iTunes Connect Upload?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by WellSpentYouth, Mar 18, 2009.

1. WellSpentYouth

WellSpentYouth Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Hello! I just submitted my app iScreamer! to iTunes. One problem, I didn't upload the project file. DEVS, what file do you upload to apple as the application. Please be specific! Thank you!

2. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Anyone? When I upload the .app, it says it has something wrong in the info.plist. Does anyone know what that is?

3. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I had to compress the .app to a .zip file.

You might have to do this. Go to Project Edit Active Target... go to Properties... I think you may need to set an identifier, and a version number if it isn't there...

4. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Ok, well when I just try to open the .app, it says it can't launch, but my project works just fine.

5. BulletDev

BulletDev Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2008
    produce applications under "Bullet Development"
    Vancouver, BC
    From your signature, I'm assuming you figured it out...

6. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Hmmm... I'm a bit confused... Did you right click on your app file in finder, and compress it to a zip?

I'm pretty sure you have to submit the app file compressed as a zip file.

7. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Yes, I compressed it, but it won't even launch uncompressed. And no, I didn't figure it out. I submitted everything but the project. To clarify, I'll update the signature. It gives the pop up that allows you to report to apple, ignore, or relaunch.

8. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Also did you go into your project and go to Edit Active Target and check that you have a version number and an identifier?

I'm pretty sure that the app file that you submit to apple cannot be launched right then.... it can only be launched when it's downloaded from the app store. Remember when you build the app for submitting... just click Build... not Build and Go...

9. I would very much appreciate some sort of check-list for us noobs. For example, apparently we need to submit a 512x512 PNG for our app in our project- what is that used for, adverts?
    What do we name our identifier (could we have an example)?
    I suppose this kind of information might be available once I have set up my account and have access to the portal, but I have only signed up to the developer program atm. But still, having a checklist here could prepare new developers for when they do join.

10. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Concgrats on finishing your project, your further down the road than me mate, but I know this:

The 512x512 version of your appIcon is used for displaying in the AppStore. It should be identical to your appIcon in every way (apart from the size). You would therefore normally create the 512x512 version and downscale this to use as your 57x57 icon in your project...

:)

11. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Tell us the exact error message you get.

12. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I am uploading it in the special uploading program. It says in red "icon.png is not the correct format" or something to that effect. And then something about info.plist, but that goes off the alert and cannot be fully read. Thank you! What I can't figure out how to do is make a binary.

13. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    We could really use the exact error message to be able to help you.

The icon file should be 57x57 PNG format.

Ensure you specify the icon file name in your info.plist, 'Icon file'.

14. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    #14 WellSpentYouth, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Ok, thanks!

EDIT: I have all of that in my program. Here is what the error is in the application upload installer program. It sounds like I have the wrong format, but in the program the picture is the correct format and size.

iScream!.app/icon.png: icon is not in the proper device format
    Info.plist does not contain a CFBundleResourceSpecification
    Application failed codesign verification

15. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    #15 arkanigon, Mar 19, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2009
    Are you using an 8 bit png or a 24 bit png? Try both... if neither works, then it might be related to your graphics program....

I think the CFBundleResourceSpecification... I think that it is related to not having an identifier or version number... please go to Project Edit Active Target... then properties... make sure you have an identifier and version number written there... For instructions on what your identifier should be, please read the "Building your application with Xcode for Distribution" section number 6... (Program Portal, Distribution section)...

For the codesign error... make sure that when you go to Project Edit Active Target... then click the Build tab... then make sure you've selected the "Distribution" configuration at the top... then scroll down to Code Signing, and Code Signing Identity... make sure that you've selected "Any iPhone Device" on the left, and your Distribution Profile on the right...

16. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    Hey, thanks for your time! I'll get right on that. Thank you!!

17. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I can't get the distribution provisioning thing to show up. Where do I drag it in? I just have my certificate, the app ID, and stuff in the provisioning profile. It doesn't show up in code signing either.

18. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Did you follow the steps in:

"Obtaining your iphone distribution certificate"

"create and download your iphone distribution profile for app store distribution"

?

If you go in your program portal... click Provisioning on the left hand menu... and click the Distribution tab on the top... your distirbution provsioning profiles are there... download your profile... and drag it onto the xcode icon in your dock... or the itunes icon in your dock.

did you already do these steps?

19. WellSpentYouth

Jan 11, 2009
    iPhone programmer
    App Tech Studios, USA
    I did these steps. Where should they appear? In the organizer???

20. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Yes, you should see them in the Organizer, provisioning profiles...