Eliminate is disappointing

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by 20happyballs, Nov 2, 2009.

1. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    #1 20happyballs, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
    As you guys all know, the game that a lot of us have been waiting for, Eliminate, was finally released to the public. I, myself, was very excited for this game. But now that I have it, I'm not sure what all the hype was about. To put it bluntly, I don't really care for this game anymore.

What's weird is that I thought I liked it at first but then I later realized that it wasn't all that great. When I first got the game and joined my first online match, I did have fun. The only problem was that the controls were annoying. I used to play a lot of Modern Combat and I got good at that game, and so I thought that I just needed time to warm up. But 6 matches later I felt that I was still having about the same amount of hardship as when I started. And so I went back to Modern Combat after putting it down for all this time, and man was I surprised. Modern Combat was better in every way. The game felt smoother, the graphics looked better, and most importantly the controls were 10 times better. After playing Modern Combat again, I almost don't even want to play Eliminate anymore. What do you guys think? Anyone on the same boat as me?

Oh, and I just looked it up, Gameloft is still going to release their multiplayer update for Modern Combat.
    Click this if your a non believer. It was posted less than 2 weeks ago. http://twitter.com/gameloft/status/5093742460

2. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    I haven't seen Eliminate yet (this whole get yourself a Canadian account thing is insane) but there is no way, even if it looked and played like the best console FPS ever, that it could ever come close to living up to the hype generated on TA.

I'm predicating that we will be seeing a lot of people complaining about the gameplay and even more complaining about the payment system. These people will be outnumbered by those who leap to it's defense to explain why the complainer didn't get it.

3. Freeway82

Freeway82 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2008
    Yes, OP, i agree with you that MC Sandstorm is a better looking, better playing game, thanks to the floating V.Joystick but you have to understand that eliminate is a multiplayer game, thus more frantic than Sandstorm.

The Eliminate game is OK, i just hate the ngmoco worshipping that goes on, on there forums.

4. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Yeah, I definitely got all into the hype for this game. I guess its the hype that probably ruined this game for me. I mean, it by no mean sucks. It's just that I was expecting this game to blow everything else out of the water. My expectations were too high.

5. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    my hype for Elim has gone down, but i still love it. tho i did get frustrated sometimes..it still is fun, and once u get used to the controls u dont even think bout what ur fingers are doing anymore, u just focus on killing :)

6. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    'Oh, and I just looked it up, Gameloft is still going to release their multiplayer update for Modern Combat.'

....yeah right! Stop telling jokes

7. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    It blew everything out of the water for me, except, maybe, Modern Combat

8. sour

sour Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2009
    School...
    Aurora, Colorado
    I agree with you derek. Wen I first picked up this game, it was so hard for me to get used to the game. After the first day or so, I'm just out there shootin people and having a great time doing it. But, I guess it's all about personal preference. Some people will like the game and on the other hand, others will not...

9. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    agree the game is so boring

10. hex_me

hex_me Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Estimator
    Earth
    ..so kinda like what you're doing now? Oh, but you haven't played yet?fool . I'm no worshipper nor do I think it's near perfect. Play it, then have whine.

11. 20happyballs

20happyballs Member

Sep 7, 2009
    Well, why don't you check out this twitter post from Gameloft. It's less than 2 weeks old.

http://twitter.com/gameloft/status/5093742460

12. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2009
    I agree that MC:S has better graphics,controls, and almost everything else except it doesn't have online at the moment! If gameloft can implement online as well as ngmoco did for Eliminate, Ngmoco will have a very dim future for Eliminate!

13. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Agreed....oh and hex_me is a fool

Hex_Me please shut up. You have no clue as to what your saying. Gameloft has said that online multi-player is coming to Modern Combat (guys there was a thread on this some where...it said it was due close to winter, if someone can find it and put it on I'd appreciate it). As for this game, i absolutely hate the controls. Modern Combat is superior in that aspect and in all others. On another note I did try the Canadian account thing and i got this game the day it came out. I must say that i spent more time making the Canadian account then playing this game. I am very disappointing, and i recommend that everyone wait until Ngmoco does an update before trying this game.

14. Oliver

Oliver Well-Known Member

I played a few rounds and I’m also disappointed. Ok, I really don’t like FPS and Deathmatch, but I LOVED Modern Combat for the great graphics even on older devices and the PERFECT (!) control scheme. So, what disappoints me is that the control scheme of Eliminate isn’t as good. I might have fun with the game, but they made errors, Gameloft learnt with their previous games and now no longer do. Like: Use fullscreen swipes to look around and put a hidden button in the middle of the screen to enable the sniper view. Oh, Modern Combat has similar buttons, like the shoot button, but if you swipe along and touch this button, nothing happens. If I swipe along the middle of the screen in Eliminate, in 60% of my tries the damn sniper view comes up.

So, I don’t like the game. The menus and intro sequences are fantastic, but Modern Combat just gave us the best FPS (graphically and controls-wised) and I can’t accept a game being below this new standard.

Yeah, there’s the multiplayer issue. I know. But I’, on Edge, so for me, that doesn’t matter that much ;).

15. JoshCM

JoshCM Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2009
    Game Designer
    Upstate NY
    oops wrong thread

16. nodoctors

nodoctors Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2009
    gahahaha i never bought into the hype to begin with! i don't even think i've made a post in any eliminate thread until now. that game looked like boring crap to begin with. i honestly feel that a frantic online shooter with the iphone's interface would end up being more frustrating than enjoyable. plus i foresee a bunch of shotgun/spread type weapon spam in a game like this where people will convince themselves they're pro because they can aim at someone's general direction and hit a button. i've been a die hard fps fan since wolf 3, and nothing has really satisfied my needs as far as a new fps ip on the iphone goes. modern combat might have come the closest, but even modern combat's biggest fans are willing to admit it can be boring and flawed. here's hoping Nova kicks it up another notch.

of course i'll still give eliminate a chance once it's released worldwide, but i think i'm going into it with a better mindset than those who hyped themselves up for months over a completely generic looking shooter. and no, online play doesn't automatically save anything. anybody remember the other free online fps game...ifps online? me either

17. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    You can take those same two paragraphs, add capitalization, and replace "iphone" with "PSP", and they would still ring true to me. FPS games in general are not ideal for portable or mobile devices. I wasn't even crazy about them on my PS2, to be honest -- I'm an old-school keyboard and mouse guy. nodoctors is right: it's important to reset your expectations before playing an FPS on the iPlatform (something that the truly hardcore players will not be able to do, so they might as well skip them). With the right understanding of the device's limitations, you can have a lot of fun with this kind of a game, but to expect a hardcore experience is foolish.

18. amusing Grace

amusing Grace Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2008
    Music, Muse, Magick
    Berlin, Germany
    Gameloft update announcements don´t mean a thing

I said it once, i´ll say it again:

Don´t believe promises by Gameloft.

They announced online multiplayer for Ferrari GT in the next update in the app-store description almost one year ago. And now? Still no online multiplayer despite several updates.
    And the best thing is, they even have the guts to leave that fake announcement since last year, even though a lot of people complained about it.

19. aluren

aluren Well-Known Member

May 27, 2009
    Yeah, with Nova coming out, I would think that Gameloft wouldn't do multiplayer for Modern Combat and that they'll force you to buy Nova if you want multiplayer.

20. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    I get down to iFPS