Universal Temple Run 2 - (by Imangi)

Discussion in 'iPhone and iPad Games' started by Echoseven, Jan 16, 2013.

1. CecilMcW00t

CecilMcW00t Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2012
    LOL! Yes, I felt so silly once I saw the little paths. >_<

2. RebornProphet

RebornProphet Well-Known Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Scotland, UK
    I've no issues with response time on my iPad 3, as my current high score of 2.4m shows, but it is less smooth when compared to my 4S.

To the bloke who said, "The graphics are better on this one which would explain the frame rate", I say this:

Run NFS Most Wanted on your iPad 3.

Point? If it can run that level of graphics smoothly it can run a simple runner game.

3. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2012
    I've played the game, but I don't like it as same as Temple Run. Perhaps because animation of this game is not smooth than previous game. :(

Note: I've played it 2 games on Ipad 2 and iphone 4S.

4. Eoghann

Eoghann Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    IT Guy/Graphic Designer/Gamer
    New York
    #144 Eoghann, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2013
    Just wish they would've stuck more to the Scarlett design from the comics and....fleshed the character out.
    In-game Scarlett is so scrawny. Ahem. :p:eek:

[​IMG]

5. Adams Immersive

Adams Immersive Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Dec 5, 2008
    Freelance interactive design and programming
    Ohio
    No--I tried it--but it should be easy enough to add! We should politely ask for that feature to return. I'll wait a week or two for the initial craziness to die down and then I'll email them to ask about that.

Fingers crossed!

(It may be, in actual playtesting, that iCade affects the scoring. Two possible solutions: either separate leaderboards OR, just don't worry about it! After all, people with faster computers--or iPads!--have had an advantage for years. Many Universal games will have a visibility advantage on iPad. So... some small number of people will have a precision advantage because they bought an iCade. They still need their reflexes and awareness above all!)

6. NaiveCynic

NaiveCynic Well-Known Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Runs great on iPhone 5. Smooth framerate and responsive controls. Overall I'm liking it more than the original TR but the gems for continues kinda kills any sense of accomplishment as for as high score goes, so I'm really unmotivated to keep playing. A shame because otherwise it improves on the original in nearly every way.

7. syafectz

syafectz Member

Sep 16, 2012
    A bit lag on my ipad 3, but i still can play it. But i hope this lag will be fix ASAP if u want me to buy your in app purchase :p

8. BrettArchibald

BrettArchibald Well-Known Member

Jul 17, 2008
    Male
    Self-employed interactive designer.
    Formerly Zimbabwe - now England.
    What does one have to do to get a scenery change in this game?
    My highest score so far is over 200,000 and my best distance is over 3,200 metres but I've yet to see these mine carts I've heard about?
    Is it based on distance run in a game? Have I not run far enough? Or is it something else? If it is distance, I'm guessing a LOT of people are never going to see the mine carts, as Game Center says I'm in the top 20%...

9. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    Well, you haven't really run very far at all at 3.2k, but the mine sections are a bit random: sometimes you can get two or three within a couple of minutes, and sometimes you can reach a distance of 10k without seeing even one.

10. Isurf

Isurf New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    Ok whats the green shield for? Says its for obstacles but i still die with it!

11. Borus

Borus Member

Mar 29, 2012
    #151 Borus, Jan 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
    HATE the "Save Me" wait button. Hope they add a "Let Me Die" button to skip the wait because this sucks.

Other things to note:

Music: With all the money they made, I expected them to at least commission a new soundtrack. It's the same music from the original game, and that was not very good.

Popins: as has noted by many, the objects being... slice-in on the distance is very... lame. I rather there was nothing on the horizon than see that lame slice-in.

Visual Cues: Unfortunately, there are too many places where you can’t tell you must turn unless you look all the time at the floor. They should have taken queues from games like Agent Dash and add some visual cues that are a bit more centered to the player's view. That would make the game extremely more enjoyable by being able to actually look at the panorama you racing through.

Back-To-Back Obstacles: Every so often you will find obstacles that are impossible to pass through without a power up. Good example would be a river followed by a spinning-spikey log.

Agent Dash set a lot of high bars on this genre (IMO) and a game of this type that does not give you the ability to slide down from mid-jump feels... archaic.

Edit to add: Oh and the tilting can use a calibration or sensitivity setting option. The default settings require me to turn my device to an uncomfortable degree. I "work" in an office with lots of lights, tilting the thing as much as it requires off me forces me to turn it into a reflective mirror... cant se @#$% and end up dying due to the light reflection. Even without reflection it is still too uncomfortable for me to hold the device at that angle.

Finally, I got to say I dislike the 90 degree slide-turns and the tilting mechanics. After playing Agent Dash and Epic Knight, the slide-to-change-lanes mechanic feels a lot more fluid. As for the turns, the game [Temple Run 2] did actually a great job with the curvy paths, it feels much more organic, but hitting those 90 degree turns kills the organic feel. Again, would have felt way better with Agent Dash style turns.

I may still give this a bit more time, I already unlocked everything on Agent Dash and all but the trinkets in Epic Knight so meh... but this gets me thinking...

Would it not be EPIC if Sega made an over-the-shoulder runner based on Sonic the Hedgehog?

12. Borus

Borus Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Think it will protect you from ONE obstacle, it seems to break as soon as it saves you once.

13. Isurf

Isurf New Member

Jan 18, 2013
    So weird trued multiple times didnt work. They need to re do this game lol

14. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yup... just one obstacle.

15. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    They already tried at the Doodle Jump formula... maybe Temple Run is next? With Sonic natural speed, all the loops and twirls, hidden paths while in sphere mode, collecting rings, platforming and all those enemies to kill? That would be really really awesome.

16. Appletini

Appletini Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Ankh-Morpork
    I've used many shields since the game came out, and haven't had a single issue with them on either device on which I've played the game; the likelihood is that you either misremember what happened or simply died to something from which the shield won't protect you.

Points to note about the shield: it protects you from one obstacle, it runs out over time even if you don't use it up (important to remember), and it doesn't prevent you from falling.

17. silversabeast

silversabeast Member

May 22, 2012
    Lots of lag and slowdowns on my iPhone 4....I wouldn't mind a dumbing down of the graphics to fix this.

18. x999x

x999x Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2009
    I had the same problem, and unfortunately its an artificial level of difficulty added to the game engine because the game "draws in" its terrain almost right before you very eyes.

When I first started encountering these split paths with a fall off straight ahead, I would continue to fall because I was waiting for the rest of the ground to "draw in." About 3 deaths later and I figured it out, it's not going to draw in, its supposed to be like that. Sigh.

Its a real shame, my GF loves TR and TR:Brave, its all she plays. So when I showed her TR2 the first thing she says is "why does the ground suddenly appear like that?" She's the epitome of a casual gamer, and she wouldn't play games if they weren't available on her phone. To have her comment on the game's lackluster draw distance should be very troubling for Imangi.

I deleted my copy of TR2, sadly. I still have TR1 installed however.

19. Borus

Borus Member

Mar 29, 2012
    Plus the insane number of player characters to unlock, all with a few unique abilities. The ring mechanic can be changed to just be a currecy instead of health. Sega!!! Make Sonic Run!!! :p

20. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    I totally respect your opinion, bro. *snicker*