Need help finding the right RPG

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by RLennon, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    I suggest doom and destiny. It's a recent sleeper hit and cheap.

2. +1 for Doom and Destiny.

3. Bytebrain

Bytebrain Well-Known Member

Jul 24, 2010
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Shit, I didn't read the original post thoroughly, I guess.
    Baldur's Gate won't do for him, as it's iPad only.
    It could never work on a phone.

4. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    SOLD!!! I just downloaded Doom and Destiny, and put a watch on FFT. If the trend for December price drops continues, I will grab FFT then.

Thanks everyone, this was my first post and I am very pleased at the support I received!!!

Oh, and sorry for the double post.

Rob

5. Nullzone

Nullzone 👮 Spam Police 🚓

Jul 12, 2013
    Male
    #25 Nullzone, Dec 4, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
    Welcome to the merry bunch then, Rob ;)

If you are a fan of roleplaying games, you should switch to an iPad.
    All the really great ones are either iPad only (BG, Spiderweb games) or play much better on one.
    I think Silversword has an iPhone version too; but I have to admit it felt too retro for me to get into it.

Also take a look at The Quest series. The games are excellent, if a bit grindy and narrow in terms of character builds. I'd recommend to play the ones for lower level characters; the highlevel ones I found rather underwhelming gameplay-wise: mainly because they cater to their hardcore fans with insanely powered characters.

Ash 1 & 2 work on iPods as well.

And huh? No Chaos Rings on the small devices? I am pretty sure I played the first one on my iPod.

6. ScotDamn

ScotDamn Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    You got a fantastic RPG there in D&D. I think it's a smart choice waiting a couple weeks for a possible sale for FFT.

One day I hope to have the extra cash for an iPad. There are entirely too many iPad exclusives that I wish to play. That said though, a ton of RPG's are totally enjoyable on a 4 inch screen. If you have the cash, definitely go for an iPad but don't let that deter RPG gaming on the phone. :p

Oh and yeah Ash is pretty great, I forgot about that! I bought the second one but haven't played it yet, thanks for the reminder!

7. Mene

Mene <b>ACCOUNT CLOSED</b>: <em>Officially</em> Quit iO

Mar 18, 2012
    #27 Mene, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
    Been reading this thread and saw Doom & Destiny.

Just bought it but I'm stuck in the menus atm and can't seem to get back to the game.

One complaint with it so far, the help screen.. Press the button to show the controls and I barely have chance to focus on it before the screen closes!!

Wish it was toggle open/close or hold to keep open. :(

Edit:- getting the hang of the menus now, good game!

8. Montanx

Montanx Well-Known Member

Mar 3, 2012
    San Diego
    Ash 2 is not a thing, they promised 5 chapters but stopped at 2 over a year ago, sorry. Ash 1 is awesome but 2 was a step back even gameplay wise.

9. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Apparently there was some suggestion that published Konami obstructed further chapter releases but that the developer has those in que somewhere. Hopefully it's true and we eventually see a full release if/when their Konami contract runs out.

10. RLennon

RLennon Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2013
    I have Knights of Pen and Paper. It's a good game, but one thing did not click for me. I did not like the 'be your own DM and regulate your own difficulty'. Kinda big turn off for me.

I am really liking Doom and Destiny. One other game I saw was Gurk III. It looks like a charming retro RPG. How deep is the gameplay and story?

11. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Gurk III has a really novel and fun combat mechanic with turn based battles that play out on a SRPG style battlefiend requiring you position characters in battle formations (melee characters have to move next to enemies). The story is plain but it's got really great world exploration with diverse environments, random battles, and great chiptunes. In my opinion Gurk III is better than Doom & Destiny.

12. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Gurk III is an awesome game. I will say some of my favorite aspects of it are rolling and choosing your characters and the epic chiptunes. They remind me of melodic black metal. :D

13. ScotDamn

Patreon Silver

Jul 8, 2013
    Wireless Sales
    Happy Daddy
    Don't be sorry. I was completely unaware of the unfinished story. I was always distracted by other RPG's before I could get to Ash 2. The little I did see was the new battle mechanics which seemed to be cool.. It's too bad they didn't continue. Hopefully what undeadcow said is true.