is going to bring a LOT more games to the iPhone platform in the future. It's pretty much easy money for them and they know it.

I'd rather see FF VII on the iPhone myself.
    It's possible to do it now on jailbroken 3GS phones and it runs fairly smooth, so it's not like it can't be done.

13. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    yeah i feel the same, id love to see more of the installments on here, im already more than halfway through with FFI.

14. Scottlarsen

Scottlarsen Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2009
    Let's hope SE has better sense than this. Why settle for Japan when the world awaits? If SE is serious, this market can be their's. The RPG fare out now leaves much to be desired when compared to SE's already created potential.

15. Me4Rpg

Me4Rpg Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    if they had released one of the later titles i think it would of sold really good.

16. BlazeX444

BlazeX444 Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    surely, i wonder how FF8 would run on the iphone...

17. Noman

Noman Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    You do have to remember that especially for ipod touch owners a lot of them, (even the majority possibly) Don't care about gaming past free games or maybe doodle jump. Whereas every psp owner intends to play games on it. The numbers are still impressive but you have to keep the market in mind. I am playing through FF VI on my JB'ed ipod and I am loving it.

18. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    If it ran on a PSX, it will likely run on an iPhone. Keep in mind that the elaborate backgrounds are all pre-rendered, and the 3D models are crude by today's standards.

19. Austin:]

Austin:] Well-Known Member

Feb 22, 2010
    I doubt it.

20. k1ngofk1ngs

k1ngofk1ngs Well-Known Member

Oct 21, 2009
    New Zealand
    Even though it wont happen ffvii would blitz sales records if re-released. We can all hope but jailbreaking seems the only way.